Anybody use an extension cord with 220v?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO2Free

Just wondering how many of you use extension cords with a 220 volt outlet? I have access to a 220 plug at work, but it would take about a 30' extension cord to make it out to the lot. Is this a workable situation with an upgraded EVSE?

Thanks!

CO2Free said:
Just wondering how many of you use extension cords with a 220 volt outlet? I have access to a 220 plug at work, but it would take about a 30' extension cord to make it out to the lot. Is this a workable situation with an upgraded EVSE?

Thanks!
I bought a 50' 10 gauge at Harbor Freight and removed/put on the appropriate amperage (20A) plugs for 240V. No heat, works fine with the EVSE upgrade and dryer plug adaptor for use at friends. Take appropriate safety precautions when handling electricity, etc. I am the only one to ever use the set up so I am not worried.

I would be interested to hear any argument against not using it as well, but for me, it does the job well.

The liability for somebody tripping over the extension cord
is usually a primary concern of the business.

Try to park or position your car minimize danger to the car,
and to blind, deaf people walking or running in the area.

Use appropriate cautions if trying to use the extension
cord in wet or damp weather - protect the connections
from the adverse weather.

I built my own 30 foot 10 gauge extension cord and it works fine. But I agree with garygid that the main worries are creating a tripping hazard and sealing the connections in rainy or snowy weather. Although I haven't needed to do it yet, I've thought about using newspaper bags to seal the connections, just tape or twist-tie the ends of the bags around the cords.

However, the 240 V outlet I (occasionally) use is in a park near a children's playground, so I stay with my car while charging. That shouldn't be a problem in a typical work setting if the tripping hazard can be avoided.

If you could ensure the 220v receptacle was protected by a dedicated circuit GFCI, that should be a significant improvement in safety (not sure if there is much risk of nuisance tripping, however).

Ask if they will replace the breaker with a GFCI unit. Also, consider getting Leviton Wetguard connectors. They cost more, but are waterproof. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind. The life you save may be your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-26W48-Industrial-Grounding-Wetguard/dp/B003AU0NYK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1361916714&sr=8-16&keywords=leviton+wetguard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-27W48-Industrial-Connector-Grounding/dp/B003ATUX8M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1361916714&sr=8-15&keywords=leviton+wetguard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nate

DarkStar said:
I made two 25 foot lengths of extension cord that I use when necessary (12 AWG wire). Most of the time I only need to use one cord and it works great!

This is a good approach which I use as well. You can make a cord to the length you need.

Back