2013 LEAF Specs, Pricing, Options Released In Japan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
I wonder if there is a cargo organizer in that picture or if the new cargo area really is that much less deep than the old? If the former, it would actually offer less utility for me...

evnow said:
This might be enough to make me upgrade if I can get a good 2 year lease in Jan/Feb.
2012102225.jpg

That looks to be the same depth to me. I'll have to go double-check my trunk now!

On the other hand, I hope Nissan offers a new cargo organizer to take advantage of this extra space, while providing a flat surface when the rear seats are folded.

JPWhite said:
... Either they ditched that to make place for the charging port opener (huge improvement IMHO) or the japs never had a panic button in the first place ...
I'm going to assume ignorance here, but "Jap" is an offensive racial slur which I don't think we need to use around here.

TEG said:
Yeah, I had to "swallow hard" to get past the headlight appearance.
But then the utilitarian side (they are LEDs, they do cut wind noise) won over...
In fact, they offer the best lighting pattern of any car I have ever owned.

I took a double-take the first time I saw the Leaf in person because of those headlights. Yes, they looked abnormal. But after a few weeks I became used it and now I like them. As you mentioned, they do work exceptionally well!

TonyWilliams said:
... Just cheaper and lighter, and not possible to upgrade to 16amp. The same one is in the Rav4, and Plug In Prius. It will support 240 modification (mine is already done in my Rav4, the very first one modified).

It will remain 12 amps.
Well, perhaps it will at least be cheaper than the current one so that I can keep my upgrade more cheaply if I turn the car in. :)

GetOffYourGas said:
You make very valid points. I know a lot of us are hoping that Nissan planned properly for this. For example, if they designed the battery right, in 5 years all the current owners should be able to upgrade to at least a 30kWh battery. Also, many of these changes are software updates (such as the percent SoC, and even the ability to turn off the heater. These *should* be pushed out to all current owners free of charge IMHO.
Personally, I would not hold your hopes up that high for this. Even with the 2013 it appears that Nissan has repackaged the modules to reduce weight - by the time 5 years rolls around with a different chemistry I have to presume they'll be on to their 3rd gen packaging - we will be lucky if they offer direct replacement modules at a reasonable price... I would love to be wrong, but historically manufacturers have paid very little attention to providing upgrades for old products.

TomT said:
I wonder if there is a cargo organizer in that picture or if the new cargo area really is that much less deep than the old? If the former, it would actually offer less utility for me... Perhaps it is just the POV of the camera but it sure LOOKS less deep...

evnow said:
This might be enough to make me upgrade if I can get a good 2 year lease in Jan/Feb.
2012102225.jpg

at first i thought the storage area was shallower as well but when looking at mine, i realised that i was judging the depth by the top of the "hump" and for you to do the same on the new picture you would kinda have to judge where that hump is. if you lay the seats down in the old LEAF you can get a better picture of the difference. from what i can tell, the depth is the same

davewill said:
I'm going to assume ignorance here, but "Jap" is an offensive racial slur which I don't think we need to use around here.

I doubt it was intended as anything other than an abbreviation... To call it a slur would require, IMHO, intent. I can give some examples, but that would be OT. ;)

kubel said:
davewill said:
I doubt it was intended as anything other than an abbreviation... To call it a slur would require, IMHO, intent. I can give some examples, but that would be OT. ;)
I don't think he meant it, either, but it's not acceptable regardless of "intent".

kubel said:
davewill said:

JPN is the abbreviation

kubel said:
History and past usage does not support your position, regardless of intent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty said:
kubel said:
History and past usage does not support your position, regardless of intent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1! You are absolutely correct Stoaty. And JP needs to apologize to the Japanese Community.

Sigh... Wouldn't be nice if, for once, a thread didn't head off on an acute tangent... And yes, I'm as responsible as anyone for that on occasion...

LEAFfan said:
Stoaty said:
kubel said:
History and past usage does not support your position, regardless of intent:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap
+1! You are absolutely correct Stoaty. And JP needs to apologize to the Japanese Community.

KJD said:
Anyone want to speculate on what MSRP will be on a 2013 with all the goodies ?
$40K :mrgreen:

Rationale: it's a bit less than in Japan, which suffers from the strong Yen, and it's in the same ballpark like a fully loaded Volt.

It is clear that the on-board AC charger will no longer be in the back (it seemed obvious that its original location there was only temporary awaiting for time for a new design -- apparently now ready for the 2013 model.) But looking at the old/new schematic:

http://www.mag-x.com/images_new/201210/23/20121023_1_2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

where is the new charger? I don't see it. And what confuses me more is the following statement: "High voltage unit, including an electric motor, inverter and DC/DC converter, was integrated, resulting in a 30 percent volume reduction and a 10 percent mass reduction" mean? The charger was not mentioned, so if it is not included in this "unit" where physically is it? It's pretty big in the old design, so it must have shrunk considerably in the new design not to show up, say behind the "high voltage unit".

Is anyone able to help me out? Perhaps its location is clarified in the non-English text/talk...

Nissan USA - MSRP excludes destination and handling charges, tax, title, license, and options

--- 2012 ----- 2013 guess

SL $37,250 ---$38,750
SV $35,200 ---$36,400
S ----N/A- ---$33,990

Back