Agency Set to Rule That It Shouldn't Regulate EV Charging Pr

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacti

Agency Set to Rule That It Shouldn't Regulate EV Charging Providers

Published May 30, 2010

"In a proposed decision that could have lasting effects on how electric vehicle charging services are developed, the California Public Utilities Commission is poised to rule that sellers of electricity as a motor vehicle fuel should not be regulated as public utilities."

http://sunpluggers.com/news

I can see both sides of the issue; if it's not regulated, you have companies marking it up (of course this is a profit motive for them, to install and deploy more charging stations/locations), if it is regualted, and there is not much of a "mark up" allowed, that could severly limit the expansion of private EV charging for profit locations... if there is no money in it, no one will do it.

I think a compromise, similar to what we have for gasoline should be considerd, road taxes will have to be built into it, and a reasonable profit for the owner of the charging station/electricity.

mitch672 said:
I think a compromise, similar to what we have for gasoline should be considerd, road taxes will have to be built into it, and a reasonable profit for the owner of the charging station/electricity.

The electrification coalition report says the chargers won't be profitable on their own even at high price. They will have to get their profits, like gas stations do, by selling other stuff. With EV chargers, they have a much better chance of selling other stuff since EV chargers will hang around for longer than gas refueling.

If Nissan can bring their $17K charger - I can see a lot of retailers installing them. If all Starbucks had them - we would be looking at 200 within 5 miles of Times square :lol:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif_sta_sto-lifestyle-starbucks-stores

Back