A craptastic NPR story on electric cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeolus

What happens when NPR goes to their Detroit-based reporter on the auto industry for a story about electric cars?

A typical mediocre story that rounds up a few of the usual suspects, cites Consumer Reports, dwells on the dreaded range anxiety, and fails to interview anyone who actually uses a LEAF on a regular basis.

First of three parts. Will it get worse, better, or continue on its mediorcre, craptastic trajectory.

I'm guessing it doesn't get any better.

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/21/142464818/can-electric-cars-help-automakers-reach-55-mpg

It's not that the media is liberal or conservative. They're just lazy and derivative.

+1. Some recent NPR stories on EVs have been fair, but this one is a hatchet job.
While I don't disagree with everything the reporter says, the overall spin is really quite hostile. For example:
What Brockman doesn't say is you're only going get reach the 100-mile range on cool spring days doing about 40 mph, with the air conditioning off and the car going downhill.
( emphasis added).

Once people actually find out about the cars, they like them even less.
Not that much has changed with electric cars in more than a hundred years.

It's a news story. Unless they commit documentable libel or slander there is very little to sue over (Suzuki tried that years ago with the Samurai and lost)... Nor, frankly, would I want people to be able to do so that easily... We are already a far too litigious society... (Think of that "OK" screen every time you boot up your Leaf...)

Caracalover said:
Very sad to hear, hope they get sued.

that's just one reason why -- their longtime chevron and other oil industry sponsorships are another -- savvy liberals have called it National Petroleum Radio for many years.
https://www.google.com/search?q=national+petroleum+radio&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Generally, I like them, but I just heard this story this morning, and I thought it was really bad reporting.

Since they rely on our donations also, we should voice our displeasure loudly.

tbleakne said:
+1. Some recent NPR stories on EVs have been fair, but this one is a hatchet job.

I would suggest that everyone who is unhappy with this report, do the following.

1) Call your local NPR station and invite them to drive your EV and do a report on it. This is your chance to tell YOUR side of the story.

I did this a couple of years back with my homemade EV. The reporter was very impressed and did an honest job of reporting the good and the not so good of what it is like to drive an EV.

KJD
http://www.evalbum.com/3175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I urge everyone to send a mail to NPR to point out how bad it was.
- They didn't mention that fact that 60% of Americans have multiple cars and most of them can replace one of the ICE with EV. Use EV for local travel and ICE for long distance.
- They only talked to people who don't own a Leaf
- They said Volt has sold 10K(?) and Leaf only 8K, without mentioning the production limit and waiting lines
- They never mentioned any of the positives of EVs or negatives of ICE

I too was pretty appalled when I heard this today. I respect a lot of what I hear on NPR, but this report started out to prove how awful EVs are, and cherry picked the supporting quotes. (It does make you wonder about the stories you hear on subjects that you're not familiar with...)

I will definitely send in a letter.

Bill

While many of the points made are not totally incorrect, it seems to me the story is unnecessarily negative, sort of as if the author has a hidden agenda.

I agree with a number of the posters - I also like and respect NPR when they broadcast stories that support my points of view, and dislike NPR when they broadcast stories that are counter to my points of view. Guess I ought to start my own media outlet if I only want to hear things that I agree with all the time. :|

Yodrak said:
I agree with a number of the posters - I also like and respect NPR when they broadcast stories that support my points of view, and dislike NPR when they broadcast stories that are counter to my points of view. Guess I ought to start my own media outlet if I only want to hear things that I agree with all the time. :|

What is your point?
You think it is a good idea and good journalism to do a Leaf story without talking to someone who owns and drives one?

snide is also a device we should applaud? as in blah blah blah 100 miles "going downhill"?

Just listened to the interview with Carlos Ghosn on All Things Considered. He was able to give a much more positive (and, I'd say, balanced) point of view than the unfortunate slam job that happened this morning. I plan to give feedback and offer to be interviewed, and suggest that we all do so.

smkettner said:
The media is more about ratings and advertising money as opposed to actually vetting out the whole truth.
I feel the same about media in general, but have learned to expect more from NPR. That's why I'm going to give them some feedback on this (I wouldn't bother with a standard media outlet as it's like pushing a rope).

Hopefully thing go better when they inverview Ghosn on NPR today:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back