Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
gascant said:
Do you think that CHiPs would object if I "taped" the white HOV lane stickers to my bumper? LOL :lol:

I seriously doubt law enforcement cares what kind of adhesive you use to attach the stickers. But, I'd worry about theft.

I would, too, since I applied for my HOV stickers on June 4 and still don't have them. If you tape them on, let me know, and I'll be right over. :twisted:

oakwcj said:
TonyWilliams said:
gascant said:
Do you think that CHiPs would object if I "taped" the white HOV lane stickers to my bumper? LOL :lol:

I seriously doubt law enforcement cares what kind of adhesive you use to attach the stickers. But, I'd worry about theft.

I would, too, since I applied for my HOV stickers on June 4 and still don't have them. If you tape them on, let me know, and I'll be right over. :twisted:

yeah - you really don't want to get your stickers stolen. here's what happens: you have to re-apply, but you have to remove all remaining stickers from your car and send them in with the application. net result is that for 4 weeks you might be without HOV stickers, and are not supposed to drive solo in the carpool lane during that time. someone actually stole the stickers off of my prius early in 2011, but they only got 2 of them.

but i don't understand the original comment... what does the EV parking sticker have to do with the HOV stickers? you don't actually need both kinds of stickers to apply either one to your car.

6/09/2011 - took delivery
6/23/2011 - received plates & registration in mail
6/24/2011 - sent in applications for HOV & EV parking (separate envelopes)
7/20/2011 - checks cashed
7/22/2011 - received HOV and EV parking stickers
7/25/2011 - first day in HOV lane, miles/kWh dropped from 5.0 to 4.7 :(

Yes! We got our ZEV parking sticker in the mail today...finally. We are done, done, done. It took 2 1/2 months to get everything squared away...stickers, plates, registration, etc. I am a happy camper. :mrgreen:

Kat

SparkyEV said:
7/22/2011 - received HOV

How on earth are you getting 5 miles a KWH?

I received mine sat 5/23 by the grace of the ev gods. oh what a difference. i shaved 30 minutes off of my 50 mile morning commute.

I received my Leaf on 4/20 so it has been a long long wait. Thank you DMV for coming through after almost 2 months. I only put 2 stickers on , one on the left and one on the right. both in the bottom corner and inch from the bumper bottom. I'll let you all know if the fuzz objects and asks me to add the third.

I got my plates on Monday (7/25) and sent me application for ZEV sticker and HOV sticker on Tuesday. I sent them in separate envelopes with separate cheques just to see if that has any effect.

Interestingly my plates were sent to me from Fontana Nissan, not from the DMV like on all my previous cars.

6/10 Took delivery from Surf City Nissan
6/15 Tried sending in my HOV + Parking applications (one check, one envelope) with license plate blank + included an explanatory letter for my DMV friends
7/5 Received my application back from the DMV with a form saying "re-submitt (sic) when registration card recieved (sic)"
7/6-7/12 Called the DMV every day trying to determine if a license plate had been assigned and finally struck paydirt on 7/12. By the way, the first couple times I called the DMV'er told me they wouldn't tell me my license plate number over the phone, but the wonderful lady I spoke to on 7/12 read it off for me no problem.
7/13 Resent the same applications (license plate now filled out) and check in the envelope the DMV provided when my first attempt was sent back
7/26 Check cashed
7/27 HOV, parking, and registration all received in one envelope!!!!! Still no plates.

Now to try to figure out if I can drive in the 91express lanes free. Anyone have any experience with that?

UPDATE: 8/19 finally received plates. After looking into the 91express thing and seeing that it requires a $40 "deposit" I was over it.

fooljoe said:
Now to try to figure out if I can drive in the 91express lanes free. Anyone have any experience with that?

You have to apply and put down a $40 deposit... Fill out: https://www.91expresslanes.com/2010/specapp.pdf and send it in.

EVDrive said:
SparkyEV said:
7/22/2011 - received HOV

How on earth are you getting 5 miles a KWH?

I received mine sat 5/23 by the grace of the ev gods. oh what a difference. i shaved 30 minutes off of my 50 mile morning commute.

I received my Leaf on 4/20 so it has been a long long wait. Thank you DMV for coming through after almost 2 months. I only put 2 stickers on , one on the left and one on the right. both in the bottom corner and inch from the bumper bottom. I'll let you all know if the fuzz objects and asks me to add the third.

The Fuzz might not object but the camera's likely will if you drive in any combined fast trak / car pool lanes. You might get a nastygram in the mail if your sticker doesn't show when they take the picture as you drive past the sensors.

The cameras they use in some locations for auto enforcement shoot basically just the back of the vehicle, pretty much straight on. If the rear sticker is not there and the other two are not visible in the picture, you'll likely get an infraction notice...

SparkyEV said:
I only put 2 stickers on , one on the left and one on the right. both in the bottom corner and inch from the bumper bottom. I'll let you all know if the fuzz objects and asks me to add the third.

Update on EV stickers.

HOV and EV Parking stickers applied for after receiving plates on 14 June. I sent in HOV and EV Parking applications in same envelope with separate checks. Both checks cleared bank on 19 July and HOV stickers received on 21 July but no EV Parking. After a week I called the DMV Special Processing unit at 916 657 8035 and explained the history. The DMV representative had never heard of an EV Parking sticker but looked up my information and said something about the account being processed on 28th and locked. So I will wait another week and update on the EV parking sticker status.

I was also surprised to see the HOV stickers come with a HOV registration card and a re-issued registration card. I haven't compared the re-issued registration with the one received with the license but do you need to keep all three with the vehicle? The re-issued registration has the HOV Serial number on it - confused by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Either one of the registration receipts is fine, along with the HOV receipt. And you can keep a copy in the car, it does not need to be the original. I also advise that you take a sharpie and mark-out your street address on both in case someone should break in and rifle through the glove-box.

Nekota said:
I haven't compared the re-issued registration with the one received with the license but do you need to keep all three with the vehicle? The re-issued registration has the HOV Serial number on it - confused by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Nekota said:
HOV and EV Parking stickers applied for after receiving plates on 14 June. I sent in HOV and EV Parking applications in same envelope with separate checks. Both checks cleared bank on 19 July and HOV stickers received on 21 July but no EV Parking. After a week I called the DMV Special Processing unit at 916 657 8035 and explained the history. The DMV representative had never heard of an EV Parking sticker but looked up my information and said something about the account being processed on 28th and locked. So I will wait another week and update on the EV parking sticker status.
I did the same--two applications in 1 envelope. I received the HOV lane stickers last weekend, but DMV hasn't cashed the Parking sticker check yet. I'm tempted to send in another application and check. A friend said he sent both in together and received both sets of stickers in the same envelope. Maybe I'll call the number above on Monday to find out what's up with my application.

7/03:LEAF delivered
7/14:HOV & Parking decal mailed
7/23:License plates received
7/29:HOV & Parking decal received :)

I must not be living right:

May 2: Brought the LEAF home
Jun 13: License plates arrived
Jun 13: Mailed both forms together with one check for $25
Jul 30: No stickers yet, check still not cashed

I have to admit, though, that it's not a big issue for me. I'm retired, so I don't commute. I usually drive in the right lane anyway. My wife is almost always with me on the odd occasions when I want to use a diamond lane.

I might have passed altogether on the carpool stickers, except that I already sang that song once, and ended up very sorry about it. I decided not to get the stickers for my '04 Prius since I had a reverse commute, and I figured I'd let someone who needed them more get a crack at the limited supply. Later I learned they affected the car's resale value, and even later I traded my Prius to my grandson, who could really, really, have used them.

Ray

Finally got my ZEV parking and HOV stickers last week, after mailing in both applications with a single $25 check. Took just over a month. Forms and check mailed on 6/23. Check deposited and stickers received on 7/28.

It has been 2 months now. No sign of DMV plates. Ridiculous. Fortunately I drive slow (between 55-60mph on the freeway) and don't intend to get mowed down in the car-pool lanes. However, it would be nice to get it to avoid the wait at the metering lights or the ocassional bridge crossing.

gascant said:
Nekota said:
I did the same--two applications in 1 envelope. I received the HOV lane stickers last weekend, but DMV hasn't cashed the Parking sticker check yet. I'm tempted to send in another application and check. A friend said he sent both in together and received both sets of stickers in the same envelope. Maybe I'll call the number above on Monday to find out what's up with my application.

My parking sticker arrived on Saturday 30th with a 3rd printing of the registration dated 28 July which has the same information as the 2nd registration sent with the HOV stickers. The HOV serial number is part of the registration form now but the EV parking has no serial number nor could I find any information on the registration that mentions EV parking. I'll probably tick off a peace officer when I show him 3 registration certificates - I suppose I should use the last one.

wishboneash said:
It has been 2 months now. No sign of DMV plates. Ridiculous. Fortunately I drive slow (between 55-60mph on the freeway) and don't intend to get mowed down in the car-pool lanes. However, it would be nice to get it to avoid the wait at the metering lights or the ocassional bridge crossing.

You don't have to wait for your plates to send in your sticker applications. Call the DMV and they should be able to give you your license plate number as long as your VIN is in the system, which after 2 months it should be. Depending on whom you get, they may say that you have to go in to an office to get the plate number, but they gave them to me over the phone on the 3rd attempt (see my earlier post). I still don't have plates but I've been cruising the 405 in the carpool lane for a week now. :)

Back