Active Steering on Cruise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev909

Just upgraded from an 18 Tekna to 23 E plus Tekna.

Previous cruise control would follow the car infromt including steer its self. Bit of a party trick for a few seconds no handed then get told off by the dash.

My new one says it’s active but seems to pull to the right, then tell me off for crossing the line ?

Drive normally no cruise it doesn’t pull, so doubt it’s tracking.

Steering alignment issue, easy fix at your local tire shop. Happens to mine also if I hit enough road objects to throw off my alignment a little.

Steering alignment issue, easy fix at your local tire shop. Happens to mine also if I hit enough road objects to throw off my alignment a little.
I’m not so sure when it’s a straight road no cruise it holds straight. But cruise on you can feel the motor trying to turn then wheel to the right ? Detector alignment??

When driving with your own hands, it's easy to keep it straight because we lack that kind of precision, so the wheel might be slightly left or right for example. Unfortunately for the Leaf, it uses a type of actuator that when it thinks the wheel is straight, it might be off slightly. So you'll notice the drift when it tries to center the wheel but can't as the vehicle just slowly coast into the side of the road. Basically that actuator center and the actual drive center need to be lined up for it to function properly. Usually a tire shop can do this as it's common issue with any "self-driving" vehicle, of course not full self driving or anything like that as the Leaf is just trying to center the vehicle on the lane.

The computer wants to keep the vehicle straight and tries to turn the wheel to the "straight" direction but as the car drifts it has to correct it and so you either get a lane warning or lane bounce or finally the computer just gives us because the driver is fighting it too much. Annoying I know, but comes with the territory of self-driving vehicles. 😨

That's how I know it's time to get my Leaf an alignment when the drive lane assist can't drive straight, lol. 🤣

When driving with your own hands, it's easy to keep it straight because we lack that kind of precision, so the wheel might be slightly left or right for example. Unfortunately for the Leaf, it uses a type of actuator that when it thinks the wheel is straight, it might be off slightly. So you'll notice the drift when it tries to center the wheel but can't as the vehicle just slowly coast into the side of the road. Basically that actuator center and the actual drive center need to be lined up for it to function properly. Usually a tire shop can do this as it's common issue with any "self-driving" vehicle, of course not full self driving or anything like that as the Leaf is just trying to center the vehicle on the lane.

The computer wants to keep the vehicle straight and tries to turn the wheel to the "straight" direction but as the car drifts it has to correct it and so you either get a lane warning or lane bounce or finally the computer just gives us because the driver is fighting it too much. Annoying I know, but comes with the territory of self-driving vehicles. 😨

That's how I know it's time to get my Leaf an alignment when the drive lane assist can't drive straight, lol. 🤣
Great response, I asked on Facebook but got some interesting responses

Back