2023 dead at the airport.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llopness

Just got back from a weeklong trip and our 2023 leaf is dead at the airport. car turns on and says the battery is at 0% and needs to be charged. we had 100% battery before going to the airport and in the 60s when parked. turned it off and and retrieved my baggage and then went back and unlocked to grab a waterbottle. took a video to show where my car was in the parking lot that shows it off. temperatures were around freezing all week.
any ideas on how this would happen?

Just got back from a weeklong trip and our 2023 leaf is dead at the airport. car turns on and says the battery is at 0% and needs to be charged. we had 100% battery before going to the airport and in the 60s when parked. turned it off and and retrieved my baggage and then went back and unlocked to grab a waterbottle. took a video to show where my car was in the parking lot that shows it off. temperatures were around freezing all week.
Do you know if the temperature during that week was below -4F the entire time? Even if it was, the Leaf would no longer use the battery heater after it dropped to 30% SOC or lower.

One thing that is unlikely, but I gotta ask ;) because it's happened to others before. Did you forgot to turn off the Leaf before you left? It will run forever this way, even if everything is off (climate control, radio, lights, etc.) until the battery is completely depleted and it hits shutdown.

When the 12v battery is "dead" in a Leaf, all bets are off (in the dash). It could tell you everything is malfunctioning...
Did you not read this:
car turns on and says the battery is at 0% and needs to be charged. we had 100% battery before going to the airport and in the 60s when parked.

Every trouble and trouble code can not be blamed on a 12 volt battery going dead, yes, it may throw an odd code when it does, but in this case it power up and was able to read SOC. You may WANT to believe every problem is related to a 12 volt battery going dead, and it would be nice if it was the cause of the majority of problems, but reality is far different.

Did you not read this:
car turns on and says the battery is at 0% and needs to be charged. we had 100% battery before going to the airport and in the 60s when parked.

Every trouble and trouble code can not be blamed on a 12 volt battery going dead, yes, it may throw an odd code when it does, but in this case it power up and was able to read SOC. You may WANT to believe every problem is related to a 12 volt battery going dead, and it would be nice if it was the cause of the majority of problems, but reality is far different.
That's because 95% of the time, it is the 12V battery. 🤣

I would be interested to get more information about your issue though, are you driving a 2023 S or 2023 SV with the larger battery pack?

Did you not read this:

I think he is just trying to be helpful and hopeful. It would be the cheapest and easiest fix. Though the other suggestion is also a reasonable explanation of what happened. There was a similar case on the forum but I’m having a hard time finding it. The guy thought he might have left it on but he didn’t know for sure. It was towed to a dealership and it took awhile to fix it. I wish I could find it so that you’d have another option to help you find a solution.

I think he is just trying to be helpful and hopeful. It would be the cheapest and easiest fix. T
I agree, but it is not helpful to send someone down a blind alley, and have them replace a 12 volt when not the cause.
Diagnoses is required, and may be more info. Any dash lights on when driving to the airport? ANy trouble with the electric locks when you returned? Would the car move despite showing 0%?
All of those answers would be far more helpful than the right away suggesting a discharged 12 volt.
He didn't mention it not unlocking with the key fob, and most would if that happened to them, He didn't mention that he had lights on the dash driving to the airport, but can't rule that out. Didn't mention if it would move, but did that it "turned on" and showed 0% charge. All that points away from a 12 volt battery being the culprit.
I have better than 50 years in repairing things for pay, One rule that carries across all things, is don't guess, test! Throwing parts at things is a very costly and very poor return on time invested way to sort out a problem.

Will have to wait for the OP to respond to clarify, otherwise too many questions from too many members might overwhelm or confuse them.

not sure how to post a pic.
car "started" normally. I tried to put it in reverese and it didn't leave park. looked ath the display and there was
"Warning
Battery Charge is low
Charge now
ok"

battery display showed --% with an empty battery symbol.

car "started" normally. I tried to put it in reverese and it didn't leave park. looked ath the display and there was
"Warning
Battery Charge is low
Charge now
ok"
What did you do at that point? Was it trucked to a dealer? to a charging station?
Is it resolved now, and what was the fix that worked?

"Warning
Battery Charge is low
Charge now
ok"

Did you see the little "green" car icon when you did this? What part of the world is your Leaf stuck in?

Did you see the little "green" car icon when you did this? What part of the world is your Leaf stuck in?
I do not see any green car icon in the picture. western NY.

this happened Saturday night. Will call the dealer monday morning.

Apart from the original posters issue - anyway replacing the 12 V is not in any case useful. I had it twice that the 12V was empty after I came back from vacation. on the second time I decided to have it checked before replacing it and the test came up with 90 % SoH. That was 2 years ago. I still have the same original 12 V battery which is now 5 years old. I am convinced that there is a (most probably software) bug in the Leaf that drains the 12 V under specific circumstances, and that not all the 12 V batteries that get replaced were in fact dead.

FYI: I have been driving Leafs for about 8 or 9 years now, as I used to import and trade them.

Because my typical journeys are short and I use a lot of 12v accessories, during the winter months I am in the habit of giving the 12v battery a monthly or bi-monthly overnight top-up charge.

Before such an extended airport car parking at an airport, I would have given the 12v battery an overnight charge to give it every chance of not crapping out when I got back.

I hope this plays out well and the problem turns out to have an easy fix (y)

I had a 12 VDC battery die, recently. it turned out that when I was putting in my sunshade, I accidentally pressed the emergency flasher. I know this because when I got a jump, the flashers were on when the car turned on.

Your 12 volt is dead. If you leave it plugged in to a EVSE dock it will after a few days discharge your 12 volt battery. Regardless just gets some voltage to your 12 volt battery and you shoudl be able to then plug in to a EVSE dock to get it charged back up.. Then go replace the 12 volt.

Apart from the original posters issue - anyway replacing the 12 V is not in any case useful. I had it twice that the 12V was empty after I came back from vacation. on the second time I decided to have it checked before replacing it and the test came up with 90 % SoH. That was 2 years ago. I still have the same original 12 V battery which is now 5 years old. I am convinced that there is a (most probably software) bug in the Leaf that drains the 12 V under specific circumstances, and that not all the 12 V batteries that get replaced were in fact dead.
its not a bug. the EVSE dock takes a pilot signal from the 12 volt battery in the leaf to tell the EVSE dock that car is there and ready for a charge. Anytime you leave your car plugged in to an EVSE Dock for more than a day it will slowly Drain the 12 volt battery as that never shuts off.. This is why we have so many threads here telling you to use a trickle charge on your 12 volt when you leave for a few days. and once your Traction pack is charged there is no reason to leave your LEAF plugged in to the EVSE dock. When you leave it for a few days Do not leave it plugged in to the Dock OR get your self a trickle charger and then keep your 12 volt happy.

Back