BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
UhClem said:
I saw an EcoTality press release on a new QC near Lake Union in Seattle, but I'd guess the chance of that being available is essentially 0.

Maybe they'd like to sponsor my run? :mrgreen: I can't find an address for the current Bellingham DC charger. It's not on the AeroVironment site that I can find.

Here is the address for the Bellingham DC: 222 36th st.

These DC chargers are just coming online now, officially on the 30th of May, but a MNL member got a charge in the last few days by calling the 888-833-2148 number and AV turned it on for him.

There is a regional thread you can look at for the Seattle area that dicusses all this, start at page 120 or so: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=620&start=1190

Keep us posted, this is a facinating idea. Wish I could take the time to try this out myself, but hope to live it through your posts Tony! If you need a place to stay and L2 overnight in Seattle, let me know.

TonyWilliams said:
Well, before I launch, I intend to have a fairly detailed plan, with plenty of alternatives when things go wrong, as they will.

I'm very familiar with California, and lived in the east SF bay area for 10 years. Lived in Sacto for one winter. Lived in Ventura County, Orange County, and now San Diego (not necessarily in that order).

That climb at Mt Shasta, through Weed is going to be the single hardest part.
Ah, well then you don't need my help for the details in the Bay Area, Whereabouts in the East Bay - I've lived here all my life, but have moved around a fair amount?

From Santa Rosa, California to Grants Pass, Oregon is only about 10 miles further on the coastal route through Willits, Garberville, Eureka, Crescent City (each about 65 to 85 miles apart).

385 miles coastal, 375 miles inland central hot valley. Easy choice.

In terms of time, I miss the Ashland, Oregon QC station, which adds many, many hours.

I think I can do this at 200-250 miles per day, so 2 days from SJC to Grants Pass. Overnight in Crescent City so that I can sleep through a full charge and roll in the following morning (85 miles away) on my first leg of the Electric Highway.

If I leave Thursday, June 14, in two days, I can be set to launch on San Jose, CA on Saturday, which should take me all the way to Willits or Garberville Saturday night. Sunday night in Crescent City.

Monday in Oregon, which means Washington on Tuesday or Wednesday, and Pasco, Washington (after Canada) by Friday. About 10 days total.

planet4ever said:
(I did sneak the temperature up to 74, though.) What was not so good was that I went from 100% to LBW in 68.6 miles. I was driving 45-50 MPH for about 25 of those miles. I think I was close to VLBW when I got home at 74.7 miles.
Ray

When you put the temp at 74, what was your kW usage and how many miles did it say you would lose? I've found it uses much less energy set at 60, no Auto, fan speed set to 1 or 2. It uses just a sliver of energy and it's always 0 miles to 1 lost. I used to set it higher too thinking it would save, but the kW usage was never a sliver like it is now and it never read 0-1 miles lost.

Just got off the phone with the Nissan dealer at 1275 Santa Rosa Ave, Santa Rosa, CA (707-545-7050) and talked to "Don" who said that I could not charge there if I didn't buy the car there. He didn't know anything about a quick charger, so he suggested that I talk to David on Wednesday.

I really need a bit of help on the coastal Big Sur route, from San Luis Obispo to Monterey. Suggestions for any place that might have a place to plug in. Obviously, there won't be J1772; I'm worried about basic electricity. Also, recommendations for a place to stay about midway on highway 1.

TonyWilliams said:
Just got off the phone with the Nissan dealer at 1275 Santa Rosa Ave, Santa Rosa, CA (707-545-7050) and talked to "Don" who said that I could not charge there if I didn't buy the car there. He didn't know anything about a quick charger, so he suggested that I talk to David on Wednesday.

I really need a bit of help on the coastal Big Sur route, from San Luis Obispo to Monterey. Suggestions for any place that might have a place to plug in. Obviously, there won't be J1772; I'm worried about basic electricity. Also, recommendations for a place to stay about midway on highway 1.
Hwy 1 in that section just doesn't give you many options. I think you'd probably need to charge/stay in San Simeon, and then hit this place:

http://www.bigsurcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/California/Big_Sur.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't stay there, but it's the only place I can find in that section with 50 amp service.

With a full charge and no headwinds, you might just be able to make it the 90 odd miles to Monterey from San Simeon. I drove it coming south from Monterey a couple of months ago, and the section from south of Big Sur to south of the Monterey County line is fairly winding, and there was some roadwork underway in that section that slowed things down (single-lane convoying) even more when we passed through, but that may be fixed now. It's not too fast from Monterey to Big Sur, open and fast from just south of the Monterey County line to San Simeon. 101 would give you a lot more options, but will be hot and a lot less scenic.

TonyWilliams said:
Thanks Guy. I reserved an RV spot with 50 amp service in Big Sur.

Recommendations up through Crescent City. Places that will have things to do whilst charging?
Well, there's always this in Hopland if you've never been there, although I doubt you'll learn much new:

http://www.solarliving.org/visit-us/tours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://199.167.200.157/8927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, it's something like 87 miles from Crescent City to Grant's Pass on 199, and you've got to go over two passes with a total climb of ~2,500 ft. Did you find somewhere to charge en route?

GRA said:
BTW, it's something like 87 miles from Crescent City to Grant's Pass on 199, and you've got to go over two passes with a total climb of ~2,500 ft. Did you find somewhere to charge en route?

No, I haven't looked at that leg very closely yet. I'm kinda planning and making reservations as I go. I'm up to the Bay Area now.

I just ran that leg on the iPad Range App, and it shows 87 miles range with 5% battery degradation, 70F, and 900 feet net gain. I can mitigate the ups and down pretty good; slowing all the way up to near "stall speed", and as much regen as possible down, without gaining too much aerodynamic drag (too much speed). I'll be heavy, so it will be very close.

If anybody knows of anything with electricity along that route, that would be great!

It looks like Ukiah has a Super 8 motel with an EVSE. Just talked to David at Santa Rosa Nissan, and they have everything (concrete, wiring, etc) ready to go for the Blink DC charger. They're just waiting for Blink to reprogram and deliver the DC charger. I could get real lucky on this one.
I don't plan to do any real planning once I hit Oregon / Washington. If I need a camp spot or hotel, I'll pull out the iPad and find one.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

No, I haven't looked at that leg very closely yet. I'm kinda planning and making reservations as I go. I'm up to the Bay Area now.

I don't plan to do any real planning once I hit Oregon / Washington. If I need a camp spot or hotel, I'll pull out the iPad and find one.
BTW, if you do decide to stop at the Solar Living Institute, I'd definitely give them a call and let them know what you're up to - I imagine they'll be enthusiastic about giving you any help they can. At a minimum, I suspect they'd be willing to reserve one of their 14-50s for you on the day you're going to arrive.

Are you going to have any signs for your car? "Mexico to Canada - All Electric or Bust" or something in that vein, or are you going to fly under the radar?

GRA said:
Are you going to have any signs for your car? "Mexico to Canada - All Electric or Bust" or something in that vein, or are you going to fly under the radar?

Yes, professionally designed graphics (same company the did my "Love My LEAF" graphics).

Planning to have the car wrapped, so we're pushing to have all the graphics in by next Wed. If I can get it done, I'll display the car at out San Diego meet in Poway on June 9.

If you know anybody that would like to advertise, just drop me an email with the graphics attached to:

TonyWilliams

(at)

LoveMyLEAF

.com

TonyWilliams said:
Just talked to David at Santa Rosa Nissan, and they have everything (concrete, wiring, etc) ready to go for the Blink DC charger. They're just waiting for Blink to reprogram and deliver the DC charger. I could get real lucky on this one.
I'm confused - earlier "Don" at Santa Rosa Nissan told you one couldn't charge there unless they were a customer. But they're installing a DCQC for the public to use?

Centralia, Olympia, MT Vernon and Bellingham are now green on the AV site, making the Portland OR to Vancouver BC part of your trip officially doable by QC!

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Just talked to David at Santa Rosa Nissan, and they have everything (concrete, wiring, etc) ready to go for the Blink DC charger. They're just waiting for Blink to reprogram and deliver the DC charger. I could get real lucky on this one.
I'm confused - earlier "Don" at Santa Rosa Nissan told you one couldn't charge there unless they were a customer. But they're installing a DCQC for the public to use?

I have not had any problems using Santa Rosa Nissan's J1772 in the past year and I did NOT buy my LEAF there. Dave is the go-to person. Others may not know. As an alternative, ChargePoint's Level 2 at 575 Administration Dr., Santa Rosa 95403 is also available (free--unrestricted) but not as centrally located for activities other than government services.

Phoenix said:
drees said:
TonyWilliams said:

I have not had any problems using Santa Rosa Nissan's J1772 in the past year and I did NOT buy my LEAF there. Dave is the go-to person. Others may not know. As an alternative, ChargePoint's Level 2 at 575 Administration Dr., Santa Rosa 95403 is also available (free--unrestricted) but not as centrally located for activities other than government services.

Good to know backup info. The Blink they are getting is no doubt seen as a profit center (that hopefully they got for near free) and sales plus for LEAFs.

Ok guys, the planning is getting wrapped up. Anything north of Ukiah to Crescent City that I should stop at?

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

I just ran that leg on the iPad Range App, and it shows 87 miles range with 5% battery degradation, 70F, and 900 feet net gain. I can mitigate the ups and down pretty good; slowing all the way up to near "stall speed", and as much regen as possible down, without gaining too much aerodynamic drag (too much speed). I'll be heavy, so it will be very close.

If anybody knows of anything with electricity along that route, that would be great!

I suspect if you approach a few businesses in Cave Junction, OR you will be able to pick up enough range on 120VAC (or 240vac if you are lucky) to make it to Grant's Pass if you are running low. However, for a more whimsical diversion, you could call the people at the Treesort in Takilma, OR, (<10 mile detour off 199) near the mid point of this leg. They will likely be booked up for overnight accommodations in their tree houses, but they may let you charge up during the day if you arrange it ahead. It's a fun place to see.

Further south, you might consider taking the Avenue of the Giants (101 secondary) if you want a scenic mellow drive to help stretch the range. It only adds 3-4 miles over about 30 miles north of Garberville.

If you are up for roadside kitsch, there are at least 2-3 drive through trees along the way. Your Leaf could be the first through.

There's plenty of other (more) interesting stops on the north coast, but it may be a challenge to align them with charging opportunities of reasonable speed. If you are going to make Calistoga to Crescent City in one day it seems like planing on charging at 50amp RV parks with your portable unit at around 10kW will help quite a bit. Willits has an RV park with 50amp service, or the Willits KOA does, too, but it is probably pricier. There is a private RV park near Richardson Grove that could be a reasonable place to charge while taking a walk through the trees or down to the river. The state park doesn't have RV hookups. If you charge in Willits, Dean Creek RV park north of Garberville might be better spaced than Richardson Grove, though. Anyway, a fair number of options. I won't try to plan it because you know how far you want to go on each leg and its probably farther than my conservative legs. Have fun. I hope to do the north coast in my Leaf soon, too.

GaslessInSeattle said:
Centralia, Olympia, MT Vernon and Bellingham are now green on the AV site, making the Portland OR to Vancouver BC part of your trip officially doable by QC!

Can you please tell me what "site" you are referring too? The AV site I go to says no Washington chargers are available yet. Thanks!

solardude said:
GaslessInSeattle said:

Can you please tell me what "site" you are referring too? The AV site I go to says no Washington chargers are available yet. Thanks!

Yes, me too. These guys have a secret stash of info :mrgreen:

Back