AIR CONDITIONER IN THE LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUEGIRL

I was unable to use my air conditioner yesterday, because it was using up too much battery charge. I know this happens, but was surprised at how much charge it used. Any one have any tips or ideas?

Are you driving in ECO mode? That should help a little. How much power is it using according to the nav screen?

I don't know where you are (please update your location) but the Leaf AC is actually quite efficient. The initial draw may seem high (particularly if you aren't in Eco which reduces the maximum usage), but it quickly drops down to a low value as the car cools down... Also, selecting recirculation will improve AC efficiency if it is notably hot outside.

BLUEGIRL said:
I was unable to use my air conditioner yesterday, because it was using up too much battery charge. I know this happens, but was surprised at how much charge it used. Any one have any tips or ideas?

This may sound crazy, but are you sure it's the air conditioner and not the heater? The heater uses 4-5 times as much power as the air conditioner. If you're using Auto climate control, depending on your temperature setting, it may be running the heater instead of the air conditioner.

It has been reported that the 2013 LEAF with the heat pump uses significantly more power than the AC in older LEAFs. Nevertheless, the LEAF AC should use higher power levels for a relatively short time then it ought to decrease substantially from then on. If you get a chance, try experimenting with it on hot days when range isn't limiting. You should be able to see the power used fall on the energy screen (assuming that you have an SV or SL model).

If you have the ability to plug-in before driving in very hot weather, try precooling the car first while charging (using the climate control timer). However, that won't help if you are dealing with a hot car in a parking lot that doesn't have charging available.

How are you determining how much charge the AC uses? Even if it runs at 5 kW for five minutes then 0.5 kW after that, it doesn't amount to much. If you are using the range estimates from the car, please don't. They don't tend to be very accurate.

dgpcolorado said:
It has been reported that the 2013 LEAF with the heat pump uses significantly more power than the AC in older LEAFs. Nevertheless, the LEAF AC should use higher power levels for a relatively short time then it ought to decrease substantially from then on.

Right. Initially, the AC has to get rid of all of the accumulated heat. Once it gets the cabin cooled down, it only has to contend with removing heat that is making its way into the cabin from outside.

It can help to open the windows initially to help "blow out" the worst of the heat. Even hot outside air can be cooler than the heat that's built up in the cabin, and it's free.

Back