Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my HOV sticker last week. I filled out the paper work at the dealer and they sent it into the DMV. This was nice. The only problem was last week when I went to the DMV to move my personalized plate to the Leaf I could not as another "action" was in process. The person could not tell me what the action was but to come back in a week or so.
But it was nice to have the dealer process the HOV sticker request. One less trip to DMV for me.
GHJ

I just got my plates this past Friday and both application and a single check for $25 in the mail on Saturday morning. The applications go to the same processing center so I think it should be fine. With a 3/30 delivery I was really expecting my plates to arrive more quickly. With any luck these will come before my next trip to LAX at the end of June so I can avoid any EV confusion in the parking structure.

I received my registration and HOV stickers together. Still waiting for the parking sticker.

On the registration, it says NFEE in the fees paid section. Did anyone notice this?

04/20/11 - Leaf Purchased
04/21/11 - CA DMV Personalized Plates Ordered
04/21/11 - CA DMV HOV Sticker requested, VIN only
04/21/11 - CA CCSE Rebate Filed
05/04/11 - CA CCSE Rebate Check Received
05/28/11 - Title Received
05/28/11 - ZEV Sticker requested (with plate #)
05/31/11 - CA Plates Received
06/03/11 - HOV Sticker Received
06/10/11 - ZEV Sticker Received
tbd - Personalized Plates Received

I'm confused - according to their website at http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm the hybrid HOV sticker program ends July 1st. And the yellow hybrid stickers are the ones for a "hybrid or alternative fuel vehicle". Electric is an alternative fuel, kinda. The white stickers are for SULEV vehicles (gasoline fueled). So, based on their website it appears that electric vehicles would not be eligible after July 1st.

The yellow stickers do expire on July 1st (no more hybrids in the carpool lane!), but the white stickers are actually for the ZEV (LEAF), ULEV, SULEV, ATPZEF/PZEF. I just received mine on Saturday.

Is everyone placing them on the recommended locations? (Left and right rear quarter panels, and rear bumper)? I've seen the smaller rear bumper sticker placed in the rear windshield.

johnr said:
I'm confused - according to their website at http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm the hybrid HOV sticker program ends July 1st...So, based on their website it appears that electric vehicles would not be eligible after July 1st.
This link explains it much more clearly, and has a table that shows which cars are eligible for white vs. yellow stickers.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

so has any one in SF bay area recd. it without the fastrak proof? I dont use fasttrak so want to know if everyone is required to have one or not? It says specifically for hybrids though.

margie100 said:
The DMV sent back my original application and my original check, and claimed the decals were issued on 5/12. (Which happens to be the day my parking decal was issued.) Since they never cashed the check, I think whoever processed it was confused by the parking decal. Hmpf. So...I am sending it all back to them.
This happened to me, also. I got the HOV stickers issued on 4/29, and only learned about the parking decal by reading this thread. I applied separately for the parking decal (different form, different fee) and received my application and check back in the mail yesterday, with a form for the HOV program saying that the decals had already been issued. I called them and asked why my application for a parking decal was refused using the previous issuance of HOV stickers as a reason and they had no answer, other than that someone got confused in the processing office. There was nothing to do but submit it again, and the person on the phone said there was no way to annotate my record to make sure it didn't happen again. I sent a note with it trying to explain the situation so it didn't happen twice, but it appears that one should submit both applications (HOV lane and ZEV parking decals) at one time to prevent confusion.

TT

No fastrak needed in the SF Bay Area for the HOV sticker of the LEAF.
csriram45 said:
so has any one in SF bay area recd. it without the fastrak proof? I dont use fasttrak so want to know if everyone is required to have one or not? It says specifically for hybrids though.

My carpool person has a 2008 Prius that he purchased new after driving our 2004 model around several times. He's bummed that he can't get stickers for his hybrid. We got our Leaf's HOV stickers a few days ago and I just stuck 'em in the glove box. Driving to and from work at 4am and 1:20PM means the freeways are still generally clear ... so I never stuck 'em on. When I was driving home today I said, "John ... check what's in the glove box". There, he sees the white stickers. "HEY ... I thought you couldn't get these any more!!" I explained the differences ... hybrids versus EV's. Jokingly I said to him, "I'll let you have 'em for $1,000."
:lol:

mwalsh said:
OK, so I got to play a little bit today. The only decal I personally fine acceptable is the small one. The big ones are pretty obnoxious. Here are a few placements. The bumper installations would be stuck on. The rear quarter panel/hatch ones would be magnetic. I'll try a test piece of the magnetic stuff for a few days on the side to make sure it doesn't blow off at highway speeds. :lol: So what I personally like best so far is just the single small sticker in any of the spots I place it, but probably the proper spot - towards the bottom of the bumper on the rear is my front-runner.

On the side, I really hate the positions on the bumper...."does my arse look big in this?". Towards the bottom of the bumper, replacing the small sticker with a big one, placed so it can be seen from the rear and the sides, isn't so bad. But I like the position up high on the C pillar, which I'd mount via magnetic sheet. The positioning in front of the rear wheel was just for fun...I don't think I could get away with this.

decal_1.jpg

decal_1_side.jpg

decal_1_other_side.jpg

decal_3_side.jpg

decal_3_other_side.jpg

decal_2.jpg

decal_2_other_side.jpg

decal_4_side.jpg

decal_4_other_side.jpg

sm_decal_1.jpg

sm_decal_2.jpg

sm_decal_3.jpg
where'd the images go?

2011-05-08: LEAF Delivered/Purchased
2011-05-17: Mailed application for California rebate
2011-05-19: Received registration in mail with License Plate information
2011-05-20: Mailed HOV sticker application
2011-05-20: Mailed EV Parking application (separate envelope)
2011-05-23: Plates Arrive
2011-06-01: Checks for HOV and Parking Cashed
TBD: CA Rebate check arrives
2011-06-03: HOV stickers arrive
2011-06-03: EV Parking sticker arrive (same envelope as HOV stickers)

I'm pretty surprised at the fast turnaround from the California DMV. That was impressive. My thanks!

2011-05-02: LEAF Purchased
2011-05-03: LEAF delivered
2011-05-04: Walked in application for California rebate
2011-05-04: Tried unsuccessfully to transfer vanity plate at DMV (was successful on a different new car one week earlier)
2011-05-04: Mailed HOV sticker application using previous vanity license number to be transferred to LEAF
2011-05-04: Mailed EV Parking application with separate check for each (HOV and EV parking)
2011-05-21: CA Rebate check arrives
2011-05-23: Received registration in mail with sequential License Plate
2011-05-23: Walked into AAA and transferred vanity plate to LEAF
2011-06-03: HOV stickers arrive with a new registration (doesn't look different from the registration I got from AAA on 5/23)

Cinnabar said:
2011-05-08: LEAF Delivered/Purchased
2011-05-17: Mailed application for California rebate
2011-05-19: Received registration in mail with License Plate information
2011-05-20: Mailed HOV sticker application
2011-05-20: Mailed EV Parking application (separate envelope)
2011-05-23: Plates Arrive
2011-06-01: Checks for HOV and Parking Cashed
TBD: CA Rebate check arrives
2011-06-03: HOV stickers arrive

I'm pretty surprised at the fast turnaround from the California DMV. That was impressive. My thanks!

i mailed in on May 19. nada yet.
i have sticker envy.
i hope they dont batch them.

Does anyone know if the Green stickers will be better than the White stickers (ie: have a later expiration date)?

Green stickers have nothing to do w/ the Leaf. They're strictly for PHEV's that meet the "SULEV" standard ... in other words, the soon to be released - 2012 Prius PHEV (rumor has it there is a select list of folks that will be taking delivery in less than 4 months ... but you didn't hear that from me). The Volt's smog is too dirty to meet the green sticker standard, so it doesn't even qualify ... though GM supposedly is trying to clean up the Volts smog so that it will qualify some day. Then again, GM's truths sometime require 'interpretations'. ;)
bytre said:
Does anyone know if the Green stickers will be better than the White stickers (ie: have a later expiration date)?
. . . . but if I can veer back on topic for just a moment - her's my white sticker placement on our Leaf:
hovTAGS.jpg
After being very dissatisfied with my application of EV sticker back in the 1990's (company vehicle) ... and dissatisfaction with yellow sticker on the Prius, I got really anal and laid out erasable magic marker lines to follow. The quarter panel on the left was particularly tough ... but I discovered that warming the stickers up with a hair dryer makes them have a bit of stretch, so they can handle corners easier without bunching up. That's my tip of the day. :D Anyway, these things were sitting in the glove box for over 2 weeks so I figured it's about time to flash 'em. Ok, I'm off to go ride around aimlessly in the car pool lane, so I can amortize the $8 cost !! (joking).

Does anyone know the number I would call at DMV about HOV stickers? I don't really want to call a general number. About a week and a half ago they cashed my parking sticker check but they still haven't cashed the HOV sticker check. I haven't received either sticker yet. Bummer is the sticker I really want is the HOV lane sticker. Wondering what happened. I mailed both 2 1/2 weeks ago. I hate to start over... I know it wasn't the post office fault since I mailed them together. I didn't want them to get confused as they had on others who sent them separately. Hopefully that didn't throw them off. It was the same address... Gotta love the DMV!

. . . . but if I can veer back on topic for just a moment - her's my white sticker placement on our Leaf:
hovTAGS.jpg
After being very dissatisfied with my application of EV sticker back in the 1990's (company vehicle) ... and dissatisfaction with yellow sticker on the Prius, I got really anal and laid out erasable magic marker lines to follow. The quarter panel on the left was particularly tough ... but I discovered that warming the stickers up with a hair dryer makes them have a bit of stretch, so they can handle corners easier without bunching up. That's my tip of the day. :D Anyway, these things were sitting in the glove box for over 2 weeks so I figured it's about time to flash 'em. Ok, I'm off to go ride around aimlessly in the car pool lane, so I can amortize the $8 cost !! (joking).

I put my stickers in the same spots. I tried to follow the lines of the car and it turned out ok, of course you will always look at one sticker and think "I wish I could do that one over" but overall it doesn't really matter cause I can drive in the carpool lane by myself now, I could have put them upside down and it would still look good to me :mrgreen:

Back