50 AMP breaker - too big?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 220 outlet in my garage with a 50 amp breaker in my electrical box. I want to either purchase a Clipper Creek LCS-25P or do the EVSE Upgrade on the original charger. Will the 50 amp breaker be too big? I read that Clipper Creek recommends nothing bigger than 25 amp breaker. Will the 50 amp breaker work with the EVSE upgrade?

Have you looked at the Clipper Creek HCS-40P? It requires a 50A breaker and will give you a faster charge if your LEAF supports it. Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday :)

pdaunno said:
Have you looked at the Clipper Creek HCS-40P? It requires a 50A breaker and will give you a faster charge if your LEAF supports it. Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday :)

I'll check it out. I was trying to use the 10-30 wall outlet and not have to call an electrician.

40milecommuter: The gauge of the wire protected by a 50a circuit breaker needs to be 6 AWG or thicker (assuming copper). I would check that out first.

photo.JPG

http://www.easypool.com/table/1photo.JPG
[img]http://www.easypool.com/table/2photo.JPG[/img]

Can't tell the gauge from the pictures, but what I do find somewhat bothersome is that it looks like someone spray painted something inside the electrical box. (The wires have something white flaking off, the inside of the box looks like it has paint on it).

Maybe nothing, but when you spray it is awfully difficult to make sure that the spray does not get into places where it should not be, like on the blades of the plug. And if there is heat is that spray flammable?

Just my $.02

I can't read anything on the insulation. Paint is from 93 when garage walls were painted.
These pics are from the breaker box.

5photo.jpg

4photo.JPG

Can't tell from the pictures what gauge it is but ....

1. Looks like you have 2 circuits on 50A breakers, all with the same gauge wire. Can you look at the other circuits remote end to see what gauge wire it has?

2. Is that a 30A breaker above the 50's? If so, is that wire 10ga. ? Just a little observation that might help you determine if the person who wired everything kept to requirements.

3. I would suggest giving some thought to what you need in the way of charge rate. Yes, you Leaf may support 6.6KW (if it has the optional charge package), but do you really need it? How fast do you need to charge? I drive 40 miles for my commute and have enough for whatever I typically need for errands (only charge to 80%). If I want to do something more it is almost always 1-2 hours after I get home and the extra charge takes care of me. For the rest I just leave it overnight. (BTW - Clipper Creek LCS-25 @ 4.8KW.) If you don't need the bigger charger why bother? If you do go with the smaller charger just change the breaker to match.

Again, just my $.02

40milecommuter said:
pdaunno said:

I'll check it out. I was trying to use the 10-30 wall outlet and not have to call an electrician.

The HCS-40P is available with NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 so your 10-30 will not work. I didn't have 220 in my garage so I had my electrician put a 14-50 with a 50A breaker to support the HCS-40P with 14-50. I don't know what's involved with switching your 10-30 to a 14-50.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not an electrician by any means), but I was always under the impression that the breaker's purpose was to protect the wiring and keep your house from catching fire when something draws more amperage than the wiring is rated for.

Putting a 30A charging station on a 50A circuit is no problem. It's no different than putting a 100W light bulb on a 15A circuit. No one would argue that putting a single 833mA device on a 15A circuit is a danger, and that a smaller breaker should be used.

So why do so many people say a smaller breaker should be used for a 30A device on a 50A circuit?

pdaunno said:
40milecommuter said:
pdaunno said:

The HCS-40P is available with NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 so your 10-30 will not work. I didn't have 220 in my garage so I had my electrician put a 14-50 with a 50A breaker to support the HCS-40P with 14-50. I don't know what's involved with switching your 10-30 to a 14-50.

1. The Clipper Creek HCS-40P comes with a 50A plug but is rated to have a 40A breaker, not 50A ( http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40-30a-240v-charging-25-cord-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
2. It is also rated to supply up to 30A. At 240v this would be 7.2KW but the Leaf is only rated for 6.6KW (optional charge package). Minor point, but @ 240v you would draw about 27a.
3. People often talk about 220v vs. 120v. In the US it is 240v. Since the charge rate is driven by current the voltage makes a difference. (BTW - if you have power from a commercial location they often have 208v due to it coming from 3 phase connection, but this is a whole different matter)

All of the 50 amp breakers in the picture and any others that have contacts on the outside need to be replaced. They have been outlawed, due to arcing and can destroy your electrical panel and start a fire.

The wire size looks good, all 3, 50 amp breakers have the same size wire.

kubel said:
So why do so many people say a smaller breaker should be used for a 30A device on a 50A circuit?
I am OK with the lower power device. I do believe a 30a connector fed by 50a breaker is not in compliance with NEC even when installed.

Otherwise I think the OP is just trying to follow the printed instructions.

Back