Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree that full charge is best indication of full capacity.

there is really little to say against that. if you need to fully charge to check GIDs. do so in a way that allows you to drive soon after that happens

The battery ECU does obviously compensate for temperature, drift, and other anomalies. It calculates SoC by coulomb counting, which it does by integrating the output from a compensated hall-effect ammeter. It maintains an internal count of amp-hours stored, then uses this to generate Gids and and SoC. Since this method is not highly accurate, they periodically correct these numbers when they have known data points to correct against. This is usually done with an open-circuit calculation of SoC. They look at the unloaded voltage, take into account temperature and total capacity current available and then are able to derive a more accurate SoC that is applied as a correction.

Once I'm able to get you LEAFSCAN, which I'm working on as fast as I can, we'll have good figures for all this and we can stop speculation.

Right now, for those with a Gid meter or a rewired Scangauge, looking at the watt-hours (gids) after a "full" charge is your best capacity gauge.

-Phil

When I was QCing today, I talked to one of the ECO techs who owns or leases a LEAF. He took it into the dealer because it wouldn't charge after the EVBS light stayed on (after using Riverview's DCQC). When he left the dealer (they just cleared the codes), he was missing one capacity bar, but a few minutes later driving home it came back. He also said he had talked to one of the techs that was here testing these packs, and was told to expect to lose a capacity bar every 15K miles. He did a check on his actual usable capacity (after an L2 100% charge) and it's now only 17.6 kW hs. He will lose that 12th bar again soon.
He also told me that he used to park it in the sun all day and one time he came out to leave and the ambient temp reading from the car was 125F. He had charged it on L2 during the day and used precooling before he left. He had ten temp bars (one from the red). As he drove away, he could only go 25mph all the way home, but it never went to Turtle, just the speed of Turtle.

LEAFfan said:
He also said he had talked to one of the techs that was here testing these packs, and was told to expect to lose a capacity bar every 15K miles.
If that were true, I strongly doubt that Nissan would have marketed the Leaf in Phoenix.

He did a check on his actual usable capacity (after an L2 100% charge) and it's now only 17.6%.
I assume this is a typo--87.6%?

He also told me that he used to park it in the sun all day and one time he came out to leave and the ambient temp reading from the car was 125F.
Perhaps that is the real reason he would be losing capacity--heat, not mileage.

Ingineer said:
The battery ECU does obviously compensate for temperature, drift, and other anomalies. It calculates SoC by coulomb counting, which it does by integrating the output from a compensated hall-effect ammeter. It maintains an internal count of amp-hours stored, then uses this to generate Gids and and SoC. Since this method is not highly accurate, they periodically correct these numbers when they have known data points to correct against. This is usually done with an open-circuit calculation of SoC. They look at the unloaded voltage, take into account temperature and total capacity current available and then are able to derive a more accurate SoC that is applied as a correction.

Once I'm able to get you LEAFSCAN, which I'm working on as fast as I can, we'll have good figures for all this and we can stop speculation.

Right now, for those with a Gid meter or a rewired Scangauge, looking at the watt-hours (gids) after a "full" charge is your best capacity gauge.

-Phil
That begs the question of why, if they are able to "derive a more accurate SoC", don't they use that method all the time to report the SoC?

aqn said:
That begs the question of why, if they are able to "derive a more accurate SoC", don't they use that method all the time to report the SoC?

It requires OCV to make the adjustment. That means the battery at rest (no load). So, it can't be done continuously.

Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
He also said he had talked to one of the techs that was here testing these packs, and was told to expect to lose a capacity bar every 15K miles.
If that were true, I strongly doubt that Nissan would have marketed the Leaf in Phoenix.

Why not? I live in much colder climate than CA and AZ, at my brand new LEAF had worse range that Phoenix one with lost capacity. They could be working on assumption that people care more about range than actual capacity of battery. Yesterday temprature was over 75F for first time for me, which meant I saw 6th temp bar for first time excludind QC and it seemed like I got new battery, it seems that 100 miles is real possiblity now.

September said:
Stoaty said:
LEAFfan said:
Why not?
Because it appears that much of the capacity loss being experienced in Phoenix is permanent.
September said:
I live in much colder climate than CA and AZ, at my brand new LEAF had worse range that Phoenix one with lost capacity. They could be working on assumption that people care more about range than actual capacity of battery. Yesterday temprature was over 75F for first time for me, which meant I saw 6th temp bar for first time excludind QC and it seemed like I got new battery, it seems that 100 miles is real possiblity now.
The good news is that your battery is not likely to be wearing out quickly. In a cold climate, you will have low capacity when it is cold but it seems yout LEAF battery should last a long time.

We have yet to go through a winter in out LEAF, but fortunately our range expectation is only about 40 miles round-trip.

With respect, the situation for people in cooler climates has NOTHING to do with what folks in hotter climes are experiencing. We know your range sucks in winter. So what? What relevance does that have to the discussion here?

September said:
Why not? I live in much colder climate than CA and AZ, at my brand new LEAF had worse range that Phoenix one with lost capacity.

Ireland is not an Artic wasteland, at worst all the rain and mud is affecting your range but most likely it is the way you drive or use the heater. Just taking a guess, I dont know you.

The annual mean temperature in Ireland is about 50 °F.. just about perfect for extending battery life. I keep unused lithium batteries in the fridge at 40 °F.

mwalsh said:
With respect, the situation for people in cooler climates has NOTHING to do with what folks in hotter climes are experiencing. We know your range sucks in winter. So what? What relevance does that have to the discussion here?

Nissan markets 100mile range car and if we think about LEAF as a potential for transport rather then store of electricity then hot climate battery degradation would be offset by much better battery peformance.

September said:
Nissan markets 100mile range car and if we think about LEAF as a potential for transport rather then store of electricity then hot climate battery degradation would be offset by much better battery peformance.

Surely that offset is going to be short lived?

Losing 15%+ capacity each year will suck pond water come year 3 or 4.

Code:
Seq Yr	Year	Capacity %	Degredation	Range	"5% Temp 
Boost"
1	2011	100.00	15%	73	77
2	2012	85.00	15%	62	65
3	2013	72.25	15%	53	55
4	2014	61.41	15%	45	47
5	2015	52.20	15%	38	40
6	2016	44.37	15%	32	34
7	2017	37.71	15%	28	29
8	2018	32.06	15%	23	25
9	2019	27.25	15%	20	21
10	2020	23.16	15%	17	18
11	2021	19.69	15%	14	15
12	2022	16.73	15%	12	13
13	2023	14.22	15%	10	11
14	2024	12.09	15%	9	9
15	2025	10.28	15%	8	8

5% temp range boost is *very* generous. Assumes average year round temps of 120F :)

September said:
I'm sorry, but there is a BIG difference here. Let's take two people who each bought a LEAF last month, April 2012, based on Nissan's claim of 100-mile range. One lives in Limerick while the other lives in Phoenix. They each have a 70-mile commute. They test the LEAF before their purchase and confirm that they still have two bars left on their battery charge gauge when they arrive home. So far so good.

Both owners make their commute fine for he rest of 2012, but the owner in Limerick starts having problems getting to work starting in January 2013. He complains to Nissan that it does not have the range they advertised. They verify that the car is working as designed and he leaves, angry. Because he cannot make his commute in the wintertime, he decides to sell the car. He sells it in "like new" condition for 75% of what he paid to someone who has a 40-mile commute who feels they got a great deal.

The Phoenix owner fares much better. He is able to make his commute without difficulty for three full years before he has any problems. Then he simply cannot make it without slowing to dangerously low speeds on the highway. He complains to Nissan also, but they explain that gradual capacity loss over time is not covered under the warranty. In addition, the effects of heat on batteries in early Nissan LEAFs in Phoenix have been widely reported in the local news, on the Internet and by word-of-mouth. Nissan has announced that the 2016 model will contain a battery with 25% more range and an available hot-weather package. He decides to sell his LEAF, too, but finds that he is not able to get more than $10,000.00 for the car due to the need to replace the battery in the near future.

So, you could argue that the buyer in Limerick lost more money on an annualized basis than the Phoenix buyer, and you would be right. But he lost money because the car was not the right choice for him, not because the car has degraded in any way. Perhaps Nissan should have been more clear about range, but he certainly could have learned about this issue on his own.

The Phoenix buyer, OTOH, has good reason to believe that his car will manage his commute based on public statements that Nissan has made. He knows that Nissan has done extensive testing nearby in Sonora, which gives him some comfort. But after three years his car is seriously degraded from new condition. He had expected that to happen, but only after six-or-more years. So is this his fault, or Nissan's? I would say probably neither's. Both took a risk with new technology and there was a problem. So should the Phoenix buyer bear the brunt of the financial loss? Legally, yes. But, as TickTock said in a recent post, if things turn out to be this bad, I'm sure Nissan will do the right thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure they will be FORCED to do the right thing. If Nissan is proactive and steps in to protect their customers's interest by sharing in the loss, they will no-doubt come out great in this situation. If they decide instead to hold their customers to the letter of their warranties util a court steps in to make them pay, they may find selling LEAFs in hot climates to be a difficult proposition in the future.

So, as mwalsh has said, these are completely different situations.

RegGuheert said:
Both owners make their commute fine for he rest of 2012, but the owner in Limerick starts having problems getting to work starting in January 2013. He complains to Nissan that it does not have the range they advertised. They verify that the car is working as designed and he leaves, angry. Because he cannot make his commute in the wintertime, he decides to sell the car. He sells it in "like new" condition for 75% of what he paid to someone who has a 40-mile commute who feels they got a great deal.

The Limerick customer could do like Steve Marsh,

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...iles-in-a-nissan-leaf-electric-car-no-problem

Wear gloves and jacket in the winter, use a CLA powered electric seat warmer and keep his vehicle. Then in 2013 trade for one with a vastly improved heating system.

Don't see how the Limerick customer made a terrible mistake. It's the heater in the 2011/2012 LEAF's that has a jaw dropping effect on range, not so much battery temp. 2013 model promises significantly less impact from heating.

JPWhite said:
The Limerick customer could do like Steve Marsh,

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...iles-in-a-nissan-leaf-electric-car-no-problem

Wear gloves and jacket in the winter, use a CLA powered electric seat warmer and keep his vehicle. Then in 2013 trade for one with a vastly improved heating system.

Don't see how the Limerick customer made a terrible mistake. It's the heater in the 2011/2012 LEAF's that has a jaw dropping effect on range, not so much battery temp. 2013 model promises significantly less impact from heating.
The effect of cold weather on range is much more than whether or not one uses the heater. I don't need to use the cabin heater in winter—except for preheating—and my range is significantly less in winter than in warmer weather. Example: mileage efficiency in January was 4.3 miles/kWh, and in May it has been 5.0 miles/kWh.

The reasons for this have been much discussed elsewhere and include increased drag from more dense air, increased rolling resistance, decreased traction efficiency from snowy or wet roads. Add to that the decreased storage capacity from a cold battery and the effect on range is considerable. In January I got about 69 miles to LBW and in May I got 87 miles to LBW.

It may be colder here in winter than in Ireland but Colorado is pretty mild compared to places like Norway. Cold weather matters.

Nevertheless, I agree that seasonal variations in range have nothing to do with permanent loss of battery capacity in very hot weather areas. I, too, hope that Nissan will do the right thing and take care of the Phoenix LEAF owners.

Back