CANbus 0-60 time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
That 0-60 curve is more like a straight line than a curve. How does that compare to gas cars?
...For the first 50-100 feet I was ahead of him, then he left me in the dust...

Yes, compared to a gasoline car, EVs like the LEAF tend to be quicker "off the line", but then "stabilize" and could be overtaken by a gas car that has less low end torque, but more high end horsepower.
f4e5d9e47a7f42.jpg

Any driver who knows what they are doing knows how to anticipate and beat that ICE lag be it auto or manual... On an automatic, it couldn't be easier...

TEG said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
That 0-60 curve is more like a straight line than a curve. How does that compare to gas cars?
...For the first 50-100 feet I was ahead of him, then he left me in the dust...
Yes, compared to a gasoline car, EVs like the LEAF tend to be quicker "off the line", but then "stabilize" and could be overtaken by a gas car that has less low end torque, but more high end horsepower.
f4e5d9e47a7f42.jpg

It you are drag racing and have a xmas tree you'd have a small warning, or if you could see the light change on the cross direction, otherwise you might not know when the light is going to go green, which would mean both drivers on a level playing field.

Of course you can compensate for ICE lag by revving it up and brake-torquing (in an automatic) or sidestepping the clutch (manual). Still, the leaf is pretty quick initially, even with the almost 3 second delay before it gives us full power. Can you imagine what would happen with sticky tires and no ramp?!? Wow!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Of course you can compensate for ICE lag by revving it up and brake-torquing (in an automatic) or sidestepping the clutch (manual).
Can you not brake-torque a Leaf?

Rusty said:
Ingineer said:
Of course you can compensate for ICE lag by revving it up and brake-torquing (in an automatic) or sidestepping the clutch (manual).

There is no torque converter/clutch and I'd imagine pressing the brake while you are stopped kills power to the motor. I'm curious to try it now. :)

DurkaDurka said:
Rusty said:

There is no torque converter/clutch and I'd imagine pressing the brake while you are stopped kills power to the motor. I'm curious to try it now. :)
You can, with only light brake pedal force, such as what's needed when parking on a steep hill. Had brake pressure shuts off the drive. Of course, in any event, this serves no point as it would in a gasser. (to increase ICE RPM, and thus peak power)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Rusty said:
You can, with only light brake pedal force, such as what's needed when parking on a steep hill. Hard brake pressure shuts off the drive. Of course, in any event, this serves no point
Possibly interestingly, you *can* do this with a Volt. While stopped you can stand on the brake and accelerator at the same time (and the car hunches forward menacingly). It pulls 3.5kW and puts about 170 ft-lbs on the motor.

But in my OBD time trials so far it looks like it makes no difference in 0-45 speeds. I need to instrument APP and brake to get a good "zero" time, since my last runs just timed from first motion to 45.

I'm surprised the system doesn't kill with both pedals stomped. I haven't tried it at speed, and I don't think I want to...

Back