Bad news if you own your LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Just pop it in? Aren't they like S45k?

we're talking about 5 years in the future and you get credit for the used battery.

So if the old battery is worth $10,000 and the new battery is worth $35,000, they can pay $25,000 to upgrade to the new battery.

greenleaf said:
ILETRIC said:
You just go to Tesla charging station and they swap it in 90 seconds. Haven't you seen the famous Elon Musk video? It happens faster than a fill-up.

And voila - new battery. Nissan, where are you?
I think you are supposed to take back your pack on the way back. Otherwise, Tesla will charge you for the difference.

and voila, charging you for the difference gives you a new battery without paying the full cost, you only pay the difference in value with no haggling or waiting for an estimate, fixed values so you know exactly what it will cost before you make the transaction.

dhanson865 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

we're talking about 5 years in the future and you get credit for the used battery.

So if the old battery is worth $10,000 and the new battery is worth $35,000, they can pay $25,000 to upgrade to the new battery.
Do you really think we'll see people spend $25k on a five year old car? Sounds like a lot to me. I'd expect wealthier folk to opt for a new car.

This doesn't take into account cases where the massive savings in fuel might alter the picture. I charge at work for free for example. It's 42 miles from my house. You do the math. Even on my Hyundai, at today's prices, that's $3.60 cents every time I go to work. If I don't leave the house with a 100% charge, it's even more.

I don't work every day (pilot) but let's say I drive home 10 times a month. That's $36 in 'free gas' per month minimum. I had my last car 62 months. That's $2262 in gas I would have saved.

I only paid $16,000 for my Leaf. We drive it ALL the time. I've got 1800 miles on it so far in 36 days. I think I will get a free battery out of it. Have over 2 years left to lose 2 bars, and 51000 miles to drive.

I live in Texas, and have to charge to 100% on work days. I get to work in the winter under the best circumstances with around 13 miles range left give or take 5 miles. I don't want to push it where I'm dragging in on one bar left in case I have to go to a different lot to charge.

LTLFTcomposite said:
dhanson865 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Do you really think we'll see people spend $25k on a five year old car? Sounds like a lot to me. I'd expect wealthier folk to opt for a new car.

Some of these Model S owners have spent $75-$100K for their car by way of ordering every option under the sun on it. Once you get to that level of customization they are willing to pay a smaller amount to upgrade the car.

Some of them will upgrade by buying a new Model S or Model X down the road but some will be happy with a battery upgrade on the car they already like.

Read the 120KW/90KW thread to see why they would want to upgrade the battery.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24799-Older-Tesla-s-limited-to-90kW-super-charging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also we don't know that it will be $25,000, it might be less. I just threw out round numbers.

We owned our 2011 and they bought it back. With the new battery lease I may have been able to keep it and drive forever with just the battery lease. We leased the 2013 and really would love the desert battery coming out in April 2014 and then it could be a great buy. We may even buy out the lease.

They are also working on a 2015 battery that may do 150 miles on a charge. With the desert heat battery and that range it could be the best deal available. We will see what the future bring but it keeps getting better.

So I have two Leaf's. I bought a 2012 8 months ago for 19,000.00, and a 2011 a month ago for 16,000. I have TWO electric cars for a whopping 35,000.00! So I am not worried about resale.

emanresu said:
So I have two Leaf's. I bought a 2012 8 months ago for 19,000.00, and a 2011 a month ago for 16,000. I have TWO electric cars for a whopping 35,000.00! So I am not worried about resale.
Congratulations! I wish I could have bought a 3-yr old Leaf back in 2011, but they weren't selling them. ;)
However, unless something significant changes, I'll keep mine until it can't make it 10 mi RT.

thankyouOB said:
the 2011 early-build pre-tsunami leaf is a classic. on the west coast, it will wear particularly well.

That's what u think. My 2011 post tsunami LEAF glows in the dark :mrgreen: definitely a collectors item :)

Back