Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem. 2013 SV - 3000 miles. Got it on 4/20. Won't charge on 240v. Starts, then fails. 110v still works, but that doesn't give me enough time to recharge to use my car daily. Took it in to the dealership and was told an "update" will be out in mid July that will correct the issue but that I CAN'T use a 240v evse until then. EXCUSE ME? Is that the solution? I have a 2 year lease and am already out at least one month of my 24 months w/o a fix? I'm sorry....I LOVE this car and this technology, but Nissan needs to step up to the plate and fix this and/or compensate those of us who took a leap of faith that we would be able to use our cars on a daily basis.

RTL44 said:
I have the same problem. 2013 SV - 3000 miles. Got it on 4/20. Won't charge on 240v.
I CAN'T use a 240v charger until then. EXCUSE ME?
Which 240 volt EVSE are you using? It's NOT a charger. It's an EVSE.

The charger is on-board the car and part of the PDM.

Hmm, I wonder if charging at a lower current (say 3.3 kW instead of 6.0 kW) would also be a workaround.

This is a situation where the EVSE upgrade could be handy - you could figure out what the maximum current you can charge at on 240V before it starts to abort and still charge much faster than on 120V.

locman said:
locman said:
Same problem here. 2013 S with 4600 miles.
Car been in the dealer for 5 days. They just called and said it's the PDM; need to order part. promise to have the car fixed by friday. We'll see if that promise holds up...

Friday came and went without any update from dealer. I called them today and...no parts...not even an estimate on when they'll get the part. I'll call 1800-nissan1 on Monday to file a claim. The car has been in the dealer for 10 days now. It's not looking good.....sigh.....

Finally got my car back today after 15 days. PDM replaced. Problem fixed supposedly. We'll see.
Here's the notes in the invoice, which contains the diag codes. Instead of scanning and post, i'll just type it here verbatim.

***begin notes***
4703 hooked up scanner & pulled codes p316c, p3170 & p3171 all for pd system & b29c1 for evse (signal invalid). all codes were stored. printed codes & freeze frame data & contacted (name omit). was told to drain down battery & hook back up to charger & recheck. dis-charged battery & hooked up to charger. vehicle stopped charging & set same codes. contacted (name omit) & was told to replace pdm. replaced pdm. pressure checked pdm, it passed. cleared codes hooked back up to charger & charged. vehicle kept charging normal & no codes were set. all checks good.
***end notes***

locman said:
Finally got my car back today after 15 days. PDM replaced. Problem fixed supposedly. We'll see.

Keep us posted!

My story is not nearly as happy. Today is day 14 for me and I got a message that the Part will be available on July 6 (a Saturday.... during a holiday weekend...). They said it "could" be sooner but if the 6th is the true date I don't expect to get the car back until perhaps the 10th which would be a full month in the shop.

So today I got ready to 'LEAF' for work, and noticed my car didn't charge at all. I verified no timers were configured when I got home last night, and when I checked this morning, plus I remember it beeping when I plugged it in last night, acting like it was getting ready to charge. In fact, I unplugged and plugged it in twice last night, as I came back 30 minutes later, to change it to a 100% charge, and noticed it still wasn't charging. After the 2nd plug-in event, I noticed the lights blinking, and walked away. This morning, not a single mile was added to my pack, so I had to take my gasser to work.

Here's the kicker, I am using the OEM Level 1 EVSE (not upgraded yet), and I don't have any warning lights.

Is there any reason to believe that this issue can't happen with a level 1 EVSE? I guess it could be a different issue, but can't figure out what happened. Wish the LEAF stored a log of plugin events and why it did or didn't start charging.

It's charging now, but all I did was plug the car back in after booting up the car and noticing it wasn't charged.

lion: I don't quite follow your narrative. You say at one point "to change it to a 100% charge" -- doesn't that imply you are using timers? I have a 2011 Leaf, so I'm not knowledgeable about how the 2013 is different in setting an 80% charge, i.e. if it doesn't require a timer.

I normally charge my LEAF to 80%. I knew I had to do some extra running around, so I hadto change the default charging limit to 100% via the navigation console, no timers involved.

I got a call today saying to come grab my leaf that's still in need of a software update that is a month away ... Hmmmmm. My car also failed on their 3.3 charger... Using the 110 will not work for me and my daily travels... So ill be getting a rental car and be refunded my costs . I traded in a perfectly good prius c for this leaf. I hope this is fixed with the update and i no longer deal with this sort of issues .. I figure i could get a lemon law at this point but the other ev cars don't get my approval yet .. Other than tesla

MikeD said:
lion: I don't quite follow your narrative. You say at one point "to change it to a 100% charge" -- doesn't that imply you are using timers? I have a 2011 Leaf, so I'm not knowledgeable about how the 2013 is different in setting an 80% charge, i.e. if it doesn't require a timer.
Yes, the 2013 is different. It has a separate 80%/100% setting which is independent of timers. (The manual says that setting even applies to QC, though I haven't tried that. Timers, of course, do not apply to QC.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
Yes, the 2013 is different. It has a separate 80%/100% setting which is independent of timers. (The manual says that setting even applies to QC, though I haven't tried that. Timers, of course, do not apply to QC.)

Ray

I can confirm that the setting does apply to to a quick charge. I have to set it to 100% if I want to QC above my normal 80% setting.

locman said:

Just charged to 100% from about 30% fine on L2.
Hope it was only a bad part and not a design issue.

my leaf tech told me he thinks that everyone with the replaced parts will be in need of the update too.
The real test will be for you to drive your car on a hot day and drain past 40% and then try to recharge it while its still warm. Capitol nissan in san jose has three leafs that all didn't get new pdm instead we got to wait till a update is figured out. But maybe your pdm was faulty and ours are just finicky on how long it can take lv2 charging

bigt said:
my leaf tech told me he thinks that everyone with the replaced parts will be in need of the update too.
The real test will be for you to drive your car on a hot day and drain past 40% and then try to recharge it while its still warm. Capitol nissan in san jose has three leafs that all didn't get new pdm instead we got to wait till a update is figured out. But maybe your pdm was faulty and ours are just finicky on how long it can take lv2 charging

I don't think it is isolated to LV2 charging as my problem occurred on LV1 which is how I charge my car in my garage. My service manager shared with me that they do have the part and they are installing it on Monday but he isn't sure if it was delivered with the software update and isn't committing to give me my car back until he is certain it receives the update.

May as well call it Leaf OS3.14 Steakum Sandwich

So everyone who experienced this problem had error lights? While I've experienced the issue, I didn't have any error lights. I don't want to give up the car for several weeks especially if Nissan doesn't have a 100% handle on the problem yet.

This thread has scared me away from leasing a blue SV, terms were $2,000 down/$199 per mnth/24 mnths.

I will visit the dealer the end of July, maybe!

Don't let it scare you, it's a great car, and if you watch the charging process (just check in 30 minutes or so after you plugged it in), you should be fine.

Interesting thread. I had this happen to me for the first time on a chargepoint yesterday. I have over 5k miles and probably one of the earliest 2013s. Yesterday was fairly warm and humid, about 80 degrees and I drove about 35 miles at highways speeds reaching 80mph, from an 80% charge. By the time I pulled to the chargepoint I had 27% remaining. I let it sit for 2 hours on the chargepoint, but found it stopped charging about an hour later. When I drove off I had a yellow warning light that disappeared after another reboot. Normally I charge my car late at night/early morning, when it's cooler and never had this issue prior.

I also received an email from Chargepoint as well:

Dear Mark....,

We wanted to let you know that your vehicle, which is charging at EDWARD HOSPITAL / NAPERVILLE, is drawing very little power. Typically, this means it's fully charged, however, it may also indicate that your vehicle is configured for delayed charging. Your vehicle has accepted 4.97 kWh of electricity and has been plugged in for 01:05:10 (hh:mm:ss).

Thank you,
Team ChargePoint

My car was charged to approx 50% when it shutoff.

Today it's supposed to hit 90 degrees. I may have to do a test to confirm.

hm, so it can fail an hour after plugging in? Guess I'll have to automate the monitoring.

Issue started today on my 2 week, 2 day old Leaf with 780 miles. Charged fine on 110. Plugged into Blink charger at office, and kept shutting off after a few minutes. Another Leaf owner at office saw my struggles and mentioned his PDM had to be changed along with 3-4 more at our location (we have about 50 owners at our office).

Called dealer, and he seemed to think it was the charger until I told him I tried 4 different ones and had the same issue with each.

Taking it in tomorrow night, because they have no rentals, another item that does not give me a warm fuzzy.

Back