A big issue for me: The seats are too low

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joinarnold

When I did my test drive, I liked everything about the car except the fact that I was sitting so low in the seat. I don't believe one can raise the leaf's seat.

What are my options?
:shock:

Specs show there is a manual height adjustment lever, probably a lot like my Prius. Anyone take a test drive and know for sure?

Passenger seat "4-way" adjust only, but Driver's seat is "6-way", including a large round knob on the left side of the seat for "adjusting" the seat height up and down a bit.

I adjusted it up a little and then down all the way, and did see the seat move ... but not a lot, so I do not know how far "up" it goes.

Also, the up/down is not strictly an up/down movement, but tilts the seat somewhat as well.

We did a test drive. My wife cranked the seat up as far as it would go, but it was not enough for her (5'2), but also not as much as I would have liked (5"8"). I am planning to add a permanent sytle seat cushion to install under my wet suit style seat covers. It would be nice if Nissan would address this; or maybe they prefer taller drivers to use up all that great headroom that is available. I still look forward to receiving the car I ordered on 11/24.

joinarnold said:
At least there is some adjustment to the seat. I didn't to have to buy a replacement seat. :mrgreen:

No, but a seat cushion may be in order. I agree with Gary. The up/down adjustment is fairly small.

I did the 'test drive' in San Francisco. While waiting, I tried the adjuster on the driver's seat and was surprised and wondered if it was broken? I noticed VERY little difference when turning the the knob. This is far from a deal breaker, not even close, but disappointing.

Hmm. Where does one buy a solution to this?
A cushion under a seat cover. Does anyone have a link where to buy these?

-------------------
Join my "Future Nissan Leaf Owner" Group at Linkedin.com
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3093440&trk=myg_ugrp_ovr

I noticed on my first test drive the seat was kinda low (not much thigh support). I did not notice this on my second drive which likely was because it happened to already be adjusted more for my size.

My wife has the same problem. She is 5 feet tall. During our test drive we raised the seat as far as it would go but the seat was too low for her. The adjustment knob does not raise the seat very much. Maybe they will correct this on production cars. My wife will need a cushion. Does any one have a recomendation on where to buy a good one.

On the other hand we were at the L A auto show this weekend and sat in the Mitsubishi I-Miev. She sat very well in that EV and could see over the dash and hood very well. The I- miev height adjustment worked perfectly.

My 5'2" wife mentioned that the seat was still a little low after adjusting it all the way up. But it was OK. If I got her a heated cushion she'd be happy like clam.

My 5' 0" wife said she was OK (but had trouble seeing the cones).
However, she is "taller" above the waist, with "shorter" legs.

Her proportions seem to match thise of her father, and those of a typical southern French farmer picture we saw in a "textbook".

I am 6' 2" and had about 1" headroom with the seat moved back and all the way down. However, I had about MINUS 1" headroom in the back seat.

I concluded that there was something like 2" LESS headroom in the rear seats (side position, did not try the center).

joinarnold said:
When I did my test drive, I liked everything about the car except the fact that I was sitting so low in the seat. I don't believe one can raise the leaf's seat.

What are my options?
:shock:

Definately agree with Arnold! Although I love the LEAF I did not like that I was sitting so low and deep. It also made the LEAF front look so big and almost to the point where it effected the view.

There are three options for raising the sitting position:

1. Use the large seat-height adjustment knob on the left side of the driver's seat. Did you try that?

2. Have the dealer re-install the driver's seat rails with about an extra inch of "spacer(s)" to move the whole seat up an inch (or as needed). Should be relatively essy to do.

3. Add a pad that achieves the elevation that you need.

Thanks Gary!
I will ask my LEAF dealer about rising the tracks on my driver seat! If not I will just get the yellow book to sit on! :lol:
Thanks for your suggestions!
John

Back