Bought orphan out of state...question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rktennis

I am shipping a new Leaf from an out of state dealer. The shipping will probably take 7-10 days. I'm wondering if I would be asking too much to have the out of state dealership send my evse to evseupgrade.com for me so that I would have it returned to me upgraded by the time the car arrived at my residence. Thoughts?

Will you really need it? I use 110 except for once a week - so you may not even need the upgrade.

It might be asking too much, but I can not see a downside to asking.

Can you borrow one, until you get yours back if you wait?

I would have them send it to you directly, or go pick it up and not tell them why and send it off to get the upgrade on your own. I just can't imagine it would be starting off on the right foot to have them send it directly to have it hacked. I just don't trust dealers and how they use any information they get to try and screw you out of coverage down the line. That's not Nissan in particular, that's the entire breed across the board... just my two cents.
g

I guess I'll try trickle charging for right now, and then if needed, I'll go for the $75 evseupgrade.com advance purchase. I am just trying to save some $$$. I am low man on the wealth spectrum in this forum and this purchase has taken many years of scrimping and saving to afford (teacher salary). Lots of PB & J sandwiches lately! But I wouldn't change it...I am really happy to go electric.

Cheers!

Rktennis said:
I guess I'll try trickle charging for right now, and then if needed, I'll go for the $75 evseupgrade.com advance purchase. I am just trying to save some $$$. I am low man on the wealth spectrum in this forum and this purchase has taken many years of scrimping and saving to afford (teacher salary). Lots of PB & J sandwiches lately! But I wouldn't change it...I am really happy to go electric.

Cheers!

Hey, nurse here....also on the low end of spectrum! We are not all upper tier here. But it was time to replace our car and the LEAF worked for us. But those monthly payments are sobering. :lol:

I'm even lower as I'm temporarily retired, used part of my IRA to pay for the PVs, then using the tax credits (fed and state) from those plus the sale of my 2000 Honda GX to make each month's lease payment for three years. I have no idea what I'm going to do after three years, but take it one day at a time. :mrgreen:

You will likely be fine with the choice you have made - 110 is fine for most drivers. You don't need to spend the extra money for a charger if you park for 12 hours a night anyway. You will likely be able to do the 80%, and you will start to see the fuel savings quickly.

Hope you can educate the youth, they are the targets of the ICE ads.

No Plug, No Deal. Drive it into them.

Rktennis said:

Cheers!
Another option is befriend a local fellow Leafer who has a home charging station already to see if you can borrow his charger (or rent it for a lower price than $75) while yours is being sent away for the upgrade. Or plan to use charging stations at your local dealers or local places while your EVSE is out for the upgrade. If there's a will, there's a way.

Back