A bizzarro 30,000-mile battery check at Norh Bay Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchthing

Sent wife with the car to get the battery check and brake update. First, they had no idea about what brake update. Gave them the number on the phone. Found it. Good. It's a go.

Wife calls: they'll give me a Hertz loaner.
Whoa! Nice going, Nissan. Taking care of the customer.

It's gonna be 150 bucks for the check...
What!!!? For what....!

I dunnu.

Okay. Called the guy...rotate tires, cabin filter, wipers, check brakes, port...

Noooo. None of the above. Put on brand new Michelins 5 days ago. Just the MANDATORY (FREE) STUFF, PLEASE... You know the brake update and battery check. That's it.

Fine.

Loaner is out, of course. Wife sat there, reading mags, for hour and a half. Brings the car home. Break update, check. Battery...? No battery paperwork? WTF? No more? Something's not right. Last time there was a printout.

Called up the same guy: What happened to the battery check? The most important part, right? Nissan wants to MAKE SURE Leaf is in perfect condition, right? That nothing's amiss in the wonderful electric car, right?

YOU DECLINED THE SERVICE.

I did what???

DECLINED.

Is this for real, sir? Are you like being funny? This is pretty much the ONLY reason we brought the car in, 40 miles back and forth, and I...declined? So now we have to bring the car BACK?

Yep. We had to bring the car back for the battery check. Half hour drive, half hour wait.
Good going, North Bay Nissan. No kudos to you this time. Nope. None whatsoever.

Battery of course was 100%. Whatever. I knew THAT. The whole thing being pretty much quite pointless. I know my range, know what I do to the car.

So, be prepared to get (or not to get) suckered in. It's just another car, folks. Nothing special.

Anyone know what mileage is the next MANDATORY check up for the Leaf? It's buried in my paperwork. I briefly looked through one of the booklets, and can't really tell mandatory from recommended. Oh, so annoying...

Mines going in for it's yearlyish checkup.. Really it's going in for the snow tires and then any updates available. It's good to know what can or might happen... thanks.

ILETRIC said:
Sent wife with the car to get the battery check and brake update.
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Why did you waste your last free battery check?? You get two checks free. They are required annually, regardless of mileage. Now you are going to have to pay for the next one, some time between April and August, or lose what little warranty coverage there is on the battery.

ILETRIC said:
Anyone know what mileage is the next MANDATORY check up for the Leaf? It's buried in my paperwork. I briefly looked through one of the booklets, and can't really tell mandatory from recommended.
Come on, if you are looking at the Service and Maintenance Guide it's not that hard to tell:
Items marked with “*” are recommended by Nissan for reliable electric vehicle operation. You are not required to perform maintenance on these items in order to maintain the warranties which come with your Nissan. Other maintenance items and intervals are required.
The catch is that the only *'s I see are for "Check the Charging port" and "Clean the Charging Port Sealing Cap". :?

Ray

P.S. If you have 30K miles in 18 months, the answer to the frequency question is once a year for the battery check, every 15K miles for other things, assuming you also rotate tires every 7.5K miles.

Hmmm. Will be taking mine in to North Bay next week for its first battery check. That's all that is supposed to be done. They also wouldn't let me bring it in on Saturday because "the one qualified technician and the computer will not be here."

WTF? He takes the computer home with him? No one else knows how to run a 1/2 hour battery check?

I had a similar situation at Diritto Bro's in Concord. I scheduled online and said "battery check and brake update #xxxxxx" in the online request form. WIfe took it in and texted me when she got there that it'll be $200. I called, spoke to service guy and said, "no, none of that stuff - just the battery check and brake update."

Wife came home with car, no battery check sheet and no brake update. I called, told them I wanted them to do the brake update (and gave them the number) and I never got the battery check paperwork. They emailed me the battery paperwork and I had to go back again for another 1.5 hrs for the brake update.

Moral of the story, I'll go next time. Not my wife's fault, but the person dropping off needs to know EXACTLY what to ask for.

EVDRIVER said:
When was the brake update released?

A few months ago I believe. But it's NOT an update, its a technical bulletin. This means they won't apply it unless you tell them that the brakes are grabby under 15mph. An update implies everyone gets it, a technical bulletin implies a fix in place if a customer is having the problem. Hence, you have to ask. Also helps to provide them the specific TB number because most dealers / service persons don't know of it.

EricBayArea said:
EVDRIVER said:

A few months ago I believe. But it's NOT an update, its a technical bulletin. This means they won't apply it unless you tell them that the brakes are grabby under 15mph. An update implies everyone gets it, a technical bulletin implies a fix in place if a customer is having the problem. Hence, you have to ask. Also helps to provide them the specific TB number because most dealers / service persons don't know of it.
can you share the TB number for the braky thing/ please.

thankyouOB said:
EricBayArea said:
EVDRIVER said:

can you share the TB number for the braky thing/ please.
The Technical Bulletin was dated Oct 2, 2012 and applies to 2011 Leafs built after VIN JN1AZ0CP(*)CT 023495; I believe it was first issued on 06-June 2012
The TB Reference number is: NTB12-086; the part number is: 46007-3NA1A

EricBayArea said:
I had a similar situation at Diritto Bro's in Concord. I scheduled online and said "battery check and brake update #xxxxxx" in the online request form. WIfe took it in and texted me when she got there that it'll be $200. I called, spoke to service guy and said, "no, none of that stuff - just the battery check and brake update."

Wife came home with car, no battery check sheet and no brake update. I called, told them I wanted them to do the brake update (and gave them the number) and I never got the battery check paperwork. They emailed me the battery paperwork and I had to go back again for another 1.5 hrs for the brake update.

Moral of the story, I'll go next time. Not my wife's fault, but the person dropping off needs to know EXACTLY what to ask for.

Recently had my battery check here. As it's within walking distance from work, it sure beat dropping my car off at 0530 at my local dealership in Vallejo! I actually went over at lunchtime to check the place out and inquire about an appointment. They said "now is fine", so I walked back to work. Before 3pm they called and not only was the battery check done, but two pending recalls, as well as the brake reprogramming which I'd requested, and a general vehicle inspection.

Everything was polite and hassle-free. They did suggest the Nissan-recommended bits as you'd expect: the brake flush and cabin filter, but there was no pressure when I declined so the invoice was $0. And they still washed the car! Not only that, but a few days later it rained and I discovered they'd treated the windshield with Rain-X!!

pic

-Phil

Ingineer: Is there a site you can identify where we Leaf owners can view all such Leaf Technical Bulletins for ourselves?

MikeD said:
Ingineer: Is there a site you can identify where we Leaf owners can view all such Leaf Technical Bulletins for ourselves?
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/leaf/18915-nissan-leaf-technical-information-manuals-bulletins-recalls-campaigns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has them. I haven't downloaded anything recently from them, but they used to have a 2 download/day limit for non-paying members.

I'd gone there for TSBs on other Nissans (that I used to have) and my mom's Altima Hybrid.

edit: Just for kicks, I just successfully downloaded a Leaf TSB .pdf from them.

Ingineer said:
Well, it's a typo. I have a newer PDF that has this text.
BR12-003a NTB12-086a October 25,2012
2011-2012 LEAF; BRAKE PEDAL SENSITIVE AT SPEEDS BELOW 15 MPH

This bulletin has been amended. The Title, Applied Vehicles, Applied VIN and Date, and If You Confirm sections have been revised. Please discard all previous versions.

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2011-2012 LEAF (ZE0)
APPLIED VIN AND DATE : Built before JN1AZ0CP(*)CT 023494 // June 6, 2012
Download the PDF by clicking on the 3.5" disk icon at http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=740" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, once you're logged in.

Back