62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave

Your adjustment is interesting, as I never saw a 99% SoH reading on this car. Now it was a month or so after I got the car before I purchased a new dongle, so maybe one had happened in that time. That would explain my early reading of about 98.6

DougWantsALeaf said:
Dave

Your adjustment is interesting, as I never saw a 99% SoH reading on this car. Now it was a month or so after I got the car before I purchased a new dongle, so maybe one had happened in that time. That would explain my early reading of about 98.6

Realize I got mine less than 2 weeks after it came off the factory floor. When the adjustment started, i figured I would settle in the 98's like most here but I am now at 97 and can't verify the adjustment is even complete. Soooo....99 aint all its cracked up to be apparently.

January 2020
3.3 mi/key
2122.33 miles

Lots of highway driving as usual, minimal city or backroad driving. 1 trip to CLE (220 miles each way) had to charge twice 45 mins each adding an hour and a half to each direction. This kept us from driving the LEAF up to CLE this weekend and we drove the hybrid instead.

DougWantsALeaf said:
2 charges each way? Even at 3.3 you shouldn’t have needed more than 1 1/2 hour charge to make the distance.

Agreed. 220 miles means your first charge should be aim at no less than 175 miles into the trip. The lower the SOC the better. This maximizes your time at the charger.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
2 charges each way? Even at 3.3 you shouldn’t have needed more than 1 1/2 hour charge to make the distance.

Agreed. 220 miles means your first charge should be aim at no less than 175 miles into the trip. The lower the SOC the better. This maximizes your time at the charger.

That particular trip was 2.9 mi/kwh on the way up, 2.6 mi/kwh on the way back. We probably could have gotten away with charging a little less at the second stop in Mansfield but we needed the charge to make sure we could eventually get home after driving around all weekend. Coming back we were disadvantaged to start at 70% as we only have L1 charging when we visit family.😞

Morning All,
2019 SV+ 200 miles ODO, Trip from Montpelier ,VT to Burlington VT. Round trip 74 miles. Outside -13 F for first leg. 2.7 miles per kWh from the car's meter. At start battery temp was blue only at the red dot before the change to white. I should have done LeafSpy readings but didn't get to it. I stayed off the interstate ran the heat low but comfortable with seat heat and steering. 50-55 mph mostly. Cooper Evolution studded snow tires @ 41 psi.
Start @ 97% end @ 46% upon returning home. Outside temps on the return high teens. 6 miles of interstate at the end of the trip @ 65mph. Car sat outside in the wind for 7 hours before returning.
In hind sight I believe I could have taken the interstate in both directions and made the trip with miles to spare. The real drag inducer was the studded snows. As speed increases so does the resistance from them and the noise.
I was impressed that I could make that trip without charging at my destination. My 2016 made that trip in similar at the same time of year but much warmer and Michelin X-Ice studless snow tires. I still needed to charge at the destination for a couple of hours.
The Leaf plus is finally a capable car mostly. I'm still convinced that , as I'm sure many of you are, the battery temp management is still needed.
Mine did warm up on the rip in to what ever the short segments on the car gauge mean. I had a bout 1/4 of the region gauge dots present in maybe 7 miles of driving.
I do plan to test this one out on some multi charge trips this summer.
For my needs this car well exceeds what I normally do so for now I am quite happy with it.
Why studded snows. I work very close to home but have to climb a very steep road early in the morning then get into my work driveway that has another steep hill, I am the plow person so am usually the first one there. I have always made it with my previous Leafs but some mornings were dicy. This car is a tank with the Coopers. If I had to make a log highway commute I would likely go back to studless.

Hope this is good info,

Greg

Have a great day!

Seems like there are a lot of Leafs in VT! I use Nokian studded at 41 PSI but must be very similar to yours. We have taken a few multi-charge field trips, including southern Vt- Montreal and back in cold weather, the car is better than the charging system at this point (for example the public charging Chademo in the downtown Burlington garage shut us off a well below 70% charge, luckily we got an email and ran over and re-upped and got enough juice to get to MOntreal no problem). If you travel, have a back-up plan when looking for QC.
I have brief non-scientific road test result in which I drove similar distances of about 25 miles with the cruise set at different speeds on the thruway (rt 91):

60 MPH 3.8 m/kwh
66 MPH 3.6 m/kwh
70 MPH 3.4 m/kwh

so yes I saw a drop-off but not the amount I was expecting- these are all at about ten degrees F with a bit of heat and with the studded tires.

dmacarthur said:
Seems like there are a lot of Leafs in VT! I use Nokian studded at 41 PSI but must be very similar to yours. We have taken a few multi-charge field trips, including southern Vt- Montreal and back in cold weather, the car is better than the charging system at this point (for example the public charging Chademo in the downtown Burlington garage shut us off a well below 70% charge, luckily we got an email and ran over and re-upped and got enough juice to get to MOntreal no problem). If you travel, have a back-up plan when looking for QC.
I have brief non-scientific road test result in which I drove similar distances of about 25 miles with the cruise set at different speeds on the thruway (rt 91):

60 MPH 3.8 m/kwh
66 MPH 3.6 m/kwh
70 MPH 3.4 m/kwh

so yes I saw a drop-off but not the amount I was expecting- these are all at about ten degrees F with a bit of heat and with the studded tires.

Based on a few road rips my 2018 SV seems to average around 3.3 ish at highway speeds, which would put it around 72 mph.
My area has some up and down but one would think that would even out on round trips. AC on.

So your 3.4 at 70 mph ("bit" of heat ) is pretty close to my 3.3 at 72 mph with AC.

2019 SL+ I get 3.5-3.6 mi/kWh in Florida running between our 2 homes at 57-62 Mph. After the 120 mile one way trip I arrive with 80-90 miles of range remaining on the GOM.

We traded in a 40 kWh 2018 SV for the 19SL+ W/60 kWh battery so I can continue to do this trip for several years, even with expected 5% annual battery degradation.

In 9 months since ownership we put 6,500 on odometer, and LeafSpy shows current SOH at 95.36. We lost 4% SOH (99.35-95.36) in 9 months. Based on battery degradation I expect that I’ll barely be able to make the 120 trip in 8 years. I may even qualify for a warranty replacement battery in 8 years. But then I’ll be 81 years old and who knows what I’ll be driving if I’m still here.

@ dmacarthur

Do you remember the outside air temps on the days you got those numbers? I think the -13 F was dropping my efficiency a lot. That and since my daily use is very short 5-6 miles. my battery wasn't really warmed up may be.
How was the Quick Charge rate in the cold?
Yes there are a lot of Leafs in Vermont. now. I see several very day and when I got my 2016 I think there was one other in this area. I got funny looks on the interstate in the winter I remember.

Greg

The temp outside was around ten F, so yes way warmer than your experience..... the bottom line is that the heaters use a noticeable amount of energy as we expected..... BUT, our batteries will never be too hot when charging!

In northern VA, 2019 SL Plus, bought Oct 2019.

Jan. 3.8 m/kWh. 566 mi
Dec. 3.5. 145 mi
Nov. 3.7. 499 mi
Oct. 4.2. 71 mi

The Nissanconnect app is missing a lot of data. Anyone else have this experience?

Back