86 miles home from the dealer, charge/range to spare

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redjr

So I picked up my second lease last night in Milwaukee, it was a long day, but a fun ride home.

I had to pickup a car that had broken down in a Milwaukee hotel parking lot park and fly last Friday night so I incorporated that retrieval, along with my Leaf Lease pickup all in one trip. I figured I could draft my truck, towing a car trailer, hauling the car on the way home. So we went over by the airport to pick up the car, and along the way, I called my salesperson for a second time to let them know I was on schedule for a 7:30 appointment. We arrived at Boucher Nissan on time towing this.

2013043095185133.jpg

Even after being reminded several times that we were on our way, and calling after getting done loading the car and letting them know that I was on schedule, they still managed to detain us an hour and a half, while they got the paperwork ready. They did end of giving their tailgate promotion package as an apology, and a great deal on the lease, (below) we finally hit the road about 9pm.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11245&p=288083#p288083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I told my buddy driving my truck to set the cruise at 60, and I'd keep an eye on the energy screen to see how I was doing on range. Turns out, we could have gone faster and still made it because of drafting in addition to a 20 MPH tailwind. All but about 6 miles were the interstate, Highway 41 to Oshkosh.

download2fc.jpg

I averaged 5.4 miles/kWh, but was holding about 5.1 while drafting at that speed.

download1wkt.jpg

I ended up with 22% remaining, 28 miles on the GOM, 3, trees, and 85.6 miles. (I traveled a few blocks before remembering to reset anything.

2013043095225323.jpg

2013043095225307.jpg

Of course, drafting, a tail wind, 6 battery bars and having 5000 miles of experience on a different leaf all contributed to getting the range that I got. I had a back up plan, to bail off at my S/O's home 20 miles short of my home but called her 30 miles into the trip to let her know that I was sure that I would make it the distance.

Thanks guys.

It sure was fun to do.

After I get a little more familiar with the 2013, I'll start a thread on the differences between the 2012 and the 2013. Right off the bat, the 2013 is certainly more range efficient. Maybe something like this has been talked about here already, I will make sure that I search for the thread, if there is one?

Here are the cousins, Linden (2012) and Laurel (2013).

twinsxm.jpg

Redjr said:
Thanks guys.

It sure was fun to do.

After I get a little more familiar with the 2013, I'll start a thread on the differences between the 2012 and the 2013. Right off the bat, the 2013 is certainly more range efficient. Maybe something like this has been talked about here already, I will make sure that I search for the thread, if there is one?

Here are the cousins, Linden (2012) and Laurel (2013).

twinsxm.jpg

Two Leaves of the same color? Don't you get confused?

johnqh said:
The one on the left is clearly the 2013 (no side marker lights) - not to mention the plate number is higher. BTW - everyone knows that silver is the best color for the LEAF! ;)

TonyWilliams said:
Redjr said:
... differences between the 2012 and the 2013. Right off the bat, the 2013 is certainly more range efficient. Maybe something like this has been talked about here already, I will make sure that I search for the thread, if there is one?

Here's a link to my comparisons of the 2013 and 2012 LEAF.

Thanks Tony.

So far, my experience doesn't agree with your results. When I get more data with the 2013, I will report back on that thread.

johnqh said:

When you live in my neck of the woods, if you're lucky enough to get a dealer to give a reasonable deal, you can't be picky with color. This dealer had only two, both silver, and I wasn't ready to spend more with a different dealer, for a different color.

Great excuse for adding some fancy decals of <favourite sports team/hobby/other> to it, I guess. :)

Redjr said:
TonyWilliams said:
Redjr said:
... differences between the 2012 and the 2013. Right off the bat, the 2013 is certainly more range efficient. Maybe something like this has been talked about here already, I will make sure that I search for the thread, if there is one?

Here's a link to my comparisons of the 2013 and 2012 LEAF.

Thanks Tony.

So far, my experience doesn't agree with your results. When I get more data with the 2013, I will report back on that thread.

I'm looking forward to your side-by-side test like we did !!!! It makes it a lot easier to perform when you own both cars.

Before you start, I recommend using a Gidmeter or an Android device with OBD2 bluetooth to get a baseline of degradation on both cars.

Back