a glut of Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badamsfx

I swung by Team Nissan of Ventura, CA, a week ago and there were four Leafs in the parking lot for sale in addition to their demo car. Checked again tonight to make sure they hadn't been waiting to be picked up and they're still there. I'm surprised we've already reached the point of overflow when the Leaf isn't even available in all states yet. Now that us early adopters have ours I guess it's time for the Leaf to start standing on it's own. When I get a chance to talk to my salesman I'll report any information he has about this situation.

coqui said:
Here in NC we can't seem to get enough of 'em :cool:
I don't believe any dealers here in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area have any extra leafs. In fact, I drove by my dealer just a few days ago and all they had was a demo model. I wouldn't say we've reached the point of "overflowing" yet.. not for a long time.

Down here in South Florida, the demand has, pretty much, dried up.

Dealers can't receive new cars unless they've been ordered, and there are only a handful of orders still pending across the entire Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach metropolitan area.

My orphan has been sitting on the dealer's lot for over a month. There's at least one other orphan, which has been available for a couple of weeks.

I think the biggest mistake South Florida dealers have made is to charge $600 to $1,000 above MSRP for the cars. There's simply no incentive to buy locally, especially since the State of Florida offers no incentives for the purchase of electric vehicles.

Fortunately, I like my LEAF and plan to keep it for a very long time.

We have a few dealers here that have some "stock" of orphans, but this is because they go around and buy up the cars the other dealers aren't interested in. This doesn't seem to be hurting their game and it's one reason you can get one shipped to you.

By the way, shouldn't we call it a "bouquet of LEAFs", or maybe a "pile of LEAFs" (though the latter doesn't sound as nice)?

We've charged at several Norcal Nissan dealers and there have been several Leafs for sale, a rarity just last year. Most of the orphans have a $5000 dealer markup, which prompted us to order and wait. I'm pretty sure the dealer markups are going to go away soon. We also looked at the Volt before ordering our Leaf and the dealership had an $8000 markup.

Yesterday I filled up the wife's Prius and gasoline was 2.85 per gallon. When gas prices are so low I think it will be hard to keep peoples interest in buying an EV.

I have only had my Leaf about a month and it is the best car I have ever owned, but most people are not willing to take the long view of things.

Gas prices normally rise after the first of the year and I think demand for Leafs will increase when the price of gasoline starts going up again.

The distribution system is not very efficient so it's not surprising that some areas have some sitting on the lot and others have a waiting list. At this point Nissan is still supply constrained and demand is still not an issue.

The problem is more going forward. I don't think the dealers are on board with the program. A few will be but my guess from talking with a couple is that 80% of Nissan dealers aren't interested in the Leaf and think it's a loser. This is definitely going to be a demand-pull product rollout.

KJD said:
Yesterday I filled up the wife's Prius and gasoline was 2.85 per gallon. When gas prices are so low I think it will be hard to keep peoples interest in buying an EV.

I have only had my Leaf about a month and it is the best car I have ever owned, but most people are not willing to take the long view of things.

Gas prices normally rise after the first of the year and I think demand for Leafs will increase when the price of gasoline starts going up again.

I find it (horrifyingly) entertaining how short sighted people are. Gas prices go up to $4. "OMG THE WOLRD IS COMING TO AN END!" Gas prices go to $2.8. "See? I told you gas prices would go down! They'll never be $4 again."

Wouldn't supprise me in the least if this is the last time we ever see gas below $3.

SanDust said:
The problem is more going forward. I don't think the dealers are on board with the program. A few will be but my guess from talking with a couple is that 80% of Nissan dealers aren't interested in the Leaf and think it's a loser. This is definitely going to be a demand-pull product rollout.

The Leaf is a car that only an informed person will buy, the amount of pushing a dealer does will have little effect with such a car. I dont think its time to start assigning blame yet.

"Glut" is hardly the term to use. There are obviously some places in CA where they haven't been able to see orphans fast - but not so in rest of the country (or world).

I expect Nissan to keep selling some 1,000 per month till TN plant comes online end of this year.

Total # of cars available on cars.com

Volt :4,538
Leaf : 638

evnow said:
"Glut" is hardly the term to use. There are obviously some places in CA where they haven't been able to see orphans fast - but not so in rest of the country (or world).

I expect Nissan to keep selling some 1,000 per month till TN plant comes online end of this year.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nissan-north-america-sales-increase-77-for-record-december-136668408.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says Nissan sold 954 last month.

If they are already sitting on CA lots only a year later, I would be a bit concerned if I were Nissan. CA sells the most cars of any state and its climate (at least southern CA) is very favorable to EV's.

Midwestern and northern states will be a tough sell, even with the cold weather package. With reports of 50 mile range when using climate control, I would expect even more Leafs to collect on dealer lots once enthusiasts get theirs.

As I have mentioned before, this is going to be a tough sell outside of EV enthusiasts. I'm afraid the Leaf is going to be an obscure vehicle for quite some time.

The only glut I have seen is at LAX airport parking lots 1 and 6. With 2 charging units and about 200 cars over the Holiday week, LAX airport needs more power! :D

I predict that sales in the Seattle area will rebound and surpass anything so far once the electric highway is in place. We are in the midst of a lull due to range shock, not just range anxiety, this too will pass! I personally believe that CHAdeMO DC chargers should have been the primary focus of the EV project beyond home chargers and should have gotten in the ground before the first wave of cold whether hit. Talk of L1 and L2 expansion has really not impressed the public, in fact they are sick of hearing about it, newspapers won't even cover new L2 installs. L3 is what is going to make this car very impressive and catch the press' eye again. As soon as the 60+ chargers are in place it's going to be a whole other story, mark my words... the magic of the Leaf is in being able to put 20 KW's in the battery in 35 minutes! DCQC's are going to make this technology shine to the general public!

I agree with evnow that there truly exists no glut of LEAFs at present. Overall dealer inventory levels remain quite low.

However, going forward, I think the LEAF's price is going to be the biggest obstacle to wider adoption. Buyers unfortunately tend to focus on sticker price more than TCO (total cost of ownership), where the LEAF is more competitive.

Also, there exists the perception that the LEAF is only good as a "second" or "third" car. I think people tend to not want to spend as much on "non-primary" cars. Yet, the actual reality is that, for many of us, the LEAF serves as our primary car. The less-efficient, longer-range gasoline car ends up being driven only when absolutely necessary.

Maybe Nissan needs to run a commercial showing all of the drivers in the family clamoring to drive the family's one LEAF rather than their gasoline cars, because that so often reflects reality.

abasile said:
Maybe Nissan needs to run a commercial showing all of the drivers in the family clamoring to drive the family's one LEAF rather than their gasoline cars, because that so often reflects reality.
Very true

Glut? When there are more LEAFs than Sentras sitting on the lot it will be a glut.
Well unless LEAF is selling better then it still might not be a glut ;)

Back