Can one switch modes (D,B,N) too much when driving?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO2Free

Hi guys and gals - I've got a 2013, and I switch modes a lot when I'm driving. For example, as I'm coming to the top of a hill and I know there is a stoplight coming up, I'll pop it into N near the top of the hill to slow a little (but not as much as with regen) then as I get closer to the light I'll go to D for a little regen and more slowing, then to B so that I'm just about stopped by the time I need to apply the friction brakes. It's like a game to me - I try to do it so I don't slow down much differently from traffic in general but still am not using my friction brakes much at all. Or I'll approach a sharp corner and go from D to B through the corner and then back to D without ever touching the brake pedal. However, I was wondering if my constant mode-switching could be damaging my car. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! :)

I haven't seen anything that said there is a thing like shifting too often. Makes sense because all you're really doing is changing the mapping of throttle position to power output/input for the motor.

I only drive in B mode (with ECO on), and use my right foot for throttle modulation, which is regen modulation. I see no advantage whatsoever from switching through all those modes, and I see several disadvantages.

Just leave it in B, and use your right foot carefully (having ECO switched on makes throttle/regen modulation that much easier).

My $0.02.
-Tal

+1

I was thinking the same thing. Just use the B and Eco as they were intended and you will be fine. Just a little foot pressure will modulate the regen to as much or little as you need.

I usually use <R>everse at speed to get to neutral.. It complains by beeping but I find it an easier motion than trying to hold <N>eutral.

The shifting is software, isn't it? Hopefully Nissan doesn't have a Toyota "Thread X" issue.

When you start to read the details of the Toyota unintended accelerateration and the plethora of bad hardware and software design issues, it makes you really take pause.

A couple of threads on the subject:
http://tinyurl.com/l5kqfrq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://tinyurl.com/plapu8d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back