advice on lease for car coming in

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2msmith

Hello,

Nissan has informed me that my car will be delivered week of Sept 13th (southern california area). I order an SL model with the quick charge port. The "transaction price" listed on the website is 34,610 USD. This excludes tax, license and destination.

I am looking for advice on what monthly cost I should expect on a lease deal right now. The Nissan website quotes me 395/mo for 36 mo lease with 1999.00 down, but it doe say that that MSRP -excludes- tax, title, license, destination etc. So, I don't know if I have pay that up front in addition to the 1999 down or not. this quote is also for 12K miles per year restriction. I have a high credit rating, so if this factors into the lease price...

Would appreciate any input on lease prices before I close the deal....what should I expect for this area/ market right now ? Can I do better than their quote ?

Thanks..

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start here for plenty of reading material, advice, and a California-specific spreadsheet. A bit like "Where's Waldo" to find a specific piece of information, but you'll learn lots of important info along the way. When you get done with this thread, try some other some of the other links you will run across. . .

Cheers!

k2msmith said:
Hello,

Nissan has informed me that my car will be delivered week of Sept 13th (southern california area). I order an SL model with the quick charge port. The "transaction price" listed on the website is 34,610 USD. This excludes tax, license and destination.
I am looking for advice on what monthly cost I should expect on a lease deal right now. The Nissan website quotes me 395/mo for 36 mo lease with 1999.00 down, but it doe say that that MSRP -excludes- tax, title, license, destination etc. So, I don't know if I have pay that up front in addition to the 1999 down or not. this quote is also for 12K miles per year restriction.

I don't know about CA, but here, we have to pay additional taxes up front on the fed tax credit and something else (can't remember), so that increased my monthly payment by about $25. I only expected to pay taxes of 9.3% on each payment. The online lease calculators don't take the extra taxes into account, so I was a little surprised. However, because I was able to reduce the MSRP by $2K, my lease payment for 36M/15K miles is under $400 including taxes. Expect yours to be over $450 including taxes (unless you put down more than $2K, but that isn't recommended for leasing) because for every extra $1K cost, your monthly payment increases by about $30 (based on Tier 0/.00204/4.9%). All the license fees, registration, destination was rolled into my monthly payment. Best of luck with your lease!

Thanks for your replies....Interesting newsflash. The dealer just notified me that my car arrived yesterday (it was actually a week early than expected) and that was before I received an email from Nissan saying that my car should arrive within 5 days. They need a few days to prep it for me, so I have an appointment later this week to pick it up

Now one interesting surprise, the MSRP they gave me in the email was about 800.00 HIGHER than the MSRP quoted on nissan site for my particular order (in my account). It will be interesting to see why the MSRP is higher for my configuration. (which is SL, quick charge port) than what Nissan previously told me when I ordered the car. they also gave me a lease quote for Tier 2 (they don't have a credit report for me yet) which they did not explain until I asked. So, we still have some discussion at the dealer before we agree on a final price..

The difference sounds like the shipping. We ended up doing a lease for $460, including everything (CA tax, too) because it was the best way for us to capture the federal tax credit. Plan to buy out lease in a few months.

Good luck with the process, and be sure to post on your experience.

You're right. the difference was exactly the amount of the destination charge, which I neglected to notice that the "transaction price" quoted on the nissan website (under "your account") DID mention that the price excluded destination charge, so we are all square.

I finally got the car today and I am generally happy with the way the deal worked out. Here is what happened (in outline form):

- I took possession of an SL model with optional floor mats, cargo net and quick charge port. I DO NOT recommend anyone get the cargo net. It's pretty worthless.That was my own fault. i didn't give it much thought when I ordered the car. I do recommend the floor mats and quick charge port if you want to bet on the DC charger infrastructure coming in the next 3 years.

- contrary to what others say, I did NOT get a discount under MSRP. My sales person claimed that with the limited supply, they could sell these without an trouble in our area (Ventura County) at MSRP. They also claimed that they don't mess around with the lease terms - they offered a straightforward deal. So, I didn't haggle further. I believed her.

- My lease payment was within $7-8 of the result I got using the CA lease calculator spreadsheet posted on this site with Tier 0 money factor 15K/36 mo. I was not able to reconcile the $8 difference. have not dug into that yet.

- With a 3K downpayment + taxes and license + first payment, my payment was approx 372/mo. That included 500.00 discount for trade in of my (very) old car.

- I did opt for paying an extra $16/ mo for the maintenance. which the finance mgr sold me on when I closed the deal. I was wondering what kind of maintenance does it need ? There is some routine maintenance required for rotating tires, checking fluids, testing battery - inspection. This would all be covered over the 3 year term for that additional fee. My lease payment now totals about 388/mo with that included . Interesting in hearing if any dealers cover this for free.

- The entire process took about 3.5 hours.

I am not going to mention the name of the dealer, but if you want to know - send me a separate email message. I had never dealt with them before (first Nissan) I will say that they were extremely courteous and straightforward. They were very friendly and there was a recognition that we don't fit the profile of your average car buyer. Very responsive to all of my email questions leading up to the deal. I was especially impressed with the amount of time they took to explain the car to me, which included all the systems (GPS, charging, car features). would I buy another car from them ? At this stage, Absolutely.

I would appreciate any questions or comments...on my particular deal. I don't know if I overpaid or not, but if people are really getting 1K under MSRP, I would like to know other aspects of their deal, especially lease terms or if they traded in another car etc.

k2msmith said:
You're right. the difference was exactly the amount of the destination charge, which I neglected to notice that the "transaction price" quoted on the nissan website (under "your account") DID mention that the price excluded destination charge, so we are all square.
Glad that got resolved quickly. :D Surprises at delivery have soured the experience for several posters.

We closed our's last night on a 36mo, 15K mile/yr lease also. It was our first lease and first experience with Nissan, and I can report that it all went very smoothly. Purchasing was our first choice, but leasing was the only way for us to capture the Federal tax credit and we plan to buy it out as soon as practical.

- contrary to what others say, I did NOT get a discount under MSRP. My sales person claimed that with the limited supply, they could sell these without an trouble in our area (Ventura County) at MSRP. They also claimed that they don't mess around with the lease terms - they offered a straightforward deal. So, I didn't haggle further. I believed her.
I had opportunities to meet with two out-of-town dealers, Dennis at Fontana and Ron at North Bay, and their prices were MSRP-$1000 and MSRP-5%, respectively. These are legitimate reductions confirmed by several posters. Ron frankly pointed out that savings would most likely be eaten up by trans-shipping (which is true) and their policy of only doing face-to-face closures vs. remotely via Priority Mail. I ended up going with our local dealer, AV Nissan at MSRP-$850 for the convenience of not driving 70 miles "down the hill" to Fontana and not having to find a charging station to make it home. Besides, it keeps the sales tax in this area and I have a better relationship with the dealer should I have questions or need maintenance. You know your area better than any of us living elsewhere, and there can be real value in dealing locally and keeping one's blood pressure low.

I do recommend the floor mats and quick charge port if you want to bet on the DC charger infrastructure coming in the next 3 years.
Absolutely agree with the QC port since it cannot be retrofitted and this is not the time to be burning bridges to potential future utility. I have other posters to thank for their input when I first sought advice on the QC question.

- With a 3K downpayment + taxes and license + first payment, my payment was approx 372/mo. That included 500.00 discount for trade in of my (very) old car.

- I did opt for paying an extra $16/ mo for the maintenance. which the finance mgr sold me on when I closed the deal. I was wondering what kind of maintenance does it need ? There is some routine maintenance required for rotating tires, checking fluids, testing battery - inspection. This would all be covered over the 3 year term for that additional fee. My lease payment now totals about 388/mo with that included . Interesting in hearing if any dealers cover this for free.
We did only the minimum $2000 payment to get the lease going, did not have any trade-in, and had previously negotiated a total monthly payment of $460/month, including CA sales tax. After adjusting to the current lower sales tax and a slightly lower money factor, we ended up just under $450. Didn't opt for any additional maintenance policy at this time, but can purchase it separately in the future if maintenance seems to be looming as an issue. From what I have read on the MNL Forum, the first 12-month battery check is on Nissan. I'll be looking for more details as I read through pile of manuals packed into the glove box. :roll:

- The entire process took about 3.5 hours.
I had challenged Victor, their fleet salesman, to get the whole process done in an hour or less. He had greased the skids as much as possible, but my propensity to read (most of) what I am signing, and my questions during his thorough vehicle check-out stretched it to 2.5 hours. In 20/20 hindsight, my 1-hour goal was impractical, and I would have kept him longer except for my desire to let him get home to his family. When the time comes for me to do the survey, I will give both him and the dealership high marks. In terms of ease and low blood pressure, the whole process rivaled our last purchase through the Costco program.

We had only one glitch in the entire process when Carwings would not activate. Although we were working from a screenprint of my Carwings account, it would not take the ID and password. Each attempt resulted in a response from the car that we needed to first set up our Carwings account. It may have been an AT&T reception problem inside their delivery bay, and we moved on with the checklist with a promise that I would try it again today from our home driveway where we can actually see an AT&T tower.

k2msmith said:
I shopped around and finally found a dealer who took $1000 off MSRP.
Glad to know another leaf is running in Ventura county ;-)

Danny
White SL & QC in Camarillo

HighDesertDriver said:
From what I have read on the MNL Forum, the first 12-month battery check is on Nissan. I'll be looking for more details as I read through pile of manuals packed into the glove box. :roll:

It's complimentary for the first TWO (2 yrs.) battery pack checks.

Thanks all for your replies ! Regarding my lack of MSRP discount, I probably could have been a little more diligent to negotiate this up front. I ordered my car on the Nissan website and selected my preferred dealer/area and had the car delivered here. By the time the car arrived, I had little leverage but to walk away from the deal and by that time, the sales folks already had the relationship, took me on an extended test drive etc.

At any rate, I am very happy with the car and the support from the dealer. Just drive it out to dinner last night (about 60 miles round trip) - had about 30 miles left on the charge after we returned. Already have played around with the web app to monitor charge and climate system.

Danny in Camarillo - I have seen one or two Leafs Camarillo - the one I saw the other day was black. (maybe near Starbucks ?) If you see mine (silver) give me a honk..

Back