80% or 100% - any diff?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbil

I have owned my 13 Leaf now for a week. I am working thru my daily driving needs vs. need to charge stuff. In one of my other threads DaveinOlyWA stated that:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Razorbil;

so its like how often do you vary your schedule?
what is the longest regular trip you make?
what is the distance of longer regular trips you make?

if any of the latter 2 questions fall into the 40-60 mile range then I would LEAF it at 100%.

some people will tell you 80% but I highly doubt that charging to 100% then buzzing off at least half is worse than charging to 80% and buzzing off 75%.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I am finding that in my mountainous area, I routinely run down to the 10-20 mile reserve range before making it home (while starting at 100% charge). Is it harmful to the battery to continually charge to 100% instead of 80% if I am running the majority of that charge out daily?

I don't think so, as long as you are charging to the 100% within a couple hours of your departure time using a timer.
But I don't think there is much clear definitive data yet comparing battery degradation between those that 100% charge and those that have never 100% charged.
But for the LEAF to do what you need it to do, you don't have much choice but to charge to 100%.
Better to get home with 10 to 20 on the DTE, than to be limping home with very low battery warning, and the potential to not make it home.
I mostly charge to 80%. But with the impacts of cold weather, and with my LEAF battery probably having around 11% degradation now, I have started charging to 100% with a timer. And my round trip is only 36 miles. I just don't like getting back home with <15 on the DTE or with low battery warning. Putting the battery down into the last 20% of capacity isn't good for the battery either.

I charge my car to 100% (within an hour of leaving) and run it down past the LBW (sometimes to VLBW) almost every day.
I just had my 1-year battery checkup done, and no degradation was reported. We'll see how it holds up after another year.

On a different thread I asked if it was better to charge to 100% and use down to 20% or charge to 80% and use down to low battery warning and the answer was 80% to LB was better than 100% to 20% even though that's close to the same cycle numbers. I don't recall the exact reasoning off the top of my head.

Back