2013 August Plugin Sales Discussion : 50,000 EVs since 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dm33 said:
... I'm hoping Nissan will improve the range on the 2015 Leaf to be over 100 EPA range.

Currently, the LEAF gets a blended EPA range of 75 (66 miles at 80% and 84 miles at 100%). Just with a software change, the range goes to 84 EPA miles for a 100% charge. It's a 19% improvement to get 100 miles EPA.

scottf200 said:
When sales are questioned the obvious next step is why and you know it where that leads. Your and instigator. Just fess up! :)
Yes - the idea was to discuss why. I welcome all thoughtful answers ;)

http://insideevs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAF, 2,420

Volt 3,351

LEAF Sales still constrained by supply problems:

...In August, most LEAFs that arrived at dealerships were essentially sold off immediately and inventory of LEAFs dropped for the 2nd consecutive month to approximately 1,800 units...
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-set-all-time-record-in-august-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In that article ^^^, they seem to calculate Smyrna's monthly output by looking at sales and changes in inventory in the USA .

However, the plant in Tennessee also supplies Canada.

Berlino said:
In that article ^^^, they seem to calculate Smyrna's monthly output by looking at sales and changes in inventory in the USA .

However, the plant in Tennessee also supplies Canada.

Smryna is really limited by offshore resources. Of the 2,500 odd they can produce some does go to Canada. But for 2013 MY they were mostly batch made/shipped just after they did a cut-off on US dealer stock deliveries. 2013 inventory for Canada was made/shipped in June.

Won't have Canadian numbers for another hour, but they only sold 42 of the 2013 edition last month after selling 44 of mostly old inventory the 2 months prior. Also in the 'small potatoes' category you'll see the end of the MY 2013 run from Smyrna launch the vehicle in Mexico - likely in late November-ish

Just talked to the Chevy rep about an hour ago - she says 102 Spark EVs were sold.

So GM is pretty much selling whatever they happen in ship to dealers on the car...which is good.

Statik said:
Just talked to the Chevy rep about an hour ago - she says 102 Spark EVs were sold.

So GM is pretty much selling whatever they happen in ship to dealers on the car...which is good.

...further to that

Fit EV - 66
Accord PHEV 44 (why is this sold in the US?)
i-MiEV 30 (about 60 left in inventory - all 2012 models)

Statik said:

Has GM announced any plans to produce any more than ~100 Sparks a month?

How many?

At that production rate, Fiat (we don't want to build BEVs)is ahead of GM (so far) in the "compliance BEV" sales race...

edatoakrun said:
Statik said:

Has GM announced any plans to produce any more than ~100 Sparks a month?

How many?

At that production rate, Fiat (we don't want to build BEVs)is ahead of GM (so far) in the "compliance BEV" sales race...

Never heard about specific allocation for US (they do sell them outside the US as well). A ways back 2,000 was loosely being being thrown around for total first year production in Korea...but don't quote me, that is only top of my head.

Also, Toyota sold 1,791 Prius PHVs in August! Crazy big numbers...that means August will eclipse 10K cumulative for first time.

Statik said:
Won't have Canadian numbers for another hour, but they only sold 42 of the 2013 edition last month after selling 44 of mostly old inventory the 2 months prior.

August sales in Canada will be ~220, if reports of Canada's initial MY13 LEAF shipment only consisting of 250 vehicles are correct. (The official launch date was July 19 and the supply was quickly sold-out, with most customers taking delivery in early August.)

scottf200 said:
Title: August Best Selling Month Ever For EVs; Chevy Volt To Be First Plug-In To Pass 3,000 Mark
http://insideevs.com/august-best-selling-month-ever-for-evs-chevy-volt-to-be-first-plug-in-to-pass-3000-mark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, but the Volt is a hybrid, not an EV. So it is the first plug-in hybrid to pass the 3K mark. You're comparing apples to oranges with the LEAF. Your comparison should be with other plug-in hybrids such as the PIP.

Sour grapes, perhaps?...

LEAFfan said:
scottf200 said:
Title: August Best Selling Month Ever For EVs; Chevy Volt To Be First Plug-In To Pass 3,000 Mark
http://insideevs.com/august-best-selling-month-ever-for-evs-chevy-volt-to-be-first-plug-in-to-pass-3000-mark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry, but the Volt is a hybrid, not an EV. So it is the first plug-in hybrid to pass the 3K mark. You're comparing apples to oranges with the LEAF. Your comparison should be with other plug-in hybrids such as the PIP.

Statik said:
...Toyota sold 1,791 Prius PHVs in August! Crazy big numbers...that means August will eclipse 10K cumulative for first time.

What number will it take to get EV/PHEV sales up to over 1% of total US vehicle sales for the month?

Start the chant,

We're one percent,

We're one percent...

TomT said:
Sour grapes, perhaps?...

LEAFfan said:
scottf200 said:

Nope, just clarifying the comparisons. If people are going to compare, they need to be honest about it.

The high sales are getting some press coverage:

August Was A Hot Month for Electric Cars.

August was a hot month for plug-in cars, proving, among other things, that big price cuts can move both metal and lithium-ion batteries.

U.S. sales of the Nissan7201.TO +0.10% Leaf electric car, the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid and the Toyota7203.TO +0.48% Prius plug-in model hit their highest monthly totals ever last month, reflecting a combination of well-publicized price cuts and a rising tide of demand for all types of vehicles.

All together, sales of plug-in cars likely exceeded 10,000 vehicles for the month...

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/09/04/plugin/?link=mktw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFfan said:
CarZin said:
I could argue the Volt is more electric than the Leaf, since apparently the average Volt owner drives more electric miles per day than the average Leaf owner.

LOL, very funny. Try again. A PHEV is what it is, you can't change it to a BEV. :mrgreen:

"August Best Selling Month Ever For EVs; Chevy Volt To Be First Plug-In To Pass 3,000 Mark".

The Volt is as much an electric vehicle (EV, which is what the quote says) as a diesel-electric submarine is, and the Volt certainly is a Plug-in. They both can run (in the sub's case must run, when below snorkeling depth) completely off electricity provided by batteries, which provide power to an _electric motor_. Whether the electricity generation source is on or off the vehicle is irrelevant - the only determinant of what is or is not an EV is that an electric motor provides the motive force (MagLevs being something of a gray area), whether through wheels, propellers, tracks or what have you. HEVs, PHEVs, FCEVs, FCHVs, and BEVs are all EVs, as are trolleys, trolley buses, electric trains, diesel-electric locomotives, electric aircraft, and so on.

Berlino said:
August sales in Canada will be ~220, if reports of Canada's initial MY13 LEAF shipment only consisting of 250 vehicles are correct. (The official launch date was July 19 and the supply was quickly sold-out, with most customers taking delivery in early August.)

Well, I was WAY off. Only 56 LEAF's listed as being sold in August. Dealers are supposed to receive another batch of new LEAF's here shortly. Perhaps the figure of 250 was wrong, perhaps it included cars to be shipped in September.

LEAFfan said:
I think you've actually been featured in a movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back