80% charging issue - 12:00 am charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevermind about 80% charge, I get the same issue with 100% charge. I scheduled a dealer visit for next week, hopefully will get this resolved.

I realized that this might be "by design", but I still want confirmation that it's normal that it does this. Basically regardless if your car already charged to 80% or 100% the car charging will attempt to again when your car is plugged in and it hits the timer's start time. The difference between 80% and 100% is with 80% it will attempt to charge for 20 seconds and reset BLINK's previous reading.

To avoid charge attempts when the car is fully charged and duplicate notifications I changed the "start timer" to the times when I am not plugged in during a day.

IBELEAF said:
I've had this issue for sometime now and I am not sure what to make out of it. I have a timer1 set to charge 80% from 12:00 am to 12:00 am. So my car gets charged to 80% usually by 10 pm and then at midnight charging starts again for 20 seconds and then stops.
I have set my Timer1 to start at 12:10AM and end at 5:00AM, because that is when my super-off-peak period is. It is always plenty of time to charge to 80%. I plug it in when I put the car away at night, usually around 6:00-8:00PM. I get only one email notification, usually sent between 2:00AM and 4:00AM, depending on how much charge the car had when I put it away the night before. The Blink unit always retains the info from the previous night's charge on the screen so I can review it the next morning (unless it reboots during the interim for some unknown reason). Why are you using the 12:00AM-12:00AM start/end times? Do you always want it to begin charging as soon as you plug it in for some reason?

TT

ttweed said:
IBELEAF said:
I've had this issue for sometime now and I am not sure what to make out of it. I have a timer1 set to charge 80% from 12:00 am to 12:00 am. So my car gets charged to 80% usually by 10 pm and then at midnight charging starts again for 20 seconds and then stops.
I have set my Timer1 to start at 12:10AM and end at 5:00AM, because that is when my super-off-peak period is. It is always plenty of time to charge to 80%. I get only one email notification, usually sent between 2:00AM and 4:00AM, depending on how much charge the car had when I put it away the night before. The Blink unit always retains the info from the previous night's charge on the screen so I can review it the next morning (unless it reboots during the interim for some unknown reason). Why are you using the 12:00AM-12:00AM start/end times? Do you always want it to begin charging as soon as you plug it in for some reason?

TT

I'm doing the exact same thing as TTweed; and it works just fine for me, with the same results.

IBELEAF said:
I realized that this might be "by design", but I still want confirmation that it's normal that it does this. Basically regardless if your car already charged to 80% or 100% the car charging will attempt to again when your car is plugged in and it hits the timer's start time. The difference between 80% and 100% is with 80% it will attempt to charge for 20 seconds and reset BLINK's previous reading.
To avoid charge attempts when the car is fully charged and duplicate notifications I changed the "start timer" to the times when I am not plugged in during a day.

Mine used to do that, but it was an hour or so after the 80% charging was finished, not when it reached the next charging time (6AM-6AM). Since they put in the new chip (SD card), it hasn't done it so far. But I still have the '502' System Error which Blink is working on a fix.

derkraut said:
I'm doing the exact same thing as TTweed; and it works just fine for me, with the same results.
+1 - also doing the exact same thing as well with the exact same results as derkraut and ttweed - same start/end times even.

Which brings me to a tangent - I remember reading that the Chevy Volt will randomize the start time when on a timer so that when people want to charge within a certain window, not all cars will start at the same time and increase the load on the grid.

With EV penetration so low at this point, it's not an issue, but certainly if everyone's EV started charging at exactly 12:10am (just heard my Blink thunk on while typing this) that could be an issue...

It seems that if you have a 5 hour recharge window - but the car estimates that it will only take 2 hours to charge, ideally it'd randomly delay the charge up to 3 hours to avoid any sudden spikes on the grid.

drees said:
Which brings me to a tangent - I remember reading that the Chevy Volt will randomize the start time when on a timer so that when people want to charge within a certain window, not all cars will start at the same time and increase the load on the grid.
Actually ... it's "Departure Time" programming in the Volt, and rather than really being "random", it is essentially the same as programming only an "End Time" in the LEAF. The Volt's (and thus the LEAF's) "Start Time" is pseudo-random in that it is calculated based on your SOC, i.e. how many miles you've used up when you return home, and your charge station level (L1 or L2). So this "Start Time" varies pseudo-randomly for different people/driving patterns, plus the personalized time setting one actually uses for "End" or "Departure".

Where I live we have the same rate 24x7 (0.08 kWh), so for me it doesn't make sense to use timers, I simply want to charge the car to 80% as soon as I plug it in. Nissan designed 80% charge only available via use of timers hence I had to set it that way so the charge is available anytime of the day. You can reproduce this even for your case, by leaving your car plugged in for 2 days and you'll get duplicate notification even though the car was charged the first time.

i dont have TOU either but with my 240 volt mod i can put back what i use most days in just a few hours. i dont like to plug in during peak time either which around here extends to at least 8 pm during summer so i hold off. i generally plug in around 8, unplug before going to bed and i am good.

other times, wait til morning on my days off and plug in from like 5 am to 7 am. i am pretty much trying to time it to about 90% charging and am doing a fairly close job of that. i gauge my accuracy by how many regen bubbles i have. most days i may have 1 or 2 that are not immediately available.

just checked my efficiency and now at 84.9 % and i feel that is attributable to not going to 100% since i lose efficiency on the trickle down at the end of the charging cycle.

another benefit of 80% charging i guess. too bad the level is not adjustable

Back