Bought a 2011 Leaf on 03/15/2015 with a "new pack", but...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91040 said:
The point is it is fraud if they claimed the car had a new traction battery and it didn't. Request proof that it was done.

That's kind of my point. The sale is done, nothing prevents them from saying "no, go away", and then what? If anything, I've tipped them off that I know they're bullshitting me, and they will be even more careful about making sure not to admit anything.

I guess mainly I'm just trying to find out of what I suspect is going on is what is likely happening (resetting the BCM), and if so, perhaps I can go around them and get corporate to try to address it in some manner instead of having to deal with these dipshits.

They've already done a couple of other things during the sales process that lead me to believe that they were either incompetent or less than honest about the whole thing anyway... this is just fuel on the fire.

It is problematic if you do not have a written statement from the dealer that the battery had been replaced.

However, with your battery data, the dash could only indicate 12 capacity bars if the computer was reset. That is still fraud, no matter what they did or didn't tell you.

The original traction battery warranty covers capacity loss that is not "gradual". Nissan bases this on the capacity bars. Yours should drop rather fast. Document the number of bars, date and mileage when you bought the car and each time one disappears. Nissan won't be happy if they have to replace a battery due to the dishonesty of one of their dealers.

Well, unfortunately since you bought two months ago you can't just take it back. I would start collecting all of the information you can about the car history, what the dealer provided in writing, and anything they "said" (which unfortunately may be difficult to prove). If they actually documented in the sale agreement that it was a new battery (which I doubt), then you will have a pretty good case. Read up on the other fraudulent battery reset (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18539&hilit=+222) and everything about the battery degradation (several threads on this). You have LeafSpy, so you can measure and predict when (Ahr reading) you will lose your 4th bar. If needed, there are definitely ways to speed up degradation (hmmm, parking in a solar green house might warm things a bit). Then, if you're lucky, you will actually get a new pack before the 5 yr/60,000 mi warranty. Otherwise, I fear litigation against the dealership may be the only other way forward.

91040 said:
However, with your battery data, the dash could only indicate 12 capacity bars if the computer was reset. That is still fraud, no matter what they did or didn't tell you.

Well, I don't have any proof of it being full, but here's a pic I got of the meter when the first bar dropped on 5/11/2015

http://i.imgur.com/2DeEL1w.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I should point out, this was taken at work, before leaving to drive the 22 mile trip home. It's mostly down grade, so I don't have too much trouble with the range but I'm consistently on 1 bar when I get there and usually hit the LBW when I don't feather it the whole way.

kuri said:
91040 said:

Well, I don't have any proof of it being full, but here's a pic I got of the meter when the first bar dropped on 5/11/2015

http://i.imgur.com/2DeEL1w.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: I should point out, this was taken at work, before leaving to drive the 22 mile trip home. It's mostly down grade, so I don't have too much trouble with the range but I'm consistently on 1 bar when I get there and usually hit the LBW when I don't feather it the whole way.
Just some advice: when you take photos like this, be sure to have one with as much info as possible (the odometer, etc.), and preferably something identifying you in the photo. Otherwise the dealer could say you just found it on the internet.

91040 said:
The original traction battery warranty covers capacity loss that is not "gradual". Nissan bases this on the capacity bars. Yours should drop rather fast. Document the number of bars, date and mileage when you bought the car and each time one disappears. Nissan won't be happy if they have to replace a battery due to the dishonesty of one of their dealers.

Is there anywhere I can find this documented in any kind of official manner?

This vehicle is almost four years old. As such, it should have had three official annual checks of the battery capacity done. This data is all sent to Nissan Corporate. In other words, they HAVE the data showing previous measurements of your battery capacity. I would ask Nissan to provide you with the results of those tests.

RegGuheert said:
This vehicle is almost four years old. As such, it should have had three official annual checks of the battery capacity done. This data is all sent to Nissan Corporate. In other words, they HAVE the data showing previous measurements of your battery capacity. I would ask Nissan to provide you with the results of those tests.

That's a very interesting point. I will contact them about this and find out what they say.

According to Corporate, there's no record of a battery test being done on this car. I find that odd since I just had one done this morning, but perhaps that one hasn't made it to them yet.

Does anyone know if there's a different type of battery test besides the 15 minute test they do that has the picture of the gauge on it?

kuri said:
According to Corporate, there's no record of a battery test being done on this car. I find that odd since I just had one done this morning, but perhaps that one hasn't made it to them yet.
So that brings up a good question which we have previously discussed: If the first owner does not have the capacity tests done, will Nissan honor the battery capacity warranty for a subsequent owner? I'd definitely be asking them that question.
kuri said:
Does anyone know if there's a different type of battery test besides the 15 minute test they do that has the picture of the gauge on it?
Yes, there is a Cell-Voltage Loss Inspection (CVLI)test which looks for low cells. However, I seriously doubt that test was ever run.

RegGuheert said:
If the first owner does not have the capacity tests done, will Nissan honor the battery capacity warranty for a subsequent owner? I'd definitely be asking them that question.

Yes, there is a Cell-Voltage Loss Inspection (CVLI)test which looks for low cells. However, I seriously doubt that test was ever run.

I have asked them multiple times, and they have told me every time that the car is eligible and does have the battery warranty intact. This most recent call, I have a recording of for proof.

I will look into getting that test done as well. It sounds like that will be the "smoking gun" I need to prove this out instead of relying on the BCM's false readings.

kuri said:
This most recent call, I have a recording of for proof.

I will look into getting that test done as well. It sounds like that will be the "smoking gun" I need to prove this out instead of relying on the BCM's false readings.

I hope that somebody, either you or the dealer, initiated the call with a "This call may be recorded..." disclaimer - California requires two party consent to record phone conversations.

mwalsh said:
kuri said:
This most recent call, I have a recording of for proof.

I hope that somebody, either you or the dealer, initiated the call with a "This call may be recorded..." disclaimer - California requires two party consent to record phone conversations.

I'm well aware of recording laws and how to make sure I'm on the legal side of them.

kuri said:
I don't think that test will help you. You can easily do it yourself using LeafSpy to find out. I have provided the exact instructions from the 2011 Service Manual in this post.

Back