Are my front motor mounts bad?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon357

Wanted to get some opinions on whether others think my motor mounts are bad in reference to the attached video.

I thought I had the problem solved by replacing all front suspension components, but I guess not as I still hear clunks going over bumps at speeds slower than 40mph.

In the short video (with audio) I put the parking brake on and tried to go forward and then in reverse.

Attachments

• IMG_8714.mov
    31.7 MB
Compared to what I see on ICE cars, that looks very normal.
Does "all front suspension components" include the upper strut bearings?
Otherwise, I see that even the tiniest wear on the stabilizer links make a lot of noise.

Compared to what I see on ICE cars, that looks very normal.
Does "all front suspension components" include the upper strut bearings?
Otherwise, I see that even the tiniest wear on the stabilizer links make a lot of noise.
Yes, even the strut mounts.

Is that movement all by somebody manually rocking the motor? If that's the case, I would personally replace the motor mounts.

I hear the sound now. Its the motor torque . It seems like more movement than expected. I'll do same to my car to check

Last edited:
Comparing videos, your motor movement actually seems pretty close to my 2018.

Attachments

• 20240315_124129_1.mp4
    21.2 MB
Comparing videos, your motor movement actually seems pretty close to my 2018.
Thanks for making that video! Yes, the movement appears to be very similar. Maybe the only difference is with mine I think I hear a more distinct tapping noise. I did order new front mounts to see if that solves the problem...maybe I can return them if they are not the issue (but I doubt it). The sway bar bushings look to be in excellent shape, so I really don't know what else it could be unless there is just some random loose part in the front end somewhere.

Thanks for making that video! Yes, the movement appears to be very similar. Maybe the only difference is with mine I think I hear a more distinct tapping noise. I did order new front mounts to see if that solves the problem...maybe I can return them if they are not the issue (but I doubt it). The sway bar bushings look to be in excellent shape, so I really don't know what else it could be unless there is just some random loose part in the front end somewhere.
What milage do you have on the car? Do you live in a hot environment? Is this common in this model year leaf?

I'll follow this with interest. I too have an annoying rattle to which I have changed everything on the front suspension to no joy. The only things left to suspect are motor mounts/bushings or sub frame bushings etc. I'll be interested to know how you get on.

What milage do you have on the car? Do you live in a hot environment? Is this common in this model year leaf?
I have 65k miles and it seems this car was in coastal southern California for all its life which is also where I am. So nothing too extreme as far as temps are concerned. I have no idea if this is common or not.

I'll follow this with interest. I too have an annoying rattle to which I have changed everything on the front suspension to no joy. The only things left to suspect are motor mounts/bushings or sub frame bushings etc. I'll be interested to know how you get on.
This is not so much a rattle, but more of a clunk when going over sudden bumps like pot holes, curbs, etc... at speeds lower than 35-40mph. I tightened subframe bolts, replaced entire suspension except swaybar bushings. However, when I replaced the swaybar links, I found no play in swaybar bushing and the swaybar held its position no matter where I moved it. I made the assumption that the bushings are fine.

The clunk is not metal on metal, it is more muffled like a thud. It feels like it has some weight behind the thud, not something lite. I also can feel the hum of the motor/gear box and the accelerator pedal. I think in a gas car, feeling the engine vibration in the gas pedal is indicative of bad motor mounts, maybe I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Back