Braking update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I just got back from my yearly battery check and having the grabby brake NTB done.

What a difference!. The car went from a mostly love it to total love it. No more sudden unintended stops. When I first got the car I was nearly rear ended in an intersection when I locked up the car. Now it feels like a normal car with smooth braking, I highly recommend the firmware fix for everyone.

GlennD said:
I just got back from my yearly battery check and having the grabby brake NTB done.

What a difference!. The car went to a mostly love it to total love it. No more sudden unintended stops. When I first got the car I was nearly rear ended in an intersection when I locked up the car. Now it feels like a normal car with smooth braking, I highly recommend the firmware fix for everyone.

I've been hesitant to get the upgrade since i've become used to the brakes the way they are. I'm afraid I'll have to get used to them all over again.

It's a good idea to do so so that if you ever drive another vehicle, you'll brake normally in it and not be used to correcting for the Leaf's problem...

adric22 said:
I've been hesitant to get the upgrade since i've become used to the brakes the way they are. I'm afraid I'll have to get used to them all over again.

I thought this update was only for the 2011?
If it applies to the 2012 that's great although I'm a little hesitant... I wonder how it works, is it by reducing the regeneration and using more brake pad?

jcan said:
If it applies to the 2012 that's great although I'm a little hesitant... I wonder how it works, is it by reducing the regeneration and using more brake pad?
The NTB was updated to include 2012 vehicles.

No, it works by simply changing the brake algorithm to make it less sensitive at slow speeds...

jcan said:

Are you noticing more of a tendency for friction brakes to be applied on moderate-to-heavy braking, and when approaching slow speeds? It seems regen is applying less than before and friction is applying more.

This is how I thought the update would work... Use more friction or brake pad at the lower speeds. I like regenerative brakes as it's a kind of "game" for me to see how much I can regenerate, but it does get tired when they grab all the time at the low end speeds....I haven't gone in for the update but next week is looking like the time.

jcan said:
The dealership told me it didn't apply to my March 2011 car. Should I insist on getting it anyway? I don't have a serious problem with this, but it does grab sometimes if I am creeping/stopping, say approaching an overloaded traffic signal or 4-way stop sign.

Ray

planet4ever said:
jcan said:
The dealership told me it didn't apply to my March 2011 car. Should I insist on getting it anyway? I don't have a serious problem with this, but it does grab sometimes if I am creeping/stopping, say approaching an overloaded traffic signal or 4-way stop sign.

Ray
I took my 2012 in for the brake update and winter tires. They did the tires no problems and said my car was all updated from an earlier time so not to worry. I told them about the brake update and could they check, to be sure to be sure. It took them another hour or so but they came back and said in a surprised way that the car accepted a brake update and that they now needed to get rid of a brake warning light :) That didn't take too long and I was on my way. So far the update is great!

Back