Battery percentage drops erratically on acceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful, after turtle you have like 500m until LEAF stops.
I experienced Turtle Mode once already: made it to the public charger back then, but discovered I was not able to use 12.5% of the leftover energy inside the pack.

That was my first attempt to trigger the DTC: because I was furious, that the dealership wasn't taking my battery issues seriously. Now I actually think, one should buy an used EV in the winter....

The battery issues have become much worse, since it became colder.

Be careful, after turtle you have like 500m until LEAF stops.
This is interesting, as I've triggered Turtle deliberately on a number of Leafs, older and newer, bigger and smaller battries, and haven't yet seen less than 2km on turtle ...... is your comment based on experience, or just theory ??

In the last time I see more Leaf with derivation between soc in the dash and soc on Leaf Spy which makes our cars unreliable to drive. in other words the number which is displayed in the dash is totally different compared to Leaf Spy.

My Leaf stops at 2,8kwh and Oostenrijker Leaf stops with 5,8kwh in it. Correct? Usually it should drive down to 0,4kwh. Do we need a BMS upgrade which shuts off the weak cells completely and reduces output slightly?

My Leaf says 10% soc and doesn't let me start heating remotely. Leaf Spy says i have nearly 6kWh inside and 30% soc. Maybe disconnect 12V after turtle?

Follow up to my earlier post: I brought my Leaf back to the dealer because the battery issues had gotten worse. Our local Nissan dealer was able to confirm and has started dealing with Nissan USA. Multiple cells are bad and Nissan USA has approved an entire new battery. I'll post a follow up about how the situation plays out.

Pete

In the last time I see more Leaf with derivation between soc in the dash and soc on Leaf Spy which makes our cars unreliable to drive. in other words the number which is displayed in the dash is totally different compared to Leaf Spy.

My Leaf stops at 2,8kwh and Oostenrijker Leaf stops with 5,8kwh in it. Correct? Usually it should drive down to 0,4kwh. Do we need a BMS upgrade which shuts off the weak cells completely and reduces output slightly?

My Leaf says 10% soc and doesn't let me start heating remotely. Leaf Spy says i have nearly 6kWh inside and 30% soc. Maybe disconnect 12V after turtle?
Mine triggers Turtle Mode around 4kWh: I went straight to the public charger, because I was on purpose driving close by it. I think it was about 500m, but I made it.

IMG_20240103_130330.jpg

Yesterday I think I was only 3% away from probably getting Turtle Mode. But here is what I'm going do? On AliExpress you can get a dirt cheap, steering wheel phone holder.

So once I received, I'm going film what actually is happening: because Leafspy might not be accepted, maybe the dispute commission would? But it's better, to have the data backed by what's actually happening in the car.

Because the dispute commission, would wanna see what's the issue. And the reason you go to them, is because the salesperson is refusing to solve it.

As the dealership, is refusing to drive it: that means, I'm going have to reproduce it and film it. Reproducing isn't that difficult, if I use Leafspy. Then I know when to stop... I only need to have on film when the dash SoC drops within a minute to ---%

Last edited:
Let's try... This is from 40kWh e-NV200 from the buyer of my car. Might be one of the most valuable videos ever.

Attachments

• VID-20231129-WA0014.mp4
    14.1 MB
As I said I have a video from this situation. From 78% to " - - - " and back to 76% in a minute. Don't know how to upload.
Post on YouTube, and share video? But I'm waiting, on a phone steering wheel holder. I don't see another good way, to record the dash.

As I said I have a video from this situation. From 78% to " - - - " and back to 76% in a minute. Don't know how to upload.
Did you get a EV Warning as well? Or a DTC? I have read, these cases don't always trigger an DTC. But nevertheless, Nissan would consider it battery issues as far as I have understood?

Just dealerships tend to threat customers quite badly, and say nothing is wrong.

I am always friendly to dealers. They deliver the results. Nissan decides, not them.

There is always time to upload to YouTube but that's bad for my Nissan stocks.

This video was made after 4 cells have been replaced and the car is at Nissan again to crosscheck.

We think two more weak cells have to be replaced. I stay calm.

I am always friendly to dealers. They deliver the results. Nissan decides, not them.

There is always time to upload to YouTube but that's bad for my Nissan stocks.

This video was made after 4 cells have been replaced and the car is at Nissan again to crosscheck.

We think two more weak cells have to be replaced. I stay calm.
I think that's not correct: unless you buying directly from Nissan, which isn't the case? Because only Tesla sells directly to consumers as far as I know?

So even if Nissan decides: if your battery problems aren't acknowledged, you can start a legal case. In the end of the day, the dealer sells Nissan cars and if they don't wanna take responsibility? Then maybe, they shouldn't be selling cars at all.

Follow up to my earlier post: I brought my Leaf back to the dealer because the battery issues had gotten worse. Our local Nissan dealer was able to confirm and has started dealing with Nissan USA. Multiple cells are bad and Nissan USA has approved an entire new battery. I'll post a follow up about how the situation plays out.

Pete
Good to know, my 2016 went in today, battery should be covered, dealer is going the extra mile. Mentioned 3-4 months to get replacement battery.

If all goes well, I'll be getting to 100k miles in no time :cool: Jerry

Yes I did the test under heavy load: I also noticed the min voltage got very low at 2.698 and this was only at 50% SoC: I'm waiting until it gets colder, next week around this time temperatures are suppose to be around 0 degree celsius or even colder. The plan is to not charge the battery full, because I need the battery to be between 20% and 30% because my goal is to trigger that DTC. My dealership who sold me the car, basically doesnt even look at the Leafspy data I would send. Even though its factual information.
..snip…
If you believe it may also error at higher SoC when cold, I would suggest trying to do the test at medium SoC (eg. 40-50%) as if it can throw an error code then there is less argument that you were trying to draw a heavy load off a battery without much charge. Nissan will be reluctant to repair and it may get down to the consumer guarantee laws in your country as to whether remedy is achieved.

My view is the car should be able to drive at normal traffic speeds under the conditions in your area (cold, gradient, speeds). In our case in New Zealand, when a prospective buyer was taking 2017 to 2018 40kWh cars ex Japan for test drives on the main highway causing problems, there were several that had crashing SoC under acceleration on the same road at around 50% SoC during our winter (was 5-10 deg C and batteries would have got closer to 0 deg when parked overnight).

If you believe it may also error at higher SoC when cold, I would suggest trying to do the test at medium SoC (eg. 40-50%) as if it can throw an error code then there is less argument that you were trying to draw a heavy load off a battery without much charge. Nissan will be reluctant to repair and it may get down to the consumer guarantee laws in your country as to whether remedy is achieved.
Whether Nissan acknowledge my battery problems or not, thats not important: i'm not claiming factory warranty. But making use, of the used car warranty.

But yeah, its actually my plan to do the test when its cold and with a SoC around 40% SoC. Definitely not below 30% SoC. I'm charging my car now to 50% dash SoC.

Going let the car rest overnight, let the battery cool down. Then tomorrow morning I drive 2.5km to work. Not trying to trigger anything, because I plan to try it on the autobahn.

Yesterday I basically did some recordings, to document the symptoms I have. All my battery issues, I'm recording. So when I'm going try to trigger the DTC, then I will do the same. I saw yesterday that my power was already being slightly reduced, at 45% SoC. Because I saw some power bars disappear.

My 2018 Nissan Leaf SL (40KW battery) has been an excellent car for 5 years. I bought it in August 2018. For the last 3 months, there is an erratic behavior in battery. From 100% to about 65%, it is good. When it goes below that, a slight elevation, or acceleration drops the battery levels by 5% or above drastically. Sometimes, it drops nearly 30% in less than 2 miles. But, it recovers about some of it when slowing down. Overall, on an average, battery lasts for about 90 miles (down from 120 miles just about 3 months back before this problem started).
LeafSpy Reading (on most recent trip) : distance: 26.0, Energy: 6206, Gids: 76, SOH : 86.10%

I took the car to the dealer. They said my 12v battery is weak, and it was at 80% efficiency, and advised me replace the battery. I replaced the 12v battery. But, the problem persists. I lost trust in the dealer. Need advise please.
So I have als been having the same issue for the past two months. When my battery hits 50%. I have a 2019 Nissan leaf w/79,000. I use my car as a daily commuter. I finally decided to take it to the dealership to get it looked at. I made sure that it was the perfect scenario for them to be able to replicate what was happening with the car. In addition, I recorded to instances of it happening, airdropped them to the service writer for the tech to look at so he knew exactly what I was talking about. Mind you there is a $175 inspection fee and that’s why I did everything in my power so the tech could replicate it. I got a call back from the dealership and they notified me that the tech was able to replicate and pulled the data from the vehicle and was on the line with the engineers from Nissan. Long story short they saw something in the data, so there going to pull the whole battery pack because it might be swollen, hence bad cells. So there will be no charge and putting me in a loaner vehicle until they take a deeper dive into it. I will update everyone as soon as they let me know what happen in about a week

Pete
Next follow up. Nissan provided a new no cost loner (ice) Nissan Kicks car while I wait weeks to months for the battery. My service rep reports that Nissan USA is currently releasing about 500 batteries nationwide for warranty replacements. My service department continues to be very supportive.

Back