Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK 10,500 miles per year and 85 british pounds = about 139 USD.

Not pretty.

KJD said:

Not pretty.
batteryproblemmnl

Yes, but I would take this with a grain of salt. The US is typically priced differently. Additionally, European adverts must always contain VAT, which is 20% in the UK as of this writing. Take the tax out, and it's relatively easy to see "about $100" for 12,000 miles annually. The reason why mentioned it here is simple: it offers a point of reference in terms of mileage tiers, contract length, and relative pricing.

This battery rental program is a great way for Nissan to loose a lot of customers.

And what about those who drive more than 15k miles/year? I expect to drive 20k annually, makes little sense to drive the Leaf with these prices.

I'd rent a battery if given credit for the one I purchased with the car.
KJD said:
This battery rental program is a great way for Nissan to loose a lot of customers.

jimgior said:
I'd rent a battery if given credit for the one I purchased with the car.
KJD said:

they dont give you credit. that's why it is called the SYB -- Steal Your Battery program.

KJD said:

Not pretty.

verses triple the taxes and double the gas alternative?? may not be so bad... in this lease scenario, i can see Nissan taking a much greater role in providing public charging (which they have)

put in an effective charging network and I could see this being very viable for both customer and Nissan. not too many situations like that here

smkettner said:
I might lease the whole vehicle but not just the battery. :|

Ya know, I'm just the opposite. I leased my Leaf BECAUSE of the battery. I'm not worried about the risk of keeping the car for a long time. It is so simple it will last forever, but the battery is another story. Lease it and transfer that risk to Nissan.

CRWscott said:
smkettner said:
I might lease the whole vehicle but not just the battery. :|

Ya know, I'm just the opposite. I leased my Leaf BECAUSE of the battery. I'm not worried about the risk of keeping the car for a long time. It is so simple it will last forever, but the battery is another story. Lease it and transfer that risk to Nissan.
batteryproblemmnl

I have to wonder if the battery rental would do anything for new car sales. Most prospects are used to a substantial monthly fuel payment. If they could purchase a new LEAF at a starting MSRP of let's say $21,500, and rent the battery at a reasonable price, then this could be compelling and more easily understood. Especially if the total operating cost, including the electricity needed, was below that of a comparable ICE vehicle. Of course, there should be choices, and Nissan offers the whole vehicle, inuding the battery, for an outright purchase in both Germany and the UK.

surfingslovak said:
Of course, there should be choices, and Nissan offers the whole vehicle, inuding the battery, for an outright purchase in both Germany and the UK.

Yet in the cool Pacific Northwest, I'd like to have a purchase a new battery option, other than the one that includes an entire car.

Of course, perhaps that is the best choice, as long as there is a tax credit for the new battery in a car. I'll worry about it when the Leaf gets down to ~60%... Oh, 202x sometime.

WetEV said:
Yet in the cool Pacific Northwest, I'd like to have a purchase a new battery option, other than the one that includes an entire car.

Of course, perhaps that is the best choice, as long as there is a tax credit for the new battery in a car. I'll worry about it when the Leaf gets down to ~60%... Oh, 202x sometime.

+1.
For me the magic number would be 45 miles freeway during winter.

There must be a lot of LEAFs in cooler climates, for which the batteries would actually last a while, according to Stoaty's model.

I think the argument to prop up a $12k worth used car with a $10k battery is a bit missing the point, mainly that one would have saved some money on gas, so its not really $10k. Also, the old battery is worth something (maybe $2k).

Secondly, unlike an ICE, given how much less wear and tear there is on the mechanical parts and the motor, the rest of the Leaf should be in much better shape than a similarly aged ICE.
So a new battery would make the car "like" new in most aspects.

If it had greater capacity, e.g. if my 2011 Leaf could go 150 miles with a new replacement battery, I would consider it better than when it was new.

klapauzius said:
I think the argument to prop up a $12k worth used car with a $10k battery is a bit missing the point, mainly that one would have saved some money on gas, so its not really $10k. Also, the old battery is worth something (maybe $2k).
Well, one can buy replacement modules for the LEAF for ~$5000 from a third party who claims they are new. Even 70% LEAF modules are worth something - I bet that one could make money refurbishing packs for $3,000 if a market for the old modules can be found.

Can the battery be replaced as a DIY project? Is it necessary to "marry" the battery to the control module with Consult III?

thankyouOB said:
shouldnt the nissan follks be about ready to tell us more about plans for 2014 and the SYB program?
I've been wanting to ask the same thing myself. The silence in this thread had become deafening.

I was *this* close to trading my '11 in for a '13 lease, but my '11 is in great shape, save for the battery, so why throw away a perfectly good chassis (not to mention a ton of money)? Hoping a sensible battery replacement offer comes to the fore soon. I'm getting irritated with Nissan's evasiveness on the issue.

My guess is they will offer replacement TB when they're ready. They just don't have it yet, and don't want us to throw good money after bad. I know I wouldn't want to blow 5k+ dollars on the same problem battery I have now that will last 30k miles and bring me exactly to the same place I'm in today.

It would be nice if Nissan said something, but how can they and sell cars at the same time? It's a quandary. I do expect an announcement soon after the hot traction battery rolls out.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Through all of this has Nissan really left anyone hanging with a car that doesn't work?
For me, I used to be able to make my round-trip to work with quite a bit of margin (would return home with 4-5 bars), regardless of weather. Today, 2.5 years later, the margin seems much thinner (returning with 1-2 bars). Fortunately, I'm allowed to trickle at work (which I now do 2-3 hours a day), and DCFC infrastructure has grown in Seattle (three within a mile of my work).

I guess I just want to know what the end game is going to be for my LEAF. I was told at the LEAF test-drive event back in 2010 that the pack would be upgradable (of course, it was just some kid doing the talking), so that was one of the premises under which I made the purchase.

I feel bad for complaining, on the other hand, because there are dozens of people worse off than me in terms of capacity loss vs. mileage. I am closing in on 47,000 miles and still have all 12 bars, although I suspect #12 is just hanging on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back