6 Month Battery Check

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2plugin

Just got my LEAF back after having the A/C unit replaced. While it was in the shop, my 6 month maintenance notice (edit: not battery inspection notice) came so they did a battery capacity check (free of charge). Happy to report after 4,700 miles driven on 100% charging, I'm still at 12 of 12 bars (already knew that from the battery status meter on the display) and scored 5 out of 5 stars for Charging, Driving and Storage. I guess they track the following "cause of gradual loss of capacity":

Frequent use of Quick Charging
Frequent charging when battery state of charge is already high
Too much electric consumption while driving
Long term parking with high state of charge

I was surprised that charging to 100% vs. 80% was not on the list. Maybe it's not as important as the other 4 factors listed.

Ready2plugin said:
Just got my LEAF back after having the A/C unit replaced. While it was in the shop, my 6 month battery inspection notice came so they did the battery capacity check.

6 months? I thought the first one was at 12 months? What was the cost of the check?

I've got my 7500 mile tire-rotation and cabin filter replacement due soon. I may have it done too, if it's really due.

Hmm... There IS no 6 month battery check... Is this a notice from the dealer or Nissan itself? It sounds suspect to me.

Ready2plugin said:
Just got my LEAF back after having the A/C unit replaced. While it was in the shop, my 6 month battery inspection notice came so they did the battery capacity check.

I have no intention of visiting the dealer prior to one year or 12,000 miles. Cabin filters typically last at least 1 to 2 years and I can get my tires rotated for free locally so why pay the dealer for it...

mwalsh said:
I've got my 7500 mile tire-rotation and cabin filter replacement due soon. I may have it done too, if it's really due.

mwalsh said:
Ready2plugin said:

6 months? I thought the first one was at 12 months? What was the cost of the check?

Sorry, you are correct, it was a 6 month maintenance notice, I asked if they were going to do a battery inspection and they said that that already had. There was no charge. They may have felt bad because it took 8 days for the repair.

mogur said:
I have no intention of visiting the dealer prior to one year or 12,000 miles. Cabin filters typically last at least 1 to 2 years and I can get my tires rotated for free locally so why pay the dealer for it...

I really don't want to either. I can do both by myself. Actually, I was going to bring this up in a new thread, but I may as well ask here...any concerns about the warranty if the maintenance schedule isn't followed to the letter (this is my first new car)?

Nope, by law they can't require that you have maintenance performed at a dealer. Plus, they'd have a devil of time voiding a warranty because you didn't rotate your tires or change the cabin air filter!!! :lol:

mwalsh said:
mogur said:

I really don't want to either. I can do both by myself. Actually, I was going to bring this up in a new thread, but I may as well ask here...any concerns about the warranty if the maintenance schedule isn't followed to the letter (this is my first new car)?

thanks for posting, it's nice to get a little feedback on 100% charging even for just 6 months. I wonder what they mean by "frequent charging when the battery charge is already high". I'm assuming they mean above 80%. If plugging in at 70% and charging to 80% is an issue, I'd find that annoying. the one thing about 80% charging i've come to like is that I feel more care free about charging, I don't have to think about it, I just do it pretty much whenever I can even if I only drive a short distance... that is based on an assumption that charging below 80% in any fraction has no negative impact on the battery.
g

Ready2plugin said:
I was surprised that charging to 100% vs. 80% was not on the list. Maybe it's not as important as the other 4 factors listed.

That's good to hear, congrats on the good health of your battery! I've been catching up with what has been said and written here and elsewhere on the topic, and there is strong indication that Nissan blocks the top and bottom 10% of battery capacity. This means that the maximum depth of discharge (DOD) the Leaf permits is around 80%. Nissan probably knows that most folks just want to plug in and fill 'er up. They don't want to think about battery charge and discharge cycles or ambient temperature.

It's well documented that shallow DOD cycles can significantly extend useful battery life. If you used the top and bottom two bars only when absolutely necessary, you would essentially be following a 50% DOD cycle. This is the sweet spot for longevity and should allow your battery live to for 10+ years and drive over 200K miles.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/08/04/leaf-depth-of-discharge/

GaslessInSeattle said:
thanks for posting, it's nice to get a little feedback on 100% charging even for just 6 months. I wonder what they mean by "frequent charging when the battery charge is already high". I'm assuming they mean above 80%.
The owner's manual suggests not charging unless you go below 80% first, for longevity, and I assume that's what they mean.

Just scheduled my 6mo service. It will be the first one for Weseloh. They did not know if they would do a battery check or not. BTW- How much was the service?

TRONZ said:
Just scheduled my 6mo service. It will be the first one for Weseloh. They did not know if they would do a battery check or not. BTW- How much was the service?

Mine was at the dealer for an A/C repair (replacement) so they did it for free. My tires were not ready for rotation yet, but they said it would be $20 when I needed it to be done.

Ready2plugin said:
My tires were not ready for rotation yet, but they said it would be $20 when I needed it to be done.
Do yourself a favor and go to Discount/America's Tire for the tire rotations. For a similar price they will rotate/balance your tires for the life of your tires every 5,000 miles.

Many of them will actually do a free tire rotation for you, regardless of where you got your tires...

drees said:
Ready2plugin said:
My tires were not ready for rotation yet, but they said it would be $20 when I needed it to be done.
Do yourself a favor and go to Discount/America's Tire for the tire rotations. For a similar price they will rotate/balance your tires for the life of your tires every 5,000 miles.

Ready2plugin said:
I guess they track the following "cause of gradual loss of capacity":

Frequent use of Quick Charging
Frequent charging when battery state of charge is already high
Too much electric consumption while driving
Long term parking with high state of charge

Did they say what the high state of charge is? 100% or 80%? And what constitutes long term? 3 days? 1 week? 1 month?

Sitting at the Nissan dealer. They technically call this a 6 Month Inspection (complementary). The tire rotation is $25 here at Weseloh so no big deal.

Back