Battery Rebalancing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaliepride

Why I want to know is that I intend to keep a spreadsheet of my battery health (capacity, and degradation through it's life). I want to know if I should be re-balancing the battery pack before taking a measurement. Today my battery showed 61.61Ahr & 95.02% Hlth, yesterday it had 60.76 Ahr & 93.32% Hlth. I've been reading sometimes batteries are unbalanced, then when re-balanced show a higher Ahr (could explain my result?).

So how does one get a MY2013 leaf ("warm pack" bought in September '13) to re-balance the battery pack? Where did the notion of doing this come from? Has there been any Nissan release about this?

I find it weird that "long life mode" would limit charging to 80% but most of the advice I've seen on getting it to re-balance has been to "let it charge to 100% and leave it plugged in afterwards for 2-6 hours".

I believe the advice about 100% charging to get rebalancing pertains to older Leafs. I think the 2013 Leafs automatically rebalance without having to do any particular charging protocol.

I just re-read your post, and missed the part about the capacity changes. The 2013 Leafs made in May or later (and perhaps some earlier 2013 Leafs), report their "normal" capacity as around 60 or 61 AHr. Older Leafs, when new, reported capacities around 66-67. It is not known what has changed, but additionally the 2013 Leafs reported capacity jumps around day-to-day, (as you have noted) also for reasons unknown.

Who knows, maybe you will be the one to figure this all out !!! :)

Back