BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Fathers Day, Tony!!! Say hi to Kendall from all of us here in the Bay Area.
It was great having you both here. Kendall was very proud of the "Make Music" app she was running when I went out to take some pictures.

Hi Tony

Glad you found Benbow RV Resort and that they let you charge. I bet it is beautiful tonite. Don't know if you are into geocaching, but I have 2 hidden within walking distance of the RV park. Great to meet you yesterday. Safe travels.

Mary

Benbow Inn EV station, left of main budding:

ff603899.jpg

Nice that they put that in. I have seen a couple of Tesla's stop at the inn and had to charge at the Park side of the resort.

Tony, since this LEAF is still very new, there is a datum that may or might support a theory I have.
What is the voltage reported on the gig-2 meter when you are charged to 100% ?
I assume you are getting close to 281 gids, especially if the temperature is moderate. Thanks.

TonyWilliams said:
This part, so far, appears REALLY easy. Santa Rosa is close to having a Blink DC, and assuming that worked, you could hit Ukiah Super 8 Motel quite easily (AV L2), then Benbow Hotel south of Garberville (bring NEMA 14-50 pigtail for your upgraded EVSE, your golf clubs and fishing pole), then easily make the Nissan dealer and public L2 at Eureka, then the Oregon border (might need a little more boost for that somewhere; let ya know).
That makes sense. Thanks. I guess my more significant concern was heading south from Eureka along hwy 1 to SF. I haven't checked for RV sites along there yet.

Bill

TonyWilliams said:
It looks like the last hit of the SPOT tracker was 10 miles away, so maybe all those Redwoods blocked it.

Tony - SPOT does have some trouble sending it's messages when you're winding through the trees like you are now. My hiking friend had the same trouble with hers when she was in canyons or on the side of mountains. It will improve by the time you get to Scotia/RioDell.

TonyWilliams said:
Got my first 7th temp bar ever !!! 95F plus a DC fast charge to 80%. Picture was taken 2-3 hours after the fast charge. Those cells are slow to get the heat out to the 4 battery temperature probes, and long on holding that heat.
Tony, I believe that it might have been warmer in North Bay than on the Peninsula yesterday. The daily high in Novato was 102 F, a new record. For what it's worth, I saw the 7th temp bar following a level 2 charge in Redwood Shores as well. It was about 90 degrees out, down a bit from the high of 98 F.

novatojune16

belmontjune16

tbleakne said:
Tony, since this LEAF is still very new, there is a datum that may or might support a theory I have.
What is the voltage reported on the gig-2 meter when you are charged to 100% ?
I assume you are getting close to 281 gids, especially if the temperature is moderate. Thanks.

I have not physically seen 281; that doesn't mean it was there, but consistently 278-280. Strong like bull.

Voltage is the standard 394.0 or 393.5.

On the Chargepoint in Eureka; $2.50/hr for 6 hours!!!

fc405a63.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
I'm officially one stop behind schedule, just leaving Eureka. $2.50 hour, left for 8 hours !!!! Chargepoint.
Amazing! The City of Eureka should give Los Altos Hills a call. They used to charge $5 per hour last summer, the highest amount ever reported. It's free now, wonder why ;-)

losaltoshillschargepoint

TonyWilliams said:
I'm officially one stop behind schedule....$2.50 hour, left for 8 hours !!!!

Better you arrive alive!! And even gas is more expensive "behind the redwood curtain". :)

TonyWilliams said:
About 5 miles south of Garberville. Gorgeous place with dedicated EV charging spot (you need your NEMA 14-50 adapter). Having a nice dinner with all the money I saved not buying gas.
TonyWilliams said:
I should have Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM)

:mrgreen:
Then you would not have been able to afford the Benbow dinner :lol:

All this talk about the batteries heating up....Aside from the infinitesimal amount of capacity loss that a few hours of this adds, there should be a corresponding increase in performance at these elevated levels.

surfingslovak said:
Amazing! The City of Eureka should give Los Altos Hills a call. They used to charge $5 per hour last summer, the highest amount ever reported. It's free now, wonder why ;-)
Blue Ribbon Supply Co in South San Francisco charges $7.50 per session, which could be considered worse for a shorter charge.

The units on the Stanford campus charge $3/hr. The lots near AT&T Park charge $2.50/hr. Yes, on top of parking fees. Eureka is competitive. :D 350Green, which runs Walgreens' deployment, are also charging $2/hr for all their Coulomb units now.

Re: Battery Heat from QCs -- Useful info from GaslessInSeattle: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7858&start=156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What was your route ? Did you "gain" any temperature bars at all ? Which one(s) ?

and from FairwoodRed here : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9215&view=unread#unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: GaslessInSeattle added some good info in another thread answering my above questions: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9215&start=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back