Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my timeline:

6/17 Picked up Leaf
7/28 Received title/pink slip in the mail
8/8 Sent HOV application to DMV
9/1 Received HOV decals (3-1/2 weeks)
9/3 Finally received plates and registration (11 weeks)

I don't know if anyone will believe this timeline (I certainly don't), but facts are facts...

8/13 Picked up Leaf
9/10 Received license plates and registration
9/12 Mailed out HOV and ZEV sticker applications (two checks, separate envelopes)
9/17 Received HOV stickers and ZEV sticker (same envelope)

I was completely floored when I opened that envelope and found all that bounty inside. Was assuming I'd be waiting at least 3-4 weeks for them. I'm not going to complain though. I'll check my bank account to see when the checks cleared, but I'm guessing it'll have been on 9/14 or so.

I also got mine much faster than expected. I sent them with separate checks in the same envelope on 9/6, and they came today.

0skiBear said:
I don't know if anyone will believe this timeline (I certainly don't), but facts are facts...

8/13 Picked up Leaf
9/10 Received license plates and registration
9/12 Mailed out HOV and ZEV sticker applications (two checks, separate envelopes)
9/17 Received HOV stickers and ZEV sticker (same envelope)

I was completely floored when I opened that envelope and found all that bounty inside. Was assuming I'd be waiting at least 3-4 weeks for them. I'm not going to complain though. I'll check my bank account to see when the checks cleared, but I'm guessing it'll have been on 9/14 or so.

Got my HOV stickers and the parking decal in same envelope. Wow, it has been 3 1/2 months! I wasn't in that much of a hurry though based on what I expected driving on the HOV lanes before (used to commute in a Prius and Honda Civic CNG). Tried the HOV lane today, not worth it unless it traffic is really heavy. Felt uncomfortable having to drive at 65+ mph and being tail gated. I will use it mostly for backed up entrance ramps, some arterial roads that have 45mph speed limits and the times the freeway is actually grid-locked.

wishboneash said:
bigdummy said:
Wishbone: You need to fill out and send in this form. No fee, just the form.

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg156.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll get your Christmas present early.

Good news! I got my plates yesterday. I thought I would wait it out.

I mailed the forms on Sep 15 and got the decals on Sep 26 by mail. Never expected this fast. Looks like there are lot more new leafs getting registered these days and got dedicated staff to process the forms at the DMV.

My timeline for the curious:

August 31st: Drove my new Leaf home!
Sept 23rd: Got my plates in the mail
Sept 24th: Sent off my requests for HOV stickers, CA parking permit and San Jose parking permit
Sept 27th: My bank shows San Jose cashing its check
Sept 29th: Got my San Jose parking permit sticker
Oct 4th: My bank shows the DMV cashing both checks
Oct 6th: Got my CA parking permit sticker and HOV stickers from the DMV in the same envelope

So, 23 days for plates, 5 days for SJ sticker, 13 days for HOV/Parking stickers.

------

EV Project timeline:

Sept 13: filled out the online form for the EV project
Sept 15: after some back-and-forth in email, accepted into the project
Sept 27th: Installer assessment. Took 30 minutes. Using existing dryer outlet I'd previously set up for my welder.
Oct 4th: Blink installed and running. Took 45 minutes. End cost to me: $0

------

1 month and 1 week of Leaf driving so far and I just hit the 2000mi mark. Happy camper!

After purchasing my Leaf on 10/16 (Sunday), I received my plates on 11/4 (Friday), less than 3 weeks. I mailed my sticker application the same evening.

A couple of interesting things. First, my plates are "6SW...." but I've seen a number of cars on the road with low "6T....." plates. I'd always assumed that normal plates are issued sequentially. Why would I have received "old" plates?

Also, my plates were mailed not from the DMV but by my local dealer! They are in the normal DMV post-paid manilla envelope but with a USPS Internet postage label showing the dealer as the sender and carrying $2.77 in postage. Also, instead of the normal, small registration slip, mine was the larger sheet that is printed at a local DMV, with the month and 2012 tags in plastic envelopes, stapled on.

Finally, I called the DMV on Monday 10/31 and they claimed that my VIN was not yet in their system. When I got the plates, my first though was "what an ass****" but now I've got a second thought: are local DMV offices now issuing plates for dealers? That might explain everything, including the older sequence plate if that was in the stock held by that office and the VIN not being in the system on Monday.

Any thoughts?

/Ted

I just got my stickers.

Leaf picked up 9/27
Plates arrived 10/25 "6TMB" plates, hov sticker application mailed
Check cashed 11/03 per my bank
Stickers arrived 11/04 "SU010778"

Quicker than I expected.

HOV Stickers arrived in less than 3 weeks. Commute much faster.

Picked up car Oct 17 from Nissan Sunnyvale.
Received Plates October 26.
Mailed HOV application Oct 27
Check cashed Nov. 9
Sticker received Nov 10.

Pleasantly surprised after rear bumper being replaced, received replacement stickers from DMV in 6 days. DMV deserves an atta-boy. Was kinda a pain though, having to include a copy of the body shop repair estimate and "all pieces" of the old stickers. Guess there must be a black market for them.

We have a small green sticker here in Tennessee, but when I called the DMV they told me it was really only useful in Memphis and Chattanooga where they really do have HOV lane enforcement. We have HOV lanes in the Metro Nashville area, but very little enforcement. Anyway, I sent off for mine. They go on the back bumper next to the license plate according to DMV.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there an easy means of shortening the process so that I don't have to wait for the plates?

I recall hearing of some means of finding out the plate number that has been assigned, so that you can put it down in the form. Is there any easy way to do that, esp. if leasing (which makes me not the actual owner)?

Back