Arduino challange - Open EVSE "shield"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1howell

I voted for your project and followed you as well, flyguy161 :)

On another subject, do have have a version of the code that supports the 2x16 LCD display (I2C Mode), supporting perhaps one or more of the 5 push buttons on the new ads fruit LCD backpack? I am about to put my EVSE in the box, would like to get the LCD working so I can mount that as well :)
Thanks, Mitch

just registered and voted; i've been following your open EVSE weekend project for some time and it's been great to see the progress!

chris1howell said:
Open EVSE comes to the Arduino. I built an EVSE Arduino shield for the Arduino Challenge.

Contest link
http://www.instructables.com/contest/arduino2012/?show=ENTRIES

Check it out and please vote if you like what you see...

I was just curious, aside from being able to use an Arduino, what are the benefits (if any) of an Arduino version over the OpenEVSE version? I would imagine it is possible to add additional functions more easily.

I was thinking, this is overkill for the LEAF's present charger, but perhaps we could add a way to have the Arduino identify the adapter end that is being used and adjust the available amperage rating that is report to the vehicle's charger accordingly. This would certainly add a bit of complexity as there would have to be some sort of identifier in a machine readable form integrated into the various extensions. If you have an L6-20, it would report back 20 amps, if you use an L6-30, 30 amps and so forth. Again, this is overkill for the LEAF's present on board charger, but might be something that is beneficial to other types and future electric vehicles.

Also, I know the connection is different on the Tesla models (unless they are using the J1772 adapter), but have you posted your link in the Tesla forums as well? You might get a few additional votes that way.

Good luck!

SuperGrover said:
I was just curious, aside from being able to use an Arduino, what are the benefits (if any) of an Arduino version over the OpenEVSE version? I would imagine it is possible to add additional functions more easily.

I was thinking, this is overkill for the LEAF's present charger, but perhaps we could add a way to have the Arduino identify the adapter end that is being used and adjust the available amperage rating that is report to the vehicle's charger accordingly. This would certainly add a bit of complexity as there would have to be some sort of identifier in a machine readable form integrated into the various extensions. If you have an L6-20, it would report back 20 amps, if you use an L6-30, 30 amps and so forth. Again, this is overkill for the LEAF's present on board charger, but might be something that is beneficial to other types and future electric vehicles.

Also, I know the connection is different on the Tesla models (unless they are using the J1772 adapter), but have you posted your link in the Tesla forums as well? You might get a few additional votes that way.

Good luck!

Tesla does this on their "HPC" portable charger, the adapters have different resisitors that the HPC reads, and then sets the J-1772 pilot signal based on the adapter used. I think this is way overkill for OpenEVSE, and it would also mean additional contacts would be needed on the AC power cord (to read the resistance of the adapter to identify it)

Most people use the OpenEVSE in a fixed spot, and just set the MAX current to what the circuit can provide. The other choice is making it for portable use, in that case you want the ability to set the MAXIMUM current, and that can be accomplished via a bluetooth adapter, by use of the 16x2 line LCD interface and a few pushbuttons (currently being worked on), or even via a serial port or a LAN interface.

The advantage of OpenEVSE on the Arduino form factor is, you can then use any of the other availble, existing Arduino shields to add functionalilty, so you don't have to "reinvent the wheel", for example, if you want to add an ethernet LAN interface, just buy an existing shield that has it, plug it it to the stack, then add in the library & code, recompile / upload... done, no muss, no fuss.

Chris has already brought out the unused digital and analog pins on the atmel chip and even labeled them, so unless you are into adding a bunch of functionality, you don't really need the Arduino shield version of OpenEVSE, unless you already have an Arduino and want to experiment with it/use it because you have it, or even use a larger version (R3) that has a lot more codespace (256K versus 32K), it all depends on what you want to do with the EVSE/design.

Mitch is correct, to only advantage to the Arduino is prototyping...

I would not use an Arduino with shield(s) for your everyday EVSE but for testing and development the ARDUINO is great. The shield was also built with larger through hole parts so modification is also easier. Hardware wise they are exactly the same, the Arduino UNO uses the exact same microprocessor as Open EVSE. I used the same pins as well, so all I had to do was load the Open EVSE code.

I would recommend that anyone interested in Open EVSE pick up an Arduino Uno and the "Getting started with Arduino" book. After a few hours playing around, you will both be ready for Open EVSE and you will have a better understanding how it all works.

In a few weeks, I will have an Open EVSE Arduino Shield kit available. I have the parts to build 25 kits on hand and the first set of prototype boards on the way, once the board design checks out, I will order another 20+ boards. I will have 2 "beta" kits available for anyone brave enough, there will be little documentation and a possibility the board could have errors requiring a trace to be added or cut (hopefully not)...

Thanks for all the votes... Gary you can vote by visiting the contest link in the first post.

Ok,I just got the uno and have the driver loaded...Presently going thru all the button tuturials including debouncing a button.This is really forcing me to learn something new whether I like it or not :eek: :shock: :eek: kpc

nice work with the display Chris, looks like that just needs +5V power, Ground, and then the (2) I2C lines extended to it, I can wire mine up the the OpenEVSE and I'm ready to try out some code when you're ready, I've already tested the display with the sample code on an Arduino, so I know the RGB display and 5 buttons work, also have my USBtinyISP tested with the OpenEVSE board as well.

Here it is, the OpenEVSE Arduino Shield Kit...

Stack -- Arduino -- EVSE Shield -- Adafruit RGB LCD Shield --

I have one shield Kit available now for $45 plus $5 shipping, it will go to the first person to send a PM... I have parts in stock and 21 more boards on the way (kits should be ready 2-3 weeks). I will start a reservation list. Arduino required but not included...

The Arduino shield...
- bit larger
- all the pins map to the same places as Open EVSE
- all the features are the same (GFCI - diode check - etc)
- runs the same software
- DIP and through hole components make hardware hacking easier
- all pins including pins in use are accessible
- will be available in a kit