2013 Leaf, how good is the air conditioning?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

I wear a tie to work, so I like to use the air-conditioner at times to keep the car cool. How well does the climate control work on the Leaf? Does it cool the car well?

dndrich said:
I wear a tie to work, so I like to use the air-conditioner at times to keep the car cool. How well does the climate control work on the Leaf? Does it cool the car well?
with my limited experience I can say that the AC works well but it's only been up to about 85 here, I'm sure that it doesn't need saying that using the AC will lower your range.

It often hits over 100 here in Tucson and it works great. Even on the hottest days I need only put the fan at a low setting, usually two.

DesertDenizen said:
It often hits over 100 here in Tucson and it works great. Even on the hottest days I need only put the fan at a low setting, usually two.
I would add that the AC is very efficient, and thus not much of a drain on the battery pack.

I can attest that this A/C works great, based on two years experience here in the Phoenix, AZ area. Worst case, I've driven the car after it has sat in the 120 degree heat of July, and it cooled just as quickly as any gas-powered vehicle I've used. In that situation, it was drawing about 3kW from the battery for a short while, then settled down to 1Kw or less in a few minutes.

Typically, 80-90 degree days only take about 0.5kW.

One nice feature of the car is that it is reasonable to leave the car (and A/C of course) running while you go into a store for 5 or 10 minutes. Once cooled, it doesn't take much power to keep it cool.

One nice feature of the car is that it is reasonable to leave the car (and A/C of course) running while you go into a store for 5 or 10 minutes. Once cooled, it doesn't take much power to keep it cool.

Good point phxsmiley. I never would stop for a quick errand with my dobie in the car with my previous vehicles. With the Leaf I crank the AC up and sneak in for a few minutes. I run it much higher when she is in the car compared to when I am by myself, so much so I am cold.

The LEAF's AC is quite good.

It has a great advantage over gasoline cars which invariably sandwich their AC condenser on top of a boiling-hot radiator! :roll:

The LEAF's A/C is sooo good... how good is it?
I live in Phoenix where 110+ degree days are not unusual in the summer. The LEAF handles them easily. It even does it when stopped in traffic; many ICE vehicles have trouble in that scene. It is also extremely efficient as others have mentioned. I use the climate control timer and Carwings to pre-cool the car. The LEAF will really spoil you.

phxsmiley said:
Just be sure you lock the car! When the LEAF is in Ready mode, anyone can get in and drive away with it, even without the key!

Back