BMW ActiveE spotted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailgate1234

In my office complex in Palo Alto, where there are already at least 4 LEAFs, I just saw a brand new ActiveE. It looks really nice, better than the 1 series it is based on. Has anybody here driven one?

tailgate1234 said:
In my office complex in Palo Alto, where there are already at least 4 LEAFs, I just saw a brand new ActiveE. It looks really nice, better than the 1 series it is based on. Has anybody here driven one?

How can it look ""better"? It is a 1 series, all of which are white, converted to an EV. Externally, it has a bunch of stickers, and a big hump on the hood.

TonyWilliams said:
tailgate1234 said:

How can it look ""better"? It is a 1 series, all of which are white, converted to an EV. Externally, it has a bunch of stickers, and a big hump on the hood.

The body panels and bumpers appear to be different. In a particular series, the body panels and bumper design can differ depending on whether there is some kind of sport package upgrade or, in the case of my M3, significantly different.

TonyWilliams said:
tailgate1234 said:

Also, this ActiveE had no stickers and no badge of any kind on the rear. The only way you would know it is the ActiveE is the very small badge on the front right and left saying "EDRIVE" and the lack of an exhaust. The interior appeared to be upgraded from a standard 1 series as well.

tailgate1234 said:

Here are some pics I took the day I drove it at the Irvine BMW dealer.

It steers and handles great, and you sit lower in the car than in the LEAF because it's a conversion of an ICE car, so you're not sitting on the batteries, they are clumped in three different places in the car to get 50-50 weight distribution. The acceleration feels faster to me, but others have said otherwise. I think that it is perhaps one second faster to 60 mph than the LEAF, from what I've read. The main thing that got my attention is the super-strong regen that isn't adjustable. For me, to keep from feeling thrown forward in my seat, I'd have to be careful to find the right accelerator pedal position between GO and STOP! Apparently, there is a "SAIL" position in between the two, but I didn't know to look for it. My take was that the car needs an adjustment switch for two or three levels of regen. As it is, a lack of attention on the driver's part will annoy any passengers with excessive braking force as the driver lets off on the accelerator. Otherwise, it was a really fun car to drive.

EDIT: I added a pic of the interior. The leather seats and nav display are upgrades from the base 1 Series, but the added "decor" items are white plastic with blue stickers on them and they detract from the quality appearance of the interior.

Here are the pics: Debate the aesthetics as you will...

Attachments

• IMG_4099a.jpg
    IMG_4099a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4103a.jpg
    IMG_4103a.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4116a.jpg
    IMG_4116a.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 237
tailgate1234 said:
Also, this ActiveE had no stickers and no badge of any kind on the rear. The only way you would know it is the ActiveE is the very small badge on the front right and left saying "EDRIVE" and the lack of an exhaust. The interior appeared to be upgraded from a standard 1 series as well.
OK, that sounds like John's car. He picked it up last Friday at Stevens Creek BMW. Thank you for posting your review, Boomer. Enjoyed reading the original as well. I'm not a huge fan of this conversion EV, but I like the handling, and the added range.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=333075310063103&set=o.239198747743&type=1&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surfingslovak said:
tailgate1234 said:
OK, that sounds like John's car. He picked it up last Friday at Stevens Creek BMW. Thank you for posting your review, Boomer. Enjoyed reading the original as well. I'm not a huge fan of this conversion EV, but I like the handling, and the added range.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=333075310063103&set=o.239198747743&type=1&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, looks way better without the stickers. I'm torn, though, because I'd like to see the cars advertising their power train. :D

surfingslovak said:
tailgate1234 said:

Yes, that was my ActiveE you spotted (username "John" in the ActiveE forum). I am a huge fan of this "conversion EV." It replaced my Leaf. The dealer removed the stickers for free.

The biggest difference with the ActiveE is the regen. It takes some getting used to, but I rather like driving around while rarely needing to use the brakes. I took Highway 17 from Santa Cruz to Los Gatos last weekend, and watched as my estimated range increased by four miles while going downhill from the summit to Los Gatos.

Too bad I have to return it in two years. But supposedly the BMW i3 will be available by then.

Here are some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1162...s/5713156802554974897?authkey=CNDYhtzt4_3UgwE

Glad you're enjoying it so much, John, and thanks for the pictures. The steering feel really reminded me of my 328i coupe, which is a good thing. There really is something special about the feel behind the wheel of a BMW.

Wow, that large shroud under the hood really makes it hard to see any of the working parts. But I guess that it's mainly batteries under the hood, since the motor and transmission are in the rear.

Tesla said:
surfingslovak said:
tailgate1234 said:

Yes, that was my ActiveE you spotted (username "John" in the ActiveE forum). I am a huge fan of this "conversion EV." It replaced my Leaf. The dealer removed the stickers for free.

The biggest difference with the ActiveE is the regen. It takes some getting used to, but I rather like driving around while rarely needing to use the brakes. I took Highway 17 from Santa Cruz to Los Gatos last weekend, and watched as my estimated range increased by four miles while going downhill from the summit to Los Gatos.

Too bad I have to return it in two years. But supposedly the BMW i3 will be available by then.

Here are some pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1162...s/5713156802554974897?authkey=CNDYhtzt4_3UgwE

How did you "replace" the Leaf? Did you trade-in the Leaf for the ActiveE?

tailgate1234 said:

If you work in or near the Palo Alto Square office complex and you drive a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid, you might drop Craig Lewis of the Clean Coalition a note at [email protected].

http://www.clean-coalition.org/leadership/

Like me, Craig works in the office complex and he is working with the building management to get some Level 2 EVSEs installed. Craig would like to present building management with a list of people that work in the office complex and drive electric vehicles.

Tesla said:
tailgate1234 said:

If you work in or near the Palo Alto Square office complex and you drive a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid, you might drop Craig Lewis of the Clean Coalition a note at [email protected].

http://www.clean-coalition.org/leadership/

Like me, Craig works in the office complex and he is working with the building management to get some Level 2 EVSEs installed. Craig would like present building management with a list of people that work in the office complex and drive electric vehicles.

I just sent him an email

Back