a glut of Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
Yesterday I filled up the wife's Prius and gasoline was 2.85 per gallon. When gas prices are so low I think it will be hard to keep peoples interest in buying an EV.
Think back a few years, when a statement like, "Wow, gas for under $3" would have gotten you strange looks. Or, if you can't imagine that, imagine a newspaper article sent to us from the future proclaiming, "SUV sales skyrocket as gas prices dip below $7" (Well, if not newspapers, however news is done in the future).

My own little fantasy is one where the Tennessee LEAF plant comes on line just a few weeks before the next oil crisis. :D

Posted elsewhere but worth a repeat based on this discussion ... the average 'days in inventory' for an '11 LEAF is 26 days; for a '12 it's only 4 days. Assume this is an average nationwide but makes sense as '12's came on just as Tier 2 states started to order LEAF's. Here in the midwest I think I've heard of just a few people getting an 'orphan' and some of those were out of state '11's anyway.

http://blog.truecar.com/2011/12/20/...ortest-and-longest-days-in-vehicle-inventory/

hardly think this constitutes as a glut

Most of the "orphans" are '11 cars without the cold weather package. Those are a tough sell - one of the reasons I leased my Leaf.

evnow said:
Most of the "orphans" are '11 cars without the cold weather package. Those are a tough sell - one of the reasons I leased my Leaf.
For those in CA, esp. So Cal, I'm not sure it's such a tough sell.

For me, living in Nor Cal, the battery heater and insulation is a useless forced feature I don't want to pay for. Heated steering wheel is nice, but seems frivolous. Heated seats I agree with, for an EV, but I'd rather have the choice rather than having them be forced on me (along w/the higher price) on the '12.

I basically mentioned this and my feedback about the '12 price increase to Mark Perry after the BayLeaf meeting was adjourned and also asked why these were forced on there. IIRC, I told him my guess was that when leased Leafs come back, having the CWP makes them more marketable in more areas and his response was "exactly!"

If I weren't in my goofy situation (which I've mentioned numerous times before), I'd have picked up an orphan '11 already, maybe even an '11 SV.

cwerdna said:
For those in CA, esp. So Cal, I'm not sure it's such a tough sell.

For me, living in Nor Cal, the battery heater and insulation is a useless forced feature I don't want to pay for. Heated steering wheel is nice, but seems frivolous. Heated seats I agree with, for an EV, but I'd rather have the choice rather than having them be forced on me (along w/the higher price) on the '12.

The missus really likes the heated steering wheel and, okay I'll admit it, I really, really liked it when we were in Carmel over Christmas break.

Jagular said:
The missus really likes the heated steering wheel and, okay I'll admit it, I really, really liked it when we were in Carmel over Christmas break.

I too thought the heated steering wheel was stupid...until I used it. It's probably totally psychological, but I definitely feel much warmer when I use it. Overall the cold weather package is not that great for me either. The seat heaters keep me from using the Climate control, but not for very long b/c here in the Pacific NW I have to use the defroster every cold day b/c of moist air condensing on the cold windows when my breath and body heat warm the cabin up.

padamson1 said:
Jagular said:

I too thought the heated steering wheel was stupid...until I used it. It's probably totally psychological, but I definitely feel much warmer when I use it. Overall the cold weather package is not that great for me either. The seat heaters keep me from using the Climate control, but not for very long b/c here in the Pacific NW I have to use the defroster every cold day b/c of moist air condensing on the cold windows when my breath and body heat warm the cabin up.

Dry the car out and that will stop happening, at least it has for us up here in Seattle. I no longer have to use power defrost and minimally use even the fan and the windows are crystal clear most of the time.

It's interesting because simply adding the leather cover to my unheated wheel has made it feel much warmer to me in the winter and cooler in the summer. And it draws no power at all!

padamson1 said:
I too thought the heated steering wheel was stupid...until I used it. It's probably totally psychological, but I definitely feel much warmer when I use it.

TomT said:
It's interesting because simply adding the leather cover to my unheated wheel has made it feel much warmer to me in the winter and cooler in the summer. And it draws no power at all!

padamson1 said:
I too thought the heated steering wheel was stupid...until I used it. It's probably totally psychological, but I definitely feel much warmer when I use it.
Is the heated wheel leather wrapped?

TomT said:

Also you wont burn your hands on the leather covered steering wheel if it has been sitting under the Sun for a few hours... but I hear a lot of complaints about leather covered seats in hot climates.. not sure why?

redLEAF said:
Posted elsewhere but worth a repeat based on this discussion ... the average 'days in inventory' for an '11 LEAF is 26 days; for a '12 it's only 4 days.

Perhaps this is due to fewer '12s in the system to accumulate.. anyways who wants to buy a year old model?.. the depreciation is painful.

TomT said:

Yes, but the heated wheel actually transfers heat to your hands. I never liked heated seats before buying the LEAF and I too figured the heated wheel was silly, but I have become a convert, especially when it comes to the wheel. The act of making my hands warm really helps me feel warmer.

there are orphan 2011's but as far as i know, all 2012's still have to be ordered. iow, there are none on a lot that you can walk in a buy.

the 4 days time is started when the vehicle reaches port. most cars spend a minimum of 6-8 days in inventory even if picked ASAP by owner due to port, truck, dealer prep, etc. time.

vehicles sold closer to port may only take 3 days. so in reality, 4 days means zero available supply AND faster than normal processing time but i suspect that is due to the Leaf still not being nationally available.

lpickup said:
Yes, but the heated wheel actually transfers heat to your hands. I never liked heated seats before buying the LEAF and I too figured the heated wheel was silly, but I have become a convert, especially when it comes to the wheel. The act of making my hands warm really helps me feel warmer.

Which is why I just can't part with the 02 BMW X5 - the heated wheel is the best! :D Not that it has been cold up here - last night 9PM it was 50 :!: :!:

padamson1 said:
That was my experience with the heated steering wheel also. I was very surprised how much difference it makes to my overall comfort in cold weather. I don't use the heated seats much, but use the heated steering wheel all the time unless I've been able to preheat the car (which also works really well).

actually warming your hands goes a long way towards making you warm. the blood in your hands is a direct shot to your heart. the temperature of blood coming in regulates whether or not your body decides to increase circulation to your extremities and that primarily controls your feeling of warmth and your shiver reflex.

and the heater does draw power...just not very much. but look at how much it needs to warm!

adric22 said:
I don't believe any dealers here in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area have any extra leafs.
TEXAS NISSAN Grapevine, TX 76051 have 2 - 2011 for immediate delivery if anyone interested
EDIT
another one at
Courtesy Nissan, 1777 North Central Expy, Richardson, Texas 75080

If you are planning to lease, it makes no difference. And the savings in cost over the new model are appreciable. So, for leasers, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Personally, my decision to lease for four years is looking more and more like a good one...

Herm said:
... anyways who wants to buy a year old model?.. the depreciation is painful.

Not sure if I'll ever need the battery heater, but the heated seat and steering wheel make tremendous sense for an EV, I think. This morning, with ambient temp of 44 I was completely comfortable on my commute with only a sweater and didn't need to run the CC at all.

Keep in mind that the vehicle will accumulate water vapor over time just due to your respiration -- over and above any ambient humidity. Not only the air in the cabin, but the fabrics, etc... So the humidity inside the cabin can end up being well above the ambient humidity over time. It helps to park with your windows open for a while to allow air exchange to take away some of the accumulated moisture. Since the last 3 or 4 minutes in the car are at slow speeds I've also been rolling all the windows down then too.

cwerdna said:
If I weren't in my goofy situation (which I've mentioned numerous times before), I'd have picked up an orphan '11 already, maybe even an '11 SV.
If I were you - I'd lease Leaf. When it no longer works for me - I'd buy the leased vehicle from NMAC and sell it. I don't think you would lose much this way - except ofcourse if you bought a model without useful features like seat heaters ;-)

Back