Air Conditioning on 2013 Leaf using more power while moving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unosaxum

I just noticed the power consumption of the Air Conditioning system uses more KWH while the vehicle is in motion, than it does at a stop light.
when at a stop light the power consumption is around 1.5 kW but as I drive the power display shows it using 3.0 kW and stays there until I stop again then it goes back down to 1.5.
I'm no genius but I figure that since the A/C doesn't rely on the actual engine to move the compressor, that the energy consumption should stay about the same, or at least the power changes as the compressor is needed, not as the car is moving or not.

anyone else notice this or can give me a reasonable explanation?

other than that the A/C is awesome on the days of 104 deg.

I'm assuming you are in a very hot location.

Thermodynamically it's conceivable that the amount of work the AC can do has a lower limit in still air.

When moving there could be more airflow through the AC condenser than is possible with the fan. Therefore, more heat could be removed from the refrigerant per unit of time. That means more heat removed from the cabin per unit time, and ultimately, more work for the compressor.

In short the theory would be that the AC performance bottleneck in still air is the condenser fan and not the compressor.

My alternate theory would be that the AC electrical consumption display is like other aspect of LEAF instrumentation -- Made-Up-Units (tm) :roll:

I noticed this after a software update on my 2011 and complained to both the dealer and Nissan customer service. They claimed the update should have not done that, but there was no resolution. Before the update, it would draw full power while sitting still--I miss that on hot days because it blows colder air when the compressor runs faster.

Gerry

Crazy idea, but do you normally drive with ECO off? Perhaps some quirk in the computer logic is treating your state when stopped as ECO whether you are using that setting or not. The AC power is limited in ECO mode.

Ray

I haven't noticed it with A/C, but my 2013 SV will provide virtually no heat when stopped and charging with 120 volts. This despite the climate control being given priority over charging in the Settings. It does provide heat when I'm driving...

It happens if I'm in ECO or D or B or the A/C is in auto or manual.
I live in SLC Utah and its been in the 100s lately.
There is a temp difference when in ECO mode compared to D/B mode but I'm expecting that, it's mentioned in the manual.

Just think it odd behavior. The thermodynamics explanation is plausible. The A/C works so well in my leaf better than in my van or truck.

Back