Adjustable Height Interior Rear View Mirror

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyz

I'm tall and the interior rear view mirror badly blocks my view to the front right - its dangerous. Please provide an adjustable-height mirror, like many/most other cars. Thanks.

I guess I've never owned a car with an adjustable height rear view mirror... Neither my BMW nor Acura has it currently.

Tyz said:
I'm tall and the interior rear view mirror badly blocks my view to the front right - its dangerous. Please provide an adjustable-height mirror, like many/most other cars. Thanks.

Most cars, for me, the Rear-View Mirror is a SIGNIFICANT safety hazard.

The RVM is not required in CA, I believe, if one has Side-View mirrors on both sides.

But, Rear-Seeing is rather helpful at times.

Could we modify the RVM's position/mounting in some reasonable way?

Herm said:
I have never even seen one.

I don't know, maybe I'm the lucky one, but in cars that I owned most had a mirror with 2 ball joints (Leaf has only one), so you can move the mirror up and down at least to some degree.

I'm totally in the same situation, even if I seat pretty low, the mirror is blocking truck-size chunk of my windshield to the right at the worst spot - right in the middle of my eyes, so to see stuff fully when I'm turning I have to kind of check "behind" the mirror... Very annoying. I'm actually exploring the possibility of remounting it higher on the windshield, but the problem is that it is not clear glass over there, so I'm not sure if I can glue in the mounting boot...

I was worried about a non-adjustable rearview mirror when I test drove the Leaf. Now that I have one, I found that what I thought was a fixed bracket running next to the window was in reality just a wireway to hide the wires for the homelink. I am almost certain that my mirror has 2 ball joints. Certainly I was able to raise and lower it. If you don't see this when you look at your mirror again, let me know and I'll take a photo of mine to compare.

UkrainianKozak said:
I don't know, maybe I'm the lucky one, but in cars that I owned most had a mirror with 2 ball joints (Leaf has only one), so you can move the mirror up and down at least to some degree.

The SL with homelink mirror has a double ball joint and allows for about 4 inches of height adjustment. Not sure about the SV mirror?

derekjsmith said:
The SL with homelink mirror has a double ball joint and allows for about 4 inches of height adjustment. Not sure about the SV mirror?
Thanks for pointing that out! I just checked my SV and can confirm that it too has the same mirror with double ball joint. So the Leaf mirror is indeed height-adjustable in both SV and SL trims.

I checked again and it does have two ball joints and is adjustable. The problem is, it is at the highest position and I need it to go higher - hence I though it was not adjustable. Perhaps I'm unusually tall (6'3") or unreasonable in wanting a less obstructed view to the front right. The mirror could be an inch higher without the roof or lights interfering with the rear view lines, so please consider giving us some extra height adjustment.

Thanks.

Back