Buying a used LEAF - Questions about battery health

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evfanboy

Hello All, I am looking to buy a 2021 LEAF SV, with 17350 miles. The car has been in Eureka, CA, I believe with moderately colder climate. LEAF Spy tells me the following
- SOH - 93.20%
- 49 quick charges
- 566 L1/L2
- 5mV imbalance

I really need to get a car soon and I am seriously considering this car, but I am worried about the 49 quick charges. The other cars I saw did not have these many quick charges, usually less than 5-7 is what I see on other cars, Would this number of QC have caused significant battery degradation? The SOH seems to be in the expected range for a 2+ year car. The vehicle is priced at market value.

I have owned a Model 3 before and have babied my battery. I sold my M3 to downsize to a LEAF. I want to keep this car for the long term and want to make sure I am getting a good car. Please advice is this is a reasonable condition for the car and if I make a confident purchase.

Welcome to the forum. The 49 QCs are ok if they didn't dramatically raise the battery temperature. Absent any other red flags you can buy it. Just check the cell voltage differential at a state of charge of about 20% or less, if possible. If it doesn't shoot up to 50mv or more, you're Golden.

It's NOT going to be a model 3 battery management system, but the Leafspy report pretty much indicates it's a healthy Leaf!

If you can get a good price for the car, I suspect you will enjoy many years of reliable use from it.

The history of the car does not matter, the battery health does.

The SOH is "typical."
Follow Lefty's advice and convince yourself with LeafSpy that the pack does not have a weak cell. This is done by looking at the cell voltage histogram when the pack is mostly discharged

evfanboy said:
Hello All, I am looking to buy a 2021 LEAF SV, with 17350 miles. The car has been in Eureka, CA, I believe with moderately colder climate. LEAF Spy tells me the following
- SOH - 93.20%
- 49 quick charges
- 566 L1/L2
- 5mV imbalance

Take a look at my 2021 SV Plus
https://www.findmyelectric.com/listings/2021-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-218549/

You can PM me to discuss my experience with this particular SV if you like - from the battery degradation perspective. Also, it is possible to buy a used EV and receive the $4000 tax credit for qualified buyers. I'm also willing to negotiate if that credit is not available to you. Depends on shipping to some extent, but mine is in "like new" condition - except the tires and battery of course.

Thank you all for your insightful comments. I value the collective advice from this group and has inspired me to consider the LEAF seriously. I'll be driving to the dealership this coming weekend to make a purchase. Thanks!

Hi to all,

I am looking to buy used Nissan Leaf 2019 40KWH. Why the Nissan Leaf 2019 40KWh dashboard show 128,000km (79000mile) but leafspy app show 79000km.

And SOH is 87.65% and 1278 QCs & 727 L1/L2s . Is it worth to buy?

Thank you,

leafnissancyp said:
Hi to all,

I am looking to buy used Nissan Leaf 2019 40KWH. Why the Nissan Leaf 2019 40KWh dashboard show 128,000km (79000mile) but leafspy app show 79000km.

And SOH is 87.65% and 1278 QCs & 727 L1/L2s . Is it worth to buy?

Thank you,

There are some region differences which might cause weird mileage quirks on LeafSpy. Best to assume the car has 128000 km. SOH is relatively good but QC count is suspiciously high, with a quick charge on average every 100km. Depends a lot on the price, but these stats sound like the car was used as a taxi and I would personally be quite wary of it.

I think I also got an inaccurate Leafspy odometer reading on mileage when I first connected to my 2018 Leaf. Then I found something either here on the forum, or in the Leafspy help document that suggested an edit in Leafspy settings that immediately fixed the anomaly.

I wish I could recall off the top of my head.

Back