BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ElectricVehicle said:
Why do you want to charge that fast at home? Testing purposes?

I travel more than the range of the LEAF almost every day. Rather than charge to 100%, and run to Turtle, it makes more sense to charge to 80% and run to 20-30%, and charge with DC.

I am embarrased :oops: to admit I missed the early mention of portable DCQC. This will help quite a bit (9.6kW). Also, will help on return trip as there are several Tesla-only-connector 70A stations in the great "waste-land" Central Valley along I-5 between OR/CA border and Grapevine. An adapter from Tesla-to-14/50 I am aware of could do 12kW (50A*240) or at minimum 8.3kW (40A rating * 208V single phase).

See Tesla Stations. Yreka, Orland, Woodland, Harris Ranch. (Also: Newport Beach, Goleta, Santa Maria and SLO on your way up ... (as pointed out by ElectricVehicle above).)

(You might even consider stopping in Atascadero at the Tesla/RaboBank before heading to Cambria due to higher speed of charging.)

Is there a separate thread on your portable DCQC ? Will it be ready ?

If used in a relay on the return trip ... instructions are required ... could pose an issue for the "uninitiated" ... could you describe in more details ? Photos ? Should be limited to use at existing EVSEs or RV parks, not with 3-phase or electrical panels.

:cool:

LEAFer said:

The trip is planned without this unit. It is currently receiving its ChadeMo certification in Japan, and should be complete June 6. UL / Intertek certification to follow.

There isn't a separate thread, but when I get it, I'm confident there will be.

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFer said:

The trip is planned without this unit. It is currently receiving its ChadeMo certification in Japan, and should be complete June 6. UL / Intertek certification to follow.

There isn't a separate thread, but when I get it, I'm confident there will be.

:!: :mrgreen:

You might consider using a breaker interlock that only allows one of two interlocked breakers to be on at any time. Then you could use, say a 100 Amp breaker for the DCFC and another 100 Amp breaker feeding a subpanel of the switched loads, since you can't put all the loads you want switched on the same breaker.
QO2DTI_lres.jpg

http://ecatalog.squared.com/fulldetail.cfm?partnumber=QO2DTI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could take two standard 150A 240V disconnects and use a rod on a center pivot that only allows one to be on at a time. Picture the switches mounted side by side with a seesaw connecting the handles.

Does this have to be code compliant and inspected by the city? I'm thinking a code compliant solution is pretty difficult. An A/B switch is prefectly safe but many inspectors won't approve it for an EV charger.

If you don't need the ETL / UL listings, you could get a properly rated switch and install it in an electrical box.

You could ask an electrician for solutions, They'd be more familiar with available devices and whether it might get approved by local inspectors.

LEAFer said:
I am embarrased :oops: to admit I missed the early mention of portable DCQC. This will help quite a bit (9.6kW). Also, will help on return trip as there are several Tesla-only-connector 70A stations in the great "waste-land" Central Valley along I-5 between OR/CA border and Grapevine. An adapter from Tesla-to-14/50 I am aware of could do 12kW (50A*240) or at minimum 8.3kW (40A rating * 208V single phase).

See Tesla Stations. Yreka, Orland, Woodland, Harris Ranch. (Also: Newport Beach, Goleta, Santa Maria and SLO on your way up ... (as pointed out by ElectricVehicle above).)

(You might even consider stopping in Atascadero at the Tesla/RaboBank before heading to Cambria due to higher speed of charging.)

If used in a relay on the return trip ... instructions are required ... could pose an issue for the "uninitiated" ... could you describe in more details ? Photos ? Should be limited to use at existing EVSEs or RV parks, not with 3-phase or electrical panels.

:cool:
I left out Tesla stations that have the Tesla Roadster connector, since I'm unaware where to get an adapter and I think it will likely be $500 to $1000 for the adapter. It would be nice to get though, because those 70A Tesla connector stations are in a couple good locations. Onve you have the Tesla Roadster connector adapter, there are 70A Tesla Roadster connector chargers at many of the Tesla stores. The Tesla stores may also have a NEMA 14-50. Using the Tesla Store would require special arrangements since the chargers are reserved for Tesla Roadsters, or so I was told once at a Tesla store..

When you do use these 70A charging stations, consider using a connector other than the NEMA 14-50 with a higher current rating so you can make use of the full 70A available. The NEMA 14-50, as Tony knows, is limited to 50A, and 40A if it's a continuous load.

ElectricVehicle said:
I left out Tesla stations that have the Tesla Roadster connector, since I'm unaware where to get an adapter and I think it will likely $500 to $1000 for the adapter. It would be nice to get though, because those 70A Tesla connector stations are in a couple good locations. Onve you have the Tesla Roadster connector adapter, there are 70A Tesla Roadster connector chargers at many of the Tesla stores. The Tesla stores may also have a NEMA 14-50. Using the Tesla Store would require special arrangements since the chargers are reserved for Tesla Roadsters, or so I was told once at a Tesla store..

When you do use these 70A charging stations, consider using a connector other than the NEMA 14-50 with a higher current rating so you can make use of the full 70A available. The NEMA 14-50, as Tony knows, is limited to 50A, and 40A if it's a continuous load.
ISTR reading somewhere (probably on a Tesla forum) that all the Tesla 70A connectors had been swapped out with J1772s, with Roadster owners using an adapter.

On another subject, Tony, you might also want to give the headquarters at Hearst Castle and/or W..R. Hearst State Beach a call and do some proselytizing, as well as see if they can accomodate you. When we were there in March I saw a Leaf in the parking lot at the Beach (the other side of Hwy 1 from the Castle parking/admissions office/bus shuttle to the Castle). I'd left my car in the Castle parking lot after dropping off Birthday 'Girl' and her BFF for the tour, while I walked across to the beach to do some hiking (as I'm not interested in the Lifestyles of the Rich and Fatuous). And even before I saw the Leaf I was saying to myself, "these are obvious locations for some L2s". There are picnic benches and a small museum (so power) at the beach, with parking, a fishing pier, and a kayaking concession as well as a nice hiking area. The fact that we had two more Leafs up in that area from well outside it within the next month or so demonstrates the usefulness.

At the Castle headquarters there's a whole lot of history displays, as well as lots of opportunities to suck money from tourists even if they don't tour the Castle. You can easily spend an hour or two there without the tour. There's also food service and indoor and outdoor tables.

Obviously the state has no money to spend on this at the moment, but the Castle seems to be some kind of public/private partnership between the state and the Hearst family, so it might be possible to convince them to give it a try (pay, obviously).

GRA said:
...ISTR reading somewhere (probably on a Tesla forum) that all the Tesla 70A connectors had been swapped out with J1772s, with Roadster owners using an adapter.

As I understand it, at least some of the publicly funded ones have been, but not the two on I-5 between Sacramento and Oregon, at Orland and Yreka. I've been trying to find hard info on these for over a year

I have been told that "Tesla owners" paid for these, but I've also heard the current ownership may be in doubt...

No idea of the reliability of these reports, but the Orland EVSE was still Tesla only, as of two weeks ago, when I stopped by.

Some of the Tesla connectors on public chargers have been changed to J1772, but not all. I'm not aware of a 70A J1772 connector at any of the Tesla stores.

If you have a more recent, definitive source than evchargermaps.com for the High Power (>40A) Tesla J1772 conversion status and power levels, please post it. Some of the entries on evchargermaps.com have been updated as recently as May, others are over 6 months old. The Harris ranch seems like a good location but the last evchargermaps.com update was 3/24/2011 and that report says it's a Tesla Roadster connector. http://www.evchargermaps.com/?SiteID=93210_1&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Tesla High power charging stations, I have not found a better source out of all the charging directories than evchargermaps.com . Recargo has some good information on some of the sites.

I'm always looking for the latest on high power J1772 because they are very useful for cars with 10+kW onboard chargers and you can deploy them at a closer spacing and for much, much less cost than a DC fast charger. I used them in recent public testimony to state senator Corbett as one of many things we can do to foster EV adoption. Note the Tesla Model S comes stock with a 10 kW onboard charger that has an optional upgrade to 20 kW for $1500. Sure wish I had that option for my LEAFy!

Tony - if you use a circuit breaker as a switch for the portable DCFC and other loads in your house, you should check that your breakers are rated for switching duty, epecially if you switch them several times a week. Some circuit breakers that aren't rated for switching duty won't tolerate too many switching cycles before wearing out.

Tesla connectors:

1] The stations along I-5 ( +Rocklin ) were funded with private monies, even at public locations, and the plugs are still Tesla. There are also locations in OR & WA that fit into this category.

2] The stations along I-80 (except Rocklin) were publicly funded and the plugs have been converted to J-1772. Not all locations along I-80 are 70A (actually most are not).

3] AFAIK ... The stations along 101 were a partnership between RaboBank/Solar City/Tesla, but I am not 100% how the money flowed. In any case, all have been converted to J-1772.

4] The Tesla stores have Tesla plugs, most if not all are 70A, but sometimes access could be restricted. Prior arrangement ( & "connections" no-pun-intended ) helps.

Some useful links:

Tesla versus J-plug (see post #937)

Adapter ( Post #84; I think I can find & borrow one for free ! :cool: if desired )

A Tesla trip

Tesla Highway

Interesting and thank you LEAFer! I'll check more into those links. At $400 for the Tesla Inlet alone, and considering the Tesla Roadster connector is no use for Tesla Model S owners, I think we should spend money on upgrading key stations to J1772 instead of spending on dozens of individual adapters that may be useful only for a few years before the stations ultimately get upgraded or replaced. Though having the Tesla adapter would be good for Tesla stores that may not want to upgrade, though I don't know if they'd let other EVs charge at the stores where some of the chargers are in showcase parking spaces... Something to investigate.. The mall security guard said the Tesla chargers and space were fir Tesla's only, though I don't know if that is the complete Tesla store policy.

I'd definitely like to see more high power J1772 infrastructure, say one high power station at a charging location, several 30A J1772, and a couple 16A J1772 for the Prius and Volt that may never get an onboard charger larger than 16A / 3 kW. You'd have a mix of power levels to maximize the number and utility of charging stations on an electrical service or panel with finite capacity. If we have more high power J1772 public charging infrastructure, car makers beyond Tesla might have 10, 15 or 20 kW on board charging as an option. With the 30A 6.6 kW as the norm for public J1772 car makers aren't likely to consider putting higher power onboard chargers in the car, which is a shame given the versatility of high power J1772 charging.

Tony -

This list of charging for a Seattle to San Diego trip Chad did in a Tesla might have an interesting charge spot or two for you:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3974-PIA-Blog-Tesla-Trippin?p=43674&viewfull=1#post43674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFer said:
Adapter ( Post #84; I think I can find & borrow one for free ! :cool: if desired )

I would love to have all the resources available for the trip. Plus, it will be nice to chronicle all the options during the trip.

Let me know if you do get the Tesla adaptor, and I'll go out of my way to use it once!!

Tony

attachment.php

ElectricVehicle said:
If we have more high power J1772 public charging infrastructure, car makers beyond Tesla might have 10, 15 or 20 kW on board charging as an option.

Tesla already offers 10kW chargers on the new Toyota Rav4 EV (due out summer 2012), and Model S (due out June 22, 2012) will have single or dual 10kW chargers.

LEAFer said:
Tesla connectors:

1] The stations along I-5 ( +Rocklin ) were funded with private monies, even at public locations, and the plugs are still Tesla...

Any Idea who is the responsible party for the Orland and Yreka chargers, how to get them updated, or to add a J1772?

As to Orland, between PG&E, Clipper creek, and, most recently, the restaurant owner, I've never received definitive answers.

edatoakrun said:
LEAFer said:
Tesla connectors:

1] The stations along I-5 ( +Rocklin ) were funded with private monies, even at public locations, and the plugs are still Tesla...

Any Idea who is the responsible party for the Orland and Yreka chargers, how to get them updated, or to add a J1772?

As to Orland, between PG&E, Clipper creek, and, most recently, the restaurant owner, I've never received definitive answers.
I made an inquiry and have an answer ... and added some of my own background explanation.

Given the fact that these privately funded stations were added at key points allowing Tesla Roadster owners driving long distances to bridge "gaps" (before other EVs came about or locations which lower range EVs were not able to reach in most cases) ... and despite the fact that most long distance Roadster drivers now have J1772-to-Tesla adapters (to also use the rapidly expanding J1772 infrastructure) ... these Tesla-only-plugs need to stay in place for a little longer due to the fact that Tesla Motors has not yet committed whether they will be providing the TeslaRoadster- or the J1772- to-ModelS adapter. Until this issue is settled (?early next year?) -- or Tesla SuperChargers are in place -- Model S drivers may require these remotely located 70A TeslaRoadster stations. (Keep in mind there are also several in OR & WA.)

While keeping that in mind ... the second part of the answer I received back: Solar City is in charge of maintaining / upgrading the stations at Comfort Inn, Yreka, and at Berry Patch Restaurant, Orland.

HTH :)

Here's another electric car odyssey of yesteryear, from the EV epoch of the late 1990's:
Travel along as Kris Trexler drove his GM EV1 electric car on a 3,275 mile cross country trip without burning one drop of gasoline! The trip began in Los Angeles, California on May 12, 1998 and ended June 2 in Troy, Michigan (just outside Detroit).
http://www.kingoftheroad.net/charge_across_america/charge_html/chargehome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may find this a useful source of ideas and items you may want to document aloing the way.

If you have an IPhone this app for the Trailer Life Directory might help you find RV parks along the way.

http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/mobileapp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sound like a great adventure.

MaryC said:
If you have an IPhone this app for the Trailer Life Directory might help you find RV parks along the way.

http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/mobileapp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sound like a great adventure.

Thanks. I have an iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro for the trip.

The biggest problem with the Big Sur coast north or Cambria is that there isn't commercial power. If there is power, it's on a generator until the "town" of Big Sur.

Back