80% charge recommendation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evguy5

I would like to get some more information the 80% charge recommendation. How often are you supposed to only charge to 80%?

Nissan states: Avoid sustained high battery state of charge (caused, for example, by frequently charging to 100% state of charge and/or leaving the battery above 80% state of charge for long periods of time).

I apologize if this has already been answered. If it has, please direct me to the link.

Thanks

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stoaty gave you the very long and technical answer. My simple recommendation would be to charge to 80% most of the time unless you anticipate that you may need the extra capacity the next day. Charge to 100% at least once a month to allow the battery cells to balance. Don't let the battery sit at 100% for more than a few hours, and especially not through a hot Texas day.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Stoaty gave you the very long and technical answer. My simple recommendation would be to charge to 80% most of the time unless you anticipate that you may need the extra capacity the next day. Charge to 100% at least once a month to allow the battery cells to balance. Don't let the battery sit at 100% for more than a few hours, and especially not through a hot Texas day.

Ray

Ray,

Thank you for the information. Do you or anyone happen to know if there is anything in the Nissan lease agreement that says you have to charge to 80% only or stand by their recommendations etc? I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get hit with some charge or something when I go turn the car back in?

Thanks for all of the advice.

^^^
I don't recall anything on that, but if there is something, I'd like to know.

As I'm leasing for 2 years, I don't care. I charge up to 100% at my work (for free :D) and it doesn't matter to me if it ends up sitting for 8 hours at that state. I'm more concerned about sharing the work EVSEs and etiquette than "100%" SoC. There are more PHEVs + EVs than there are J1772 handles at my work.

Nearly all the early leases were for three years, so very few people, if any, have done a normal end-of-lease turn in. I'm almost certain that you would not be docked for charging to 100%, unless you were doing it when the car was already nearly fully charged (98%-100%). Charging to 100% from nearly full will cost you a star on the annual battery report, and I would expect them to look at that. It's also spelled out in the warranty. As for other "recommendations", I think the key would be to not violate warranty requirements and to follow the service guide.

Ray

Back