Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! Just got my HOV stickers today 9/1. I ordered them on 8/1 once the dealer told me what my plates would be (before I physically had them.. That took 2 months!). I had also ordered personalized plates so I put both plates on the extra info part of the form. I also included my cell phone which was a good thing as they had questions for me.. On 8/25 I got a call from the DMV asking if they could assign the HOV stickers to the initial plates as the personalized plates hadn't shown up yet and weren't in the system. They said when the personalized plates did show up and after I had switched the registration, then I could turn in a change form (no charge) to have the HOV stickers re-assigned to the new personalized plates.. I said sure! And today they came.. They are also linked to the VIN so I don't know how important having the right license on that little proof page is... It's not like anyone ever asked to see the proof page after years of driving with white stickers in the EV1 and RAV4 and yellow stickers in the Prius. Maybe if I'm feeling motivated I'll fill out the form... Now I'm just waiting on the personalized plates which I ordered a few days after getting the Leaf on 6/14.

Did they identify that form? It never occurred to me that I'd have to transfer the HOV stickers to my personalized plate, but if it's just a form I can mail in...

I think it might be the same form as used to order in the first place (?) maybe a check box for updated information? If not I'd just write it in the big box for extra info on the 2nd page. They said they'd mail a new/updated ID card/paper if I did that..

After three applications, three checks, and almost three months, I, too, have achieved satori, I mean stickerhood. Instead of fulfillment, I feel a strange emptiness and lack of purpose.

Nekota said:
dlich18 said:
malloryk said:
To those who have received the ZEV parking sticker: did you also get some kind of paper certificate showing proof?
No. Just got sticker and a new copy of vehicle registration, but it appeared identical to the vehicle registration I got with HOV stickers (i.e. not indication that I had a ZEB parking permit).

I think the DMV has to make a change to the registration which may explain why the parking sticker is taking longer to deliver - they don't have a way to document the parking sticker on the registration. I noticed the registration has the HOV sticker S/N but the parking sticker S/N does not appear on the registration. For proof, I recommend a photo of the EV sticker with S/N in view or send them your vin, plate, and EV parking and maybe they have a record of your application form. When I contacted the DMV about my missing EV parking sticker the DMV special unit contact did not know about EV parking stickers so brace yourself.

Nekota, Did you eventually manage to get the EV Parking sticker? Who did you speak to for assistance?

I got the HOV stickers but the EV Parking stick is missing as well :-(

GregH said:
They said when the personalized plates did show up and after I had switched the registration, then I could turn in a change form (no charge) to have the HOV stickers re-assigned to the new personalized plates.. .

I received my personalized plate today at AAA and have already had the white stickers quite a while. The DMV person at AAA said I did not need to do anything with the Access OK card. I asked her "are you sure, I wouldn't want a carpool lane ticket." She called the DMV "expert" and stated that the decals are also assigned to the vin # which is on the Access OK ID card and I am fine.

Has anyone actually requested a new ID card after getting personal plates? I believe the AAA rep, to a point. :roll:

Eeeeeeyahhhhh! Stickers arrived yesterday, about a month after the dealer sent the check. Just in time for the expected increase in freeway traffic with schools back in session after Labor Day. 17 months and $42000 later, I am a happy man, back solo in the hov lanes, until Jan 1, 2015. The stickers probably represent 20 mm of lower blood pressure and 5 extra years on my lifespan. Hopefully a 5-yr extension on the clean air program after 2014, given the paltry sales of EVs. It's either that or flight school.

I can't think of a scenario where a police officer would ask to see the ID card.. Especially on a Leaf with correctly applied white HOV stickers.. I think this might be a legacy CYA issue with the DMV when in the early days a few cars that should NOT have had stickers somehow got them.. I recall the ID cards came out a few years AFTER the first white/silver ILEV HOV stickers came out for the late 90s EVs. I also remember seeing a red old style Honda Insight with a silver sticker and calling in the number to the DMV (years before the yellow stickers). The ID card probably gave police slightly more authority to crack down on people with illegal stickers (methinks).

GregH said:
I can't think of a scenario where a police officer would ask to see the ID card...
Not all police/highway-patrol are knowledgeable about the stickers.

Once I got stopped and they said that the hybrid stickers had expired, and I said it was a ZEV sticker and still valid. They took the paperwork and "called it in", then said "sheepishly... OK, have a nice day and drive safe."

TEG said:
GregH said:
I can't think of a scenario where a police officer would ask to see the ID card...
Not all police/highway-patrol are knowledgeable about the stickers.

Once I got stopped and they said that the hybrid stickers had expired, and I said it was a ZEV sticker and still valid. They took the paperwork and "called it in", then said "sheepishly... OK, have a nice day and drive safe."

Someone else mentioned that they'd been stopped while driving on city streets (!), not on the freeway, and the police officer told him that he suspected that the white stickers were counterfeits, since they should be yellow for hybrids. He had to haul out his paperwork and explain at length in order to be able to go about his business. Sheesh!

mxp said:

Nekota, Did you eventually manage to get the EV Parking sticker? Who did you speak to for assistance?

I got the HOV stickers but the EV Parking stick is missing as well :-(

Yes I got my EV Parking sticker 10 days after the HOV stickers. I had waited a week and then I called the DMV Special Processing unit at 916 657 8035 who were not aware of EV Parking stickers but did indicate my file was locked and that meant something had been processed or mailed. I received the EV Parking sticker a few days later.

my timeline:

6/18 picked up Leaf
7/18 received pink slip in the mail
7/26 realized pink slip had license plate number on it, sent application to DMV
8/16 called DMV to check on plates. They said I should've gotten them three weeks ago. I was told to fill out new form for the plates... The woman also said they were working on HOV applications post-marked 7/25 I assume they batch these by the week.
8/18 received plates in the mail (didn't fill out new form so didn't matter).
9/06 finally received stickers.

As a side note, it looks like my dealer made a $3 error on the registration fees. I think this slowed things down for me.

I just received my stickers. I wasn't in any hurry for them, since I don't have a commute and I tend to want to drive slower than the HOV lane would demand, for the sake of range maximization. But it will be nice to have them in case I get in a jam when the HOV lane is flowing and I need to get somewhere sooner rather than later.

I took delivery of my car on March 30 but only sent in the HOV and EV sticker applications sometime in July.

Now, to decide which of the many sticker application location schemeshttp://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5219 to choose.

After 7.5 months I have gotten around to sending in for the HOV stickers. Not sure when I will need them but good to have I guess.

TRONZ said:
After 7.5 months I have gotten around to sending in for the HOV stickers. Not sure when I will need them but good to have I guess.
Even thought I don't normally use the HOV lane, they are great for freeway entrance ramps when metering is on.

jcesare said:
TRONZ said:
Even thought I don't normally use the HOV lane, they are great for freeway entrance ramps when metering is on.
Yes, that's what I've been thinking, too. Besides (if I ever get them) I plan to put them on as a quieter electric advertisement than the huge "zero emissions" lettering on the side of the car that I decided not to get.

Back