Blink installed,.... cable too short

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbshaun

It's about 17', so i can reach the car if it's in one location, but not if we park it in the other side of the garage (as may become the norm' if we're confident enough sell the mazda3).
Also it would be nice to have a long enough cable so it could be attached to a ceiling-mounted swing arm,... like at the DIY carwash. That way we could swing it to wherever the front of the Leaf happens to be without it laying across the floor, other car, bikes etc.

Anyone know if a longer one is available?

Thanks
Shaun

No idea if Blink will provide a longer cable upon request and I suggest you contact them but I think 25' is the maximum allowed.

I know ClipperCreek will sell you a nice 25' UL listed Yazaki manufactured plug and cable for about $350 plus tax and shipping.

I asked ECOtality about the possibility of getting a Blink with a longer J-cord, and they said it wasn't available.

After seeing the inside of the Blink, I do think you could swap out the cord if you bought a longer one. Might as well go for a nicer J1772 on the end as well....

Randy

Before it was attached to the wall did you consider the length and where you would charge the car?

I have a 4 car garage and I can only position it to reach 3 of the 4 spots but not all 4.

One option you can do instead of looking for a longer J cord is to tap into the current conduit and run another power line to your other side. Then you can just move the whole Blink box to the other side. This may actually be cheaper than buying a longer J cord.

EVDRIVER said:
Before it was attached to the wall did you consider the length and where you would charge the car?
For some reason i was thinking it was going to be 25'. I seem to remember discussing the length with the guy who did the inspection and working out that was what i needed.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I may someday upgrade the cable myself as the Blink is in the most convenient location.

I ordered a 25' feet cable with my charger and it really works out. I can charge my Leaf on either side of the double garage and even on the driveway. You should try to switch to the 25' cable.

The problem with cable length is that you do get some loss per length of cable. Longer cables need wider gauge, which in turn makes them even heavier, up to some practical maximum.

I have an AV charger with 15' cable. It's about midway along the side of the garage where I'll park the car, so hopefully it will reach no matter whether I drive in or back in. It will also reach under the door if I park on the outside. If not, I think $350 for a new cable might be worth it.

That being said: When working with high voltages, and high currents, make sure the connection is really tight to avoid heating that may cause a fire. Remove oxide before connecting cables. Turn all connecting screws VERY tightly (but don't break them or strip them ...). Or let a pro do it -- as long as that pro doesn't cause the arcing problem we saw in that other thread...

Back