Backup camera quality

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the refund end you might buy it at the dealership parts department if thats a concern, but if you verify first with another leaf that your camera is fubar then returns shouldnt be a big deal

estomax said:
on the refund end you might buy it at the dealership parts department if thats a concern, but if you verify first with another leaf that your camera is fubar then returns shouldnt be a big deal

That's the thing. All the Leafs at the dealer had the same crummy camera. I guess I can try a different dealership, but if it's something that happened at the factory I don't know why all the Leafs in my area wouldn't be the same. I guess I should look for Leafs produced a few months before or after mine.

SBCLeaf said:
Thanks. I took a closer look and it looks like there's some internal element that's messed up. It looks like some kind of plastic lens or something inside the glass has shifted.

I know you've got a better look that we do but are you really sure there isn't any residual film? The edge near the bezel looks kind of "ragged" to me. You might try picking at it there (very gently), just to see. I see what you mean about the off-center internal parts though.

g2wk2Dk.jpg

Nubo said:
I know you've got a better look that we do but are you really sure there isn't any residual film? The edge near the bezel looks kind of "ragged" to me. You might try picking at it there (very gently), just to see. I see what you mean about the off-center internal parts though.

g2wk2Dk.jpg

I tried that. I even tried using a needle and a razor blade with a jeweler's loupe to see better with. Whatever that is on the edge will not peel up, even with some moderately strong persuasion by a razor. You can see by the razor sharp reflection of the license plate that there's no "foggy" film.

SBCLeaf said:
Nubo said:

I tried that. I even tried using a needle and a razor blade with a jeweler's loupe to see better with. Whatever that is on the edge will not peel up, even with some moderately strong persuasion by a razor. You can see by the razor sharp reflection of the license plate that there's no "foggy" film.

Understood. It does seem like a safety issue. Whether or not you can get any satisfaction from Nissan you might still want to notify the NHTSA. Especially since it seems yours isn't the only one.

Nubo said:
Understood. It does seem like a safety issue. Whether or not you can get any satisfaction from Nissan you might still want to notify the NHTSA. Especially since it seems yours isn't the only one.

Thanks. I did notify them. The camera scares me because if it's around dawn or dusk I can't tell the difference between the shadow of our mailbox and a kid lying on the ground. Hopefully most of the time people will err on the side of caution, but I fear that sometime, somewhere someone will say to themselves, "oh, that's just a shadow" and keep on going.

Back