Anyone install additional 12v power outlets in a leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toasty

001.JPG

Anyone install additional 12v power outlets in a leaf?

I wish i had an 12v outlet in the rear/hatch area.

Anyone ever add one before?

I dont want to use a splitter from the front

th

Lasareath said:
What would you use the power in the back for?

Depends on what you use the back seats for. My kids would love charging plugs in the back for their various electronics. Mostly, though, they'd prefer a few 110V, low-amp, outlets like a lot of minivans have these days for the back seats. That way they can use their normal chargers.

toasty said:
I wish i had an 12v outlet in the rear/hatch area. Anyone ever add one before?
I had a line run directly from the battery to the hatch area for my sub. Cost about $250 (including taping into the speaker lines) and was money very well spent. Would highly recommend asking your local audio shop for a quote. I got 8 gauge wiring and I think 35 or 40 amp fuse so I can draw a lot more than a dinky cig outlet.

8 Gauge is what I used as well in my ICE car to hook up a 500Watt amp for my sub. I think it uses a 40amp fuse as well.

The wiring kit cost around $40 and I ran it myself.

I bought kit at this site: http://www.knukonceptz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
Oh I've done my share of installs. In fact my sub has been in two other cars (where I did the install) before the leaf! I don't think the leaf would be particularly difficult, but it would still take a good chunk of the afternoon to do properly. I'm probably too young to say this, but I've put in my fair share of time with plastic clips. Paying someone else this time around was way worth it.

Back to the subject at hand... low power or not, snaking a wire from the battery or fusebox to the back is kinda like wiring a house for a L2 charging station. It's better to put in thicker wire for "future proofing" because labor (or time ;) ) cost is more than the wire itself.

Of course if you're going direct to the battery it'll be an always-on source, which may be a good or bad thing, depending on how forgetful you are and how high the draw of your stuff is if you are running it with the leaf powered off. The Leaf 12V battery is relatively weak, and the leaf DC-DC doesn't take the best care of it as we've seen.

I agree with you, If you're going to do the job or have someone do it you might as well run a thicker cable now then have to do another one later on.

This is the Kit I used: http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KCA-K8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It's only $16.99

JeremyW said:
Lasareath said:
Oh I've done my share of installs. In fact my sub has been in two other cars (where I did the install) before the leaf! I don't think the leaf would be particularly difficult, but it would still take a good chunk of the afternoon to do properly. I'm probably too young to say this, but I've put in my fair share of time with plastic clips. Paying someone else this time around was way worth it.

Back to the subject at hand... low power or not, snaking a wire from the battery or fusebox to the back is kinda like wiring a house for a L2 charging station. It's better to put in thicker wire for "future proofing" because labor (or time ;) ) cost is more than the wire itself.

Of course if you're going direct to the battery it'll be an always-on source, which may be a good or bad thing, depending on how forgetful you are and how high the draw of your stuff is if you are running it with the leaf powered off. The Leaf 12V battery is relatively weak, and the leaf DC-DC doesn't take the best care of it as we've seen.

Since my ham radio control head blocks the oem plug I installed a USB charger, 2 outlet charger on the side of the console.

I connected it to the stock wires using T Taps.

This gives me a 2.1A USB charger available if I am ever so dumb to but an Apple product and a 1A USB charger plus 2 cigarette lighter outlets.

GlennD said:
Since my ham radio control head blocks the oem plug I installed a USB charger, 2 outlet charger on the side of the console.

I connected it to the stock wires using T Taps.

This gives me a 2.1A USB charger available if I am ever so dumb to but an Apple product and a 1A USB charger plus 2 cigarette lighter outlets.

any pics?

I can certainly show the installed unit but I am not willing to pull the front console trim, Sorry.

Back