Anyone ordered a MY2012 Leaf yet ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you going to put your dock in your garage? if so is there a panel in the garage, or just 120v outlets?

you can just buy an SPX dock or an AV dock cash and carry and have any qualified electrician install it if your quote is high or they dont show up

let us know , we are interested!

Kmp647

I take it you are in the business? :) I have just a 120V outlet in the garage. Does that make it more complicated for a charger install? I will let you know what the quote is for install.

Also - I assume you didn't go with the charger interface from Aerovironment?

its likely that in order to put a dock in your detached garage you will need a new wire run to the garage and a sub panel installed. so yes it will be extra to put it there

it might be less $ if you can put it on the exterior of your house near where you can park
though I have no idea if that will work for you.

No I am not in the business , just have been following the process on this forum for 1.5 years!
you learn alot!

Let us know if these guys show up!

Thanks! I was afraid of that. I don't think it would make sense for us to install outside of the garage. I have learned a lot too since reading this forum. If not for the people here, I think I would have dropped out of this process long ago.

Will let you know what the guys says today. Should be here in 10 minutes. Fingers crossed!

kayne

Kmp647

Guy just left. I am definitely not happy. I won't go into it, but he hardly spoke English, couldn't answer any question I had and was not able to give me a quote on the spot. He said that Nissan will e-mail me the quote in 2 weeks. UGH! He did say that they would run a wire/cable from my basement to the garage for the charging dock but did not indicate if it would cost more than a regular garage setup.

I was wrong about the name, it is E-Tec Inc. Do you have an electrician or company that you would recommend for install?

Thanks again for you help on this. It is making my day much better.

kayne

Kayne said:
Kmp647

Guy just left. I am definitely not happy. I won't go into it, but he hardly spoke English, couldn't answer any question I had and was not able to give me a quote on the spot. He said that Nissan will e-mail me the quote in 2 weeks. UGH! He did say that they would run a wire/cable from my basement to the garage for the charging dock but did not indicate if it would cost more than a regular garage setup.

I was wrong about the name, it is E-Tec Inc. Do you have an electrician or company that you would recommend for install?

Thanks again for you help on this. It is making my day much better.

kayne

Kayne,

Don't even waste your time, its going to come back at $3,000 - $4,000

you are better off contacting a local electrician, asking them how much to install a conduit from your house to the garage, and run a "2 pole (240VAC), 40A circuit", and have it mounted where you want your EVSE to be installed, then just get one of the Aerovironment EVSE's on eBay ($599 + $20 shipping), and have him install it. most on here don't even bother getting the Nissan quotes any longer, they are so high...

Mitch -

Really? That is disappointing. When we went for the test drive, the rep. from Aerovironment said the quote would be around $2,200 and we would get a 30% federal credit on the install. So I assume any lic. electrician can install and it will still be under warranty (battery) by Nissan?

In your opinion is there a better EVSE than Aerovironment's that is a comparable price?

Thanks for your advice.

kayne

Kayne said:
Mitch -

Really? That is disappointing. When we went for the test drive, the rep. from Aerovironment said the quote would be around $2,200 and we would get a 30% federal credit on the install. So I assume any lic. electrician can install and it will still be under warranty (battery) by Nissan?

In your opinion is there a better EVSE than Aerovironment's that is a comparable price?

Thanks for your advice.

kayne

Sure its about $2200 if you have a circuit breaker panel in the garage, with availble capacity ofr a 40AMP 2 pole breaker, and its within 30 feet of where you want the EVSE mounted, thats what they call a "standard installation". If they have to install underground conduit and a subpanel, all bets are off.

The AV unit is fine, and there is a seller on eBay that has the AV EVSE-RS units with the 15' J-1772 cables for $599 + $20 shipping. You could also consider the "SPX Power Express" for $749 + $25 shipping. The advantage of the SPX is it can run on smaller capcity circuits such as a 20A 2-pole, which in some cases means you don't have to upgrade your electrical service or subpanel.

You should just find a local electrician to get a quote as well, you'll probably find the final price is about half what AV quotes.

Kayne said:
So I assume any lic. electrician can install and it will still be under warranty (battery) by Nissan?

You dont even need a licensed electrician, it wont affect your battery warranty. The local gov may take you to jail but thats a different issue :)

Mitch -

Thanks for the info. When the guy came out he made it seem like there was no additional cost to having a detached garage, but then again his English wasn't great and I got the impression that he didn't know anything more than I did about the process!

Herm -

Thanks for the info on the warranty. I guess I just assumed I needed to go with Nissan's recommendation on this.

If you could describe the distance from house to garage and the ground cover or obstacles(concrete driveway.?)

That would help us give you some direction

kmp647 -

Sure thing. The distance is about 25-30 feet from the panel in the basement to the location in the garage that we want to install the charger. In that distance is just grass, no concrete.

kayne

Ok so good , no major obstacles

Call a local electrical co, ask them for a quote to run 240v power toyour garage

Tell em you need a 40 amp circuit

Report back with estimate

Don't waste your breath calling Nissan

Just get a quote and then you can compare in 2-3 weeks when your av quote comes in

Mine is just local here so no

Ask a neighbor or a friend who has used one

Or just take a chance and call a local person

It will be fine prob

Kayne - Sorry I'm a week late to this post but you should consider doing the installation of the cable, sub panel, etc. yourself. If the "homeowner" does the electrical installation/wiring, all that's need is an electrical permit and final inspection. A trencher can be rented from your local Home Depot for about $60 for 4 hours and cable purchased from Dominion Electric Inc. or other electrical supply house where you're located. Do the work yourself and if you're not comfortable with the final electrical hookup to the main panel then have an electrician come to the house and hook it up for you. Just leave the sub panel in your garage open so the electrician can see what you've done and you'll be fine. If you're local to Chantilly I could come and help you on a weekend get it all installed. You'll appreciate your charging station more if you do the work yourself...

BTW - I'm expecting delivery of my Leaf in the Nov. timeframe. I'll be doing my own sub panel installation in a few weeks that will be very similar to yours. I may document the whole installation process and post it on the web for others but I haven't decided yet.

viking said:
Cool, I pulled the trigger. Email said I will have to wait 3-4 months to get it however :-\

That's awesome! I waited almost 14 mos. from time of reservation and almost 9 mos. from order date.

Filmmaker8 -

No problem. I have been considering do some of the work myself, I am a bit nervous since doing anything electrical is a stretch for me. I could obviously "dig a trench" myself and could run the wires in the garage myself. I am a little less sure about installing a sub panel.

I am pretty local to Chantilly. I am in Gainesville so probably 30 or so minutes. Sounds like you have experience in this area. From what you are saying, it seems like it would be possible to at least do some of the work and then call an electrician in to finish up. I appreciate the offer of help and agree with you, whenever you do something yourself you are much more appreciative of it. :D I have an electrician coming this week for an estimate, but would like to follow up with you on this. If nothing else, even if I could come over and learn from your installation, I think that would be useful to me.

Very cool on a Nov. time frame, when did you order? We ordered ours Aug. 22, 2011 and Sheehy Nissan said possibly as early as mid-Nov., but we are expecting more like mid to late December 2011. Still, we are excited! What dealer are you working with?

Thanks for the help!

Back