A lot of improvements of a Leaf 2015 compared to 2011 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cgaydos said:
2015 got rid of the option to have both premium and charge package together on an SV - and took away the quick charge port as standard on the SV.
Huh? '13 SV didn't have quick charge (CHAdeMO) port standard. It was part of the quick charge + LED headlight package. '13 SV also had a premium package. And yes, on '13 you could get them together (I did). But yeah, they got rid of on '15 (don't recall about '14).

kensiko said:
Under -10 degrees, I see. That's what it is most of the winter here. So you got a point.

I have no idea where I would like to go with the Leaf if I got one. It all depends on how far it can go safely, I really don't want to be stuck with my baby somewhere. The Prius would still be used for the longer trips.

But, if I take an example here. My father is 40 km from here. It would be great to do the trip without recharging.

My wife does 88km round trip with no charge for work. She's had to stop to charge once when it was cold and windy but has made it as low as -3C. She does nothing to save energy. She will average avround 5.5-6.5 L/100km in her 2013 prius in the winter on Michelin Xice2 tires. If you can get better than that in the winter in your prius then you should also beat her in my leaf.

Since you have to use winter tires I'd recommend only the Xice or Nokian Hakka R2 as they are both low rolling resistance. I have the Hakka R2s on my leaf, I haven't driven in anything colder than -8 yet, at that temp I went 70km with full heat at 110km/hr for most of the trip and used 78% of my battery. If I go slow (under 70km/hr) around 0C I can still get 140 km or range.

I checked http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; around Quebec City, there's a DC fast charger in Saint-Marc-des-Carrières, another in Trois-Rivieres and then 2 more on the way to Montreal. There's no quick charge South, North, East or in Quebec City but there is a lot of 240v available in the city and to the East. There's only really 1 in the North so if you're going North of the city a lot it will be riskier than the other directions. If you're going South of the city you'd have to count on using home chargers and contacting the owner. Quebec owners have proven to be pretty passionate about EVs, I don't think you'd ever have a problem finding a location to plug in.

Your best bet is to just put a 240v outlet at your fathers place, you don't have to put an EVSE in just a regular dryer type outlet that is within 15 feet of a parking space and then get the EVSE that comes with the car modified to work on 240v. Then in all but the worst of weather (when you probably shouldn't be driving) you'd be able to make 40km. http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=d26an463g48jspherekmm4bof5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can even get a high quality 240v extension cord and unplug his existing dryer when you're there. If you're going to be there 5 hours or more even the regular 110v charge will get you back up to a very safe level for a bad weather return trip.

As for all the comments about packages and options, unless your bringing a car up from the US the Canadian cars have been pretty standard. No options, just S, SV or SL. At least for 2015 they all have the 6.6kWh charger (yes even the S) and I think it was so in 2014 too. DC quick charge, hybrid heater (heat pump), on all SV and SL. LED headlights are on the SL only. Check with Nissan.ca for more.

minispeed said:
As for all the comments about packages and options, unless your bringing a car up from the US the Canadian cars have been pretty standard. No options, just S, SV or SL. At least for 2015 they all have the 6.6kWh charger (yes even the S) and I think it was so in 2014 too. DC quick charge, hybrid heater (heat pump), on all SV and SL. LED headlights are on the SL only. Check with Nissan.ca for more.
You mean kW, not kWh.

Unfortunately, the Canadian equipment levels and trims aren't exactly the same as the US ones. The above comments aren't true of the US versions.

edit: Whoops, I now noticed the OP put in his location as being in Canada, which was unknown when many of us (including myself) initially answered.

cwerdna said:
cgaydos said:
2015 got rid of the option to have both premium and charge package together on an SV - and took away the quick charge port as standard on the SV.
Huh? '13 SV didn't have quick charge (CHAdeMO) port standard. It was part of the quick charge + LED headlight package. '13 SV also had a premium package. And yes, on '13 you could get them together (I did). But yeah, they got rid of on '15 (don't recall about '14).
Thanks for the info. I edited the original post to correct this.

My 2011 has been in a fairly mild climate, and has the Nissan Gold
Extended Warranty (8 year, 100k mile) for the next owner, so now
with the ability to buy a new battery in a few years, it could be a really
good deal, since it is an SL with the QC port. But, perhaps not best
for a cold, snowy Canadian climate.

Welcome to EV, it is a GREAT feeling to move along, almost silently,
using solar "green" electrons.

Our lease expires next May. We're trying to figure out "what's next?" Several options:

1. Extend lease - we're paying $405 now, which is crazy as far as I can tell. And not happy with range frankly, particularly winter.

2. Bridge the period to when the 2016's become available - hoping the batteries are stepped up.

3. Switch vehicle entirely (but we need a hatchback for the dogs).

Other people facing this same decision? Recommendations you might offer?

Thanks!

Mark

mtrexler said:
Our lease expires next May. We're trying to figure out "what's next?" Several options:

1. Extend lease - we're paying $405 now, which is crazy as far as I can tell. And not happy with range frankly, particularly winter.
Other people facing this same decision? Recommendations you might offer?
We're not even sure what you have. Can you change your signature to include your model year and trim? We also don't know your lease terms.

Two of my favorite improvements new to the 2015 (not 2014) were:

1. Cruise control became standard across all models, even the "lowly" S.
2. Larger cargo area in the back because some electronics were moved up front.

I like B mode too, but wish it would bring the vehicle to a complete stop!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I would go 2014 or newer cause S models get cruise control and B mode

mbender said:
Huh? Not sure what you're referring to. In the '13+ Leafs, the OBC that was under the hump in the back of the '11 and '12 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=69224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) got moved to be part of the PDM stack (http://articles.sae.org/11993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), freeing up space. See http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and any '13 Leaf w/o the Bose stereo.

For those w/the Bose stereo, like mine, the subwoofer is in the back, occupying some of that room that was freed up. Pics at http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
mbender said:
Huh? Not sure what you're referring to. In the '13+ Leafs, the OBC that was under the hump in the back of the '11 and '12 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=69224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) got moved to be part of the PDM stack (http://articles.sae.org/11993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), freeing up space. See http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and any '13 Leaf w/o the Bose stereo.

For those w/the Bose stereo, like mine, the subwoofer is in the back, occupying some of that room that was freed up. Pics at http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Oh, my bad. When I traded in my 2012 for the 2015, the salesman pointed out the larger cargo area and said that it was new. He must have meant compared to the 2012, but I understood him to mean new to the 15MY.

a lot of griping that there was little improvement since the LEAF has been introduced especially for range but EVERY person that has traded up to the 15 from an 11 or 12 has been very happy with the changes. Sure its only a little and that little seems all that much more since the most recent memory is the degraded range from their old car but still illustrates the point that the LEAF has not been nearly as stagnant as we think it was.

better heat
better (slightly) instrumentation
better range
better options

only thing missing now is adding capacity options

Very difficult to make any "life changing" improvements on this...same for the 11 to 15 Leaf

Attachments

• Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 66
DaveinOlyWA said:
a lot of griping that there was little improvement since the LEAF has been introduced especially for range but EVERY person that has traded up to the 15 from an 11 or 12 has been very happy with the changes. Sure its only a little and that little seems all that much more since the most recent memory is the degraded range from their old car but still illustrates the point that the LEAF has not been nearly as stagnant as we think it was.

better heat
better (slightly) instrumentation
better range
better options

only thing missing now is adding capacity options

2013 improvements may have seemed like just tweaks at the time, since the exterior was unchanged except for wheels on some models and since most coverage was with regard to the cheaper S trim, but in aggregate the improvements were huge. In addition to those mentioned above (and the heater by itself is huge for winter driving):

6.6 kW/h charger except on the cheapest models - cuts charging time almost in half on L2
you don't have to push the carwings button every time you start the car
remote now opens the charge door - charge door area now lighted
charge plug can be locked in place
cargo area more usable
heater can be turned off without disabling fan or vent
SOC now displayed - no longer have to guess from the number of bars remaining (or stare closely to determine if it is 6 or 7 bars left, for example)
Visor problem fixed

Thanks guys I'm reading all your comments and I keep them in mind. I'm not in a hurry so I won't buy in the next weeks. I'm still also in the wait and see mode about the new Volt.

The 2013 battery improvements are a substantial concern if you live in a warm area, but if you live in a cold area then the improvement may not be significant.

DanCar said:
The 2013 battery improvements are a substantial concern if you live in a warm area, but if you live in a cold area then the improvement may not be significant.

It's only hot here for a few weeks. I'm more concerned about cold.

Back